Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed all led lights. Turn signals are kuryakyn 1000’s. The rear installation went well. They are turn signal, running, and brake lights(4wire). The fronts were turn signal and running lights(only 2 wire)
My question is for the fronts. The rebel comes with 3 wires per turn signal. The kuryakyn turn signal lights only have 2 wires. I combined the turn signal and running light to the positive wire on the light and the ground to the ground wire. They work great. No problem except now the turn signal arrows on the gauge stay lit up 100% of the time.
2nd question. No problems with blowing fuses, shorts or anything but, combining the running light and turn signal light wires. Should I worry?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ltvystore 50Pack 60V 5A SR560 Through Hole Mount Schottky Barrier Rectifier Diodes
by Ltvystore
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742F4RJY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_AsSzDbEGT0KM3

Link to what I got on Amazon above. As far as installing, I used the below to attach. Pretty simple with a bit of trial and error if you are a novice like me.

Lockitt POSI-TAP 6 pack wire connectors 20-22 awg
by Buyers's Connection
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MPW54G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0tSzDb7YPHYQS

·
Registered
24 Posts
You know what? I used the posi-taps for all wiring connections but not the diodes. Those are simply twist and tape for me, like a splice, using electrical tape. Good luck. It was worth the effort if that helps any.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know what? I used the posi-taps for all wiring connections but not the diodes. Those are simply twist and tape for me, like a splice, using electrical tape. Good luck. It was worth the effort if that helps any.
Thanks soo much for that tip. It took some trial and error with where to install the diodes but, It worked out just fine. Truth be told, I didn’t notice that I bought the smoke lensed two wire turn signal until I got them in the mail. The three wired turn signal light was only available in clear/amber. I’m so glad, with your help, that I was able to keep this version of turn signal on the front. I owe ya 🍺 if we ever cross paths.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed all led lights. Turn signals are kuryakyn 1000’s. The rear installation went well. They are turn signal, running, and brake lights(4wire). The fronts were turn signal and running lights(only 2 wire)
My question is for the fronts. The rebel comes with 3 wires per turn signal. The kuryakyn turn signal lights only have 2 wires. I combined the turn signal and running light to the positive wire on the light and the ground to the ground wire. They work great. No problem except now the turn signal arrows on the gauge stay lit up 100% of the time.
2nd question. No problems with blowing fuses, shorts or anything but, combining the running light and turn signal light wires. Should I worry?
Would you mind posting a walk through or the steps you took? I just got a rebel a few weeks ago and am looking to replace the tail lights and turn signals. I have a good amount of experience wiring cars and stuff but am absolutely clueless when it comes to bikes so im just scared of messing up my bike by connecting the wrong wires:frown2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would also like to know! I'm wondering how strong you found the connection between the diode and the posi-locks. In my mind they would be quite weak, given the leads are typically very soft and breakable, but then again maybe I'm just not picturing the install right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to piggyback a question: I did the install on the right side and only used one hot wire and I have had no issues.
When I did the left side it worked until I took it out and rode it, and now it will not work. I checked the LED and it is still good, but I get no juice from the bike. The rear blinker on that side still works. Should I try the other hot wire and see if it will work or use both? It really has me puzzled.
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the way I wired it up with the diodes. It’s not the best of pics but here ya go. Remember, to test everything before sealing it all up. You will have defeated the purpose of the diode if installed backwards. The only reason I had to wire it up this way is because I have a set of 2 wired lights instead of 3 wire light. If you buy the 3 wired lights, you won’t need to do this. Wire for wire and your done. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts