Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was in Michigan over the Canadian thanksgiving weekend. You folks are really in a hurry down there. People kept whizzing by me. Ride safe.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was in Michigan over the Canadian thanksgiving weekend. You folks are really in a hurry down there. People kept whizzing by me. Ride safe.
It's all about how you're used to driving.

I was stationed in Japan for 6 years, and it boggled my mind that the fastest speed limit I ever saw posted was 80kph, and that was on a 4 lane divided highway, blue skies and sunshine in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My second ride out of my first dozen (weeks ago) was on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive, which is fast-paced and has a ton of curves. I took a curve too fast and too hard and just about crashed into the median, but was able to stay calm and correct myself. Since then, I treat curves with respect, and have come to LOVE them. There were a bunch of curves on my ride to Michigan, and a car behind me was eager to go about 20 mph over the speed limit. I pulled off to the side to let the car pass - there's no reason to start taking curves faster than needed just because of pressure from traffic. I'm sure I'll get bolder as I continue riding, but until then, shiny side up, my friends, shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Cruzin,

That is a good idea to pull over when ever an aggressive driver is behind you....

Ride Safe!

Kenny G

·
Registered
80 Posts
My second ride out of my first dozen (weeks ago) was on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive, which is fast-paced and has a ton of curves. I took a curve too fast and too hard and just about crashed into the median, but was able to stay calm and correct myself. Since then, I treat curves with respect, and have come to LOVE them. There were a bunch of curves on my ride to Michigan, and a car behind me was eager to go about 20 mph over the speed limit. I pulled off to the side to let the car pass - there's no reason to start taking curves faster than needed just because of pressure from traffic. I'm sure I'll get bolder as I continue riding, but until then, shiny side up, my friends, shiny side up.
I find going your own speed, with whatever you're comfortable, is the best approach. I NEVER let other drivers dictate how fast I go. Go at a reasonable speed. Bit by bit I increase my speed in curves and on turns and feel comfortable. That's great that you figured it out so early. Hopefully those Michigan speed racers don't intimidate you too much. You'll feel like a pro in no time, I'm sure.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's all about how you're used to driving.

I was stationed in Japan for 6 years, and it boggled my mind that the fastest speed limit I ever saw posted was 80kph, and that was on a 4 lane divided highway, blue skies and sunshine in the middle of summer.
Honestly buddy, I'd rather people go too slowly than too fast, although that does sound a bit frustrating. How is the driving culture though in Japan? Do people speed, or drive aggressively, irrespective of speed limits?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im a MI native and we have some real classy drivers out here. Apparently not as bad as Cali/ LA though. Our highways go up to 85 mph, but I feel its often best to jet off the light and space myself between traffic and cruise at a solid 5-9 mph over speed limit. Some beautiful roads here in the mitten state.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Honestly buddy, I'd rather people go too slowly than too fast, although that does sound a bit frustrating. How is the driving culture though in Japan? Do people speed, or drive aggressively, irrespective of speed limits?
I was stationed up north, where it's less populated, so I can't speak for the whole country...

In town, with steady traffic, everyone was fairly courteous... nothing aggressive, and they fully understand the concept of zipper merging... never once saw someone trying to block another car from merging or changing lanes.

On the highways, slight speeding was pretty typical, but nothing extreme. One caveat to driving on the highways in Japan, though... most of them are toll roads, and they know how long it should take you to get from one toll gate to the next... So if you got there too fast, they would actually make you pull over and wait before letting you go through lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts