Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Legal exhaust in California

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Otroo 
#1 ·
Hey folks! I just bought myself a 2018 Honda rebel 300! I love the bike, but only a small issue... it sounds too quiet for me, and not only that, but I’m afraid cars won’t hear me and might get hurt. I’ve been looking for exhaust to make it growl a little more but Two Brother’s and Vance&Hines won’t ship to California. Can anyone help me out ? It’ll be greatly appreciated :D

#5 ·
I have the 500 so u may take this for what it is. I bought my first V&H used because it was difficult to find one then. Sold it after a few miles Because the sound was giving me headaches. Went back to stock. Somehow I missed the low rumble it made so I bought a new one from eBay For the second time. I just used silicone ear plugs . Now Im loving it. Btw, CHP never bothered me .

#6 ·
your post heading reads

"Legal exhaust in California"

Most people don't concern themselves with such a thing. But if you do....good luck finding such an animal....most aftermarket manufaturers state their exhausts are for off road use only.

#7 ·
Not sure what part of California you're from but in Southern California there are places that you cannot go with modified exhausts especially along the coast. Newport, Huntington, Laguna, Sunset and Seal beaches each have active enforcement of noise ordinances. They even had roadside flashing signs warning that loud exhausts are not allowed.

#8 ·
@longbeachgary is correct but as long as you're not being an idiot and just riding through it is highly unlikely you will be hassled. I have the Musarri slip on on my 500. It came with two separate baffles if you want to keep it quiet but add a little more Db's than stock. I run without the baffles almost always. Remember, no matter what you do to these Rebels it will never produce the bone rattling thunder of a big V-Twin or nails on a chalkboard screech of the crotch rockets. Another option you may think about is slip a 500 exhaust on the 300. The stock 300 muffler has he CAT it the muffler itself so if you switch it out to a 500 muffler you'll open it up just a tad. I know some of the 300 riders were doing this early on and seemed to like it. Looks bone stock and not obnoxious sounding at all and STILL CA compliant. Ebay is a good place to look for any of them

#9 · (Edited)
I have a shorty on my 500. While I have not gone to the beach, I have been though Huntington many times. My bike is not as loud as many of the "crotch rockets", and is far quieter than the very illegal "boom cars" that drive around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.