Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Kill switch intermittent issue

8K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Old biker dude 
#1 ·
I have intermittent issue with kill switch. I am turning off the bike with it without any issue, but sometimes want ignite when go back to working (on) position. Any suggestions to resolve the problem?
Thanks

#3 ·
Dude really? Lol, that's awesome 😂

RE switch: it's been known as an issue to some, there are a number of threads on it here. I'm not giving you the generic "search the forum" answer, I'm just saying it well documented.

There's nothing wrong with using the switch however way or however much you want to use it. Internally, could have gotten loose or dirty. Best way is to open it up and inspect. Like anything, can wear out prematurely.

#6 ·
Yeah I know you just know given how long you've been a member lol - my comments about the known issue was to OP. Also, was just laughing (not in a bad way) at the fix...which now that I think about it, not a bad idea unless you need to use it in an emergency and it's faulty...

#7 ·
lots of opinions on using the kill switch to turn off the bike. (and you know what they say about opinions)
You could also leave it in gear when you stop and extend the kickstand-that'll shut off the engine too.
Or you could read the manual and do as suggested.
Your choice

#8 ·
Yeah. This is my first bike so I rember clearly my first lesson when took the brand new Rebel from the shop: "to turn bike OFF use kill switch, when you want to turn bike on first turn the key than kill switch ON - that way you are checking if the kill switch work. Technician also said that this safety check should be performed every time when jumping on bike. So far I followed this for the past 2 years without having any problem. Now I hope the switch is just dirty.
Any link to check how to take out and clean (or change) the switch?

#9 ·
Those switches takes bad habits of intermittent not working from BMW bikes🤣, mine also acted-up few days ago... It helps to rock switch forth-back few times. Cleaning those switches? I'm afraid that is mission impossible, all microswitches (greetings from BMW) tiny, that tinniest could not be, so when they wil act up permanently, we only could change complete cluster.

#10 ·
IF only they didnt use inferior switches then this point wouldnt be.
Why is it older bikes never had this problem?
I dont care how you turn bike off, BUT if this switch is a problem and it gets wore out over time, keep the switch healthy by not over using it!
Again simple fix.

#11 ·
Mine switching bike off method is strictly by key and few days back, again, cannot start bike (rocking start and kill switches helps finally). And, boy, how tiny those switches and cables are... Last winter I have to redo cables on right cluster in wife's Yamaha Virago 250 from 1999. And you can put apart complete switch, clean and regrease (dielectric grease) contacts and they will last another two decades (at least!). And bike was neglected better par of its life.

#13 ·
We all have different habits and some lead to more wear and tear on marginal electronics. Because ignition switches have to carry more of a load, the contacts I think would be more robust mechanically.

My 1988 Honda Hawk GT has a kill switch, and it is on top of the right-hand controls so pretty easy to get dirt in it (just like the 1100 DCT). The Hawk switch has never been cleaned by me since I got it 7 years ago. The ignition key is up top in front of triple so easy to just switch off so that is my only method. I do shoot some WD40 in all the key slots every few months. It has no kickstand interlock switch on it.

The only time I do use the kill switch is to spin the motor when adjusting the cap & screw valve adjusters. It is handy for that.

#14 ·
My dealer told me to only use the kill switch in an emergency and to use the key to turn the engine off. I use the kickstand to kill the engine when I park it in gear. Now I just have to remember to take the key with me. I am so use to the Sportster auto lock and alarm remote where I just walk away from the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.