Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, motorcycles had a manual kick starter, even some with electric starters had a kick starter backup. From what I've gathered, it seems that the Rebels (both 300 & 500) do not have a kick starter option. So, what happens if your battery dies while you're out somewhere? Is there a way to use one of those compact Li-ion jumper packs to start the bike or are you stuck in calling AAA? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, you're basically saying that whenever you're not using the bike (ie. riding only twice a week for example) to remove the seat and connect a float charger to the battery. It's kind of a pain to have to do that each time. It would be nice if there was an external connector to connect a charger to it (or use a small jumper pack, especially if the battery died after you went somewhere a long way from home). I guess the thing to do is to periodically test the battery to make sure it meets the 90 CCA rating of the battery. I found that most lead-acid batteries (including SLA/AGM type) will test well above their CCA rating so once it gets close to it's actual rating, it's probably time to look for a new one.

·
Registered
789 Posts
OK, you're basically saying that whenever you're not using the bike (ie. riding only twice a week for example) to remove the seat and connect a float charger to the battery. It's kind of a pain to have to do that each time. It would be nice if there was an external connector to connect a charger to it (or use a small jumper pack, especially if the battery died after you went somewhere a long way from home). I guess the thing to do is to periodically test the battery to make sure it meets the 90 CCA rating of the battery. I found that most lead-acid batteries (including SLA/AGM type) will test well above their CCA rating so once it gets close to it's actual rating, it's probably time to look for a new one.
there are quick connectors that you can wire to the battery and leave tucked inside a crevice, like the side cover for example. no need to remove the seat every time. that would be a pain, especially given the bolts you have to remove, instead of a key-removed seat.
when you don't wanna ride, and keep it charged, you just (reveal) the connector end, and plug it in to the tender unit

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Had my bike almost 2 years and I've never charged my battery, I do ride once a week though, minimum. I haven't gotten stranded yet. I feel like I'd be ok with it at this point, shes had a good run. haha, just get a battery tender though if you're worried.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its called push starting.
Key on, in neutral, you on one side run and push the bike forward with clutch pulled in - yep its not easy.
When you gave it your all, jump on and quickly shift into first and quickly let the clutch out.
Repeat if it doesn't start.

The bikes with a kick starter were from the 70s and earlier.
With the better batteries they are not needed any longer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I can't remember my last kick start bike and my mind is a little fuzzy but as I remember it - you can not kick start a bike that has a dead battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry, but that would be the reason TO KICK start it - dead battery.
I had a bike with both kick starter and start button, and if the thing didn't start with the battery I'd just kick it over.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A kick start has the same effect as a push start. Both good for a duff battery.
Gotta tell you that I've searched everywhere and everything I found says NO, you cannot kick start a motorcycle without a battery or with a dead battery. My last bike with a kick starter was a 1980's CM200T in the 80's. You can "bump or push" start but not kick start.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can't remember my last kick start bike and my mind is a little fuzzy but as I remember it - you can not kick start a bike that has a dead battery.

I think you are right. The older magneto style bikes would kick start but I doubt the newer electronic ignition bikes will fire if the the battery is completely dead.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kick starting a 500? No thanks 😅
Modern batteries can last an age without regular maintenance or use. And if all else fails, you can always push start it as described above. Top tip - it's easier if you find a hill to roll down 😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts