Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a set of pinlocks that never seemed to fit right, a pair of S4s from Amazon that work okay (they push deep into my ear with a helmet and it freaking hurts). The best I have found is basic, no shape cylinder foams. When they get dirty, toss em. Keep a dozen in a pocket. They make everything sound garbled and sometimes amplify helmet buffeting (sounds like thumping) but they definitely help. I have tinnitus from years if shooting and drumming without ear protection. Smart, I was. I just hate how much of a pain in the ass it is to get the foams to go in correct. 1/5 tries actually makes it into the canal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a set of pinlocks that never seemed to fit right, a pair of S4s from Amazon that work okay (they push deep into my ear with a helmet and it freaking hurts).
I tried the Pimlocks on someone here's recommendation and they suck.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I haven't gone through all the pages here.....but I've been a gigging musician for decades and I've been protecting my hearing with 'musician's ear plugs'. Regular ear plugs don't care about fidelity. The goal of musician's plugs is to reduce the volume...without altering the tone. (Just like turning the volume down) Back in the late 80's they had to shoot a silly putty type stuff in your ear, wait 5 minutes for it to harden, then send it away to have the volume reducing parts installed. It was all very time consuming and very expensive. Now they make over the counter musician's plugs. Here's what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-Protection-Professional-Cancelling-Motorcyclists/dp/B000V9PKZA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GPQM9TW2G7VDXW78E2JS

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I haven't gone through all the pages here.....but I've been a gigging musician for decades and I've been protecting my hearing with 'musician's ear plugs'. Regular ear plugs don't care about fidelity. The goal of musician's plugs is to reduce the volume...without altering the tone. (Just like turning the volume down) Back in the late 80's they had to shoot a silly putty type stuff in your ear, wait 5 minutes for it to harden, then send it away to have the volume reducing parts installed. It was all very time consuming and very expensive. Now they make over the counter musician's plugs. Here's what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-Protection-Professional-Cancelling-Motorcyclists/dp/B000V9PKZA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GPQM9TW2G7VDXW78E2JS
Post #5 in this thread shows my ear plugs that were made exactly this way without any additional parts. Took about a half hour or so to be ready.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a sound engineer by trade so hearing protection is near and dear to my heart, also important for me in particular as I rely on my ears as a source of income. This chart may help folks understand the "exposure vs. time" rule a bit better. These are only guidelines, as genetic disposition for hearing loss will vary person to person.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been running with a 200 pack of the Industrial strength Moldex Sparkplugs (can't post the link due to new account), a pair usually lasts me a day.

They were the most decibel-cutting plugs on a blog post that I can't for the life of me find at the moment, but the guy did a bunch of tests on a list of common plugs bought by motorcyclists.

I get a lot of wind noise (due to either a too-big helmet or a skinny neck), but the plugs let me hear a lot more of what's going on around me, without the wind.

When I first started riding last year I used the re-usable Alpine Motosafe Highway plugs for about 3 months, but they were terrible compared to the sparkplugs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just to update my earlier post, I switched from the NoNoise earplugs to Pinlocks. I prefer the Pinlocks. You get 2 sizes, but only one set of filters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always used Moldex Spark Plug foam plugs since I started to ride. The wind noise over 30mph was enough to give me a sore head and ringing ears. These plugs work fantasticly well, and are comfortable for all day wearing.

I now have custom molded ones from Ultimate Ear. These are very comfortable, fit perfectly and eliminate most of the wind noise. Yet even with a helmet on I can hear and speak to people no bother. I only paided around £40 for them at one of the motorcycle shows a few years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use Zildjians. Similar in type to Hearos, etc. but you get a spare, a good case, and multiple filters. The spare is in it's own compartment with the filters. The Zildjians are less noticeable for me in color and do not protrude like some others of this type, so no helmet rubbing when taking off or putting on.

I bought another set so I have 3 pair. One on the bike, one on the drum set, and one in the shotgun case. The shotgun isn't that loud, so they're perfect, and as others have noted, I can wear them under muffs when the need arises.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts