Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been a beaten topic, but I can't find answer to my question still. See, I own 2017 CMX500A (yup, that is what one of the Rebel official model names is :) ). And I don't enjoy scrapping my pegs when I lean in turns. So, I thought to myself: there should be a way to detect a lean angle and tell me, the driver, when I am close to "scrapping" mode so I can stop leaning so much in turn. I explored options and found couple sensors, but they are integrated into newer, and mostly sport and supersport, bikes. And, even those - just showing lean angle in the dashboard. So it is not very useful in real turns where I need to focus on the road instead of looking at dashboard.

I thought Rebel model has its own angle sensor, and it seems it does - but mainly to shut engine off when bike has been dropped. BTW, not sure if it works on mine - just dropped it on sand and engine kept running.

Anyway, I wanted something that would be flashing big red light right into my face when I am leaning too much so that I won't need to focus on small number somewhere on dashboard. One idea I had is to get standalone lean angle sensor, hook it up to the bike frame in proper place and connect to big red light customly mounted next to dashboard. Question 1: Are there stand alone lean angle sensors that could be mounted on Rebel?

Another idea I have is, if there are no such sensors available, make a small contraption where each peg would have its own "sensor". That sensor would be nothing but just a detector of whether it touched road or not. I think I can attach it to each peg so that sensor extends couple inches from edge of peg - so that when bike leans in turn the sensor would touch road before peg would (as sensor would be closer to the road due to being extended from peg's edge). When it touches road - light up a big red light mounted next to dashboard. Question 2: anyone knows anything close to this schema? Maybe sensors from other areas (not biking) that works similar?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Take the rubber inserts out of the foot pegs, weld a down and backward leaning stub to the bottom of each footpeg, reinsert rubber bits. When you get close to "too far" the stubs will scrape and raise the footpegs.
Yamaha's version:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is this post a wind up to cheer us all in the chilly and wet autumn?

1. You are not the ‘driver’ you are the rider. Car owners drive, motorcyclists ride. Ridden-Rode-Ride-Rider.

2. You ain’t no Valentino Rossi or Kevin Schwantz so forget the MotoGP fantasies.

3. I’ve lost count of how many powerful bikes including Ducati’s I’ve ridden over the years and not one of them had a ‘lean sensor’. And...I didn’t scuff my knees or foot-pegs.

4. Get some advance training to teach you how to corner correctly. The U.K pursuit police ride very fast and are some of the world’s best highway riders but none bleat about wanting sensors - and...boy, do they know how to ride the twisties!

5. Buy six sets of knee pads. Fasten six to each knee and look a total tool as you get your knee down.

6. People who boast about scraping their pegs are just as bad as the clowns who talk about burning off the ‘chicken strips’. Oh so macho!

6. Join the real world of normal motorcycling and remember you are riding a puny 500 not a Hyabusa or an R1.

Keep Safe - Ride Safely - The Throttle Turns Both Ways

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
65 Posts
How often are you scraping the pegs exiting turns? I rode the Rebel pretty aggressively and never scraped. With the stock tire I feel like it would have low-sided before I made contact with the pegs. Then again I'm also not scraping the pegs on my R6 on the street either so maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
LOL at CDL's post.:)

Ganjubas here's a superb video you may enjoy. The latest lean angle is 70 degrees as mastered by Marquez - and we know what has happened to him! Don't forget the on screen lean angle started not for the public to view but to give feedback to the tyre manufacturers and the team engineers. How far they can push it.

Don't forget: On the track they have their own doctors and hospital and emergency helicopter but it don't stop them getting damaged for life - Rainey.

Enjoy & Ride Safe

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sorry I don't actually have answers to your questions.

However, I think it's a cool idea if I'm honest...but, completely pointless on a Rebel. Even on a street bike...you have so much lean available! I think it's been said by others, but do you plan on tracking your Rebel or something? Lol

I think this would be a little more useful on a Harley or an Indian or something like that, where it's much more common to scrape pegs. But then again, I've seen peg scrapers/scrape feelers (or wtv they're called) like the one in @Kaptor post on a lot of cruisers...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woah, so much hate for the newbie. I didn't expect to get as much. But it's OK, I can handle it :) I won't reply to all accusations - I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Just wanting to get to some answers (if at all possible). I already scrapped peg couple times in standard street turn - that is how this idea came to my mind, not because I am trying to "track" my rebel on the street. Also, I am a newbie, so while learning how to lean - I want to have some early signal that I am asking too much from my bike in a particular turn.

@Kaptor, thanks for sharing your suggestion, this makes sense to me. Although it won't alert me, but seems like it can give early indication that couple more degrees and peg will be scrapped.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No hate my friend, too strong a word, just common sense. You are talking about a cruiser motorcycle. You know, laid back, taking it easy and realising the purpose and limitations of the bike. If this was a MotoGP or WSBK forum or even a standard race track forum it would kind of make sense - but it isn’t.

If as you say you have scraped your peg on some standard street turns the solution is not a lean sensor but for you to carefully examine your riding style. You say you are ‘learning’. Great! Just make sure you don’t learn bad habits. Any good bike will go around bends and corners with just a little counter steering nudge.

Do you not think that Honda would not have fitted a lean angle sensor if they thought it necessary? Have you thought about the fact that if you lean too far over on a bad road surface that your peg or foot brake/gear lever may dig in and throw you off? Yes, it has happened.

There’s enough going on inside your speedo clock without any more distractions. The last thing you would want to be doing while riding around a bend would be to stare at your clock to see what your angle is while a truck is skidding toward you.

Enjoy the bike but don’t get carried away with ideas that could endanger your life.

Get yourself some professional track days if you want to ride like a MotoGP rider off the highway.

And finally...did you know that most racers don’t ride a bike on the highways. They think it’s too dangerous.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Woah, so much hate for the newbie. I didn't expect to get as much. But it's OK, I can handle it :) I won't reply to all accusations - I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Just wanting to get to some answers (if at all possible). I already scrapped peg couple times in standard street turn - that is how this idea came to my mind, not because I am trying to "track" my rebel on the street. Also, I am a newbie, so while learning how to lean - I want to have some early signal that I am asking too much from my bike in a particular turn.

@Kaptor, thanks for sharing your suggestion, this makes sense to me. Although it won't alert me, but seems like it can give early indication that couple more degrees and peg will be scrapped.
There's no hate, I honestly think it's an awesome novelty if possible. When I asked if you're tracking, I meant actually planning to track it, not on the streets.

Anyway, as a newbie to riding, and given that you've already scraped pegs, you should probably focus more on learning how much you need to lean, body positioning, subtle inputs, and proper entry speed in those turns rather than being focused on scrape avoidance itself. Sounds like you're taking turns at a much higher speed than appropriate if you have to lean that much into street turns. Again, no hate.

Use your body more...and I don't mean Rossi MotoGP style; a gentle shift of the upper body to the direction of the turn can greatly reduce the amount of lean you require. Countless channels on Utube dedicated to this topic. I was skeptical as a newbie myself (2 years now), but body positioning and speed mastering is an absolute gamechanger...give it a shot, it will save your life.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You won't get any hate from this group. Just some good natured ribbing and some genuine concern. Ride safe and rubber side down.

Reactions: Odin and Sooty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel I have to explain myself better. I am learning, including learning how to lean properly. While doing so - I am making mistakes. All I want is to help myself, and my bike, to know when I am about to make a mistake so that I would have a chance to correct it before actually making it.

Anyone has suggestions on initial lean angle detector solution?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Have you taken a course or are in the process of taking a course? The advice given by SC48 is very good.

Do you have any friends who are experienced riders? If yes, ask them to go out with you and to follow you to see what mistakes you maybe making.

Are there any advanced rider groups in your area who can help? I don’t know about the US but here in the U.K. there are many rider groups such as IAM - institute of Advance Motorists who often are willing to give a few hours to help a new rider. Likewise, the police also offer skills tuition to both new and experienced riders. Any police riders in your area who may help?

Without seeing what mistakes you may be making it is impossible to offer corrective advice on a forum other than the sound advice given by SC48.

Almost forgot! A graduated spirit level fastened across your bars would be perfect for solving your lean problem. 🤦‍♂️

Kevin’s videos are excellent. Good Luck and R-E-L-A-X you sound too anxious.

Another video. Notice nobody has their ass hanging off the seat like you see in MotoGP and show off idiots on YouTube. No sensors on these riders’ bikes!

Getting the Lean wrong! How not to do it at 4:21 Ouch!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I feel I have to explain myself better. I am learning, including learning how to lean properly. While doing so - I am making mistakes. All I want is to help myself, and my bike, to know when I am about to make a mistake so that I would have a chance to correct it before actually making it.

Anyone has suggestions on initial lean angle detector solution?
Problem is tech isn't going to help.
I'm still a scaredy cat with regards to leaning, my weight makes me feel I can't lean over as far as others, right or wrong that's how I feel, I just have to get over it.

Problem with any kind of sensor/system is that the max lean angle is going to change with tire, wear, temperature, surface and moisture and other factors, day to day, hour to hour. We just have to develop a feel in our azzes for what we can do at this particular time, at this particular turn right this minute.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The perfect Thanksgiving present for those who want to know their lean angle. Stick it on the tank or bars. Lights up in the dark. No need to worry ever again what angle you and your beloved CMX are leaning at. Also very good at telling you if you are walking straight or leaning after too many Thanksgiving drinks.

😹

Don’t ever drink alcohol and ride - never!

The lean angle for cruisers is revealed in the above videos.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
65 Posts
@ganjubus - the best option is I've seen presented so far is the peg feeler presented by Kaptor. Super simple and would give you plenty of warning before exceeding the lean angle of the bike. This feature is on both of my other bikes; CBR650R and R6. It was probably included on those as they are more inclined to lean than the Rebel, but adding it would be simple.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts