• Kill switch

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Mainly the key. It's how you turn it on, and should be how you turn it off.
Ofc, should I want to kill the bike when I'm at an incline then I'll use the kill switch. It's just not safe to try and kill it with the key in such a situation.
That's the only time I use it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I mostly use the kickstand as the bike is parked in gear.
Get off the bike, turn off and remove the key.
It checks the function of the kickstand as well, it should always cut the engine in any gear.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I always use the kickstand.

The key is inconveniently located.

With the clutch on the left hand side and the key on the left hand side this setup is a recipe for disaster.

Kenny G

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
In an emergency would anyone think of the kill switch? I wouldn't because I never use it. Maybe it would be good to use the kill switch as a shut-off every day so you remember in an emergency. I can't imagine an emergency where you would need to use the kill switch but maybe that's exactly the emergency that you need to train for. How many times I have been surprised by the emergency I didn't prepare for when I thought I was prepared for the emergency I expected?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
In an emergency would anyone think of the kill switch? I wouldn't because I never use it. Maybe it would be good to use the kill switch as a shut-off every day so you remember in an emergency. I can't imagine an emergency where you would need to use the kill switch but maybe that's exactly the emergency that you need to train for. How many times I have been surprised by the emergency I didn't prepare for when I thought I was prepared for the emergency I expected?
I got a fair warning that it's a bad habit to make, as that's not how you're suppose to use it.
Now, we have had this discussion before, should you or shouldn't you use the kill switch, why or why not, is it dangerous, will it damage the bike, etc, etc, etc.
I'm not keen to discuss all off that again, but I'll say this: I'll agreed with you, as long as you flip the kill switch on again after killing the bike. Why? In case you're about to leave with the key still in the bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the kickstand to "kill" the engine. Dont like the switch as i dont like to shut down my pc by pressing the on/off button...but i cant imagine how it should damage the engine. When i got the bike i once wanted to ride and it didnt do anything when i turned the key and for a few moments i paniced, then noticed the flipped killswitch...

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I use the kickstand to "kill" the engine. Dont like the switch as i dont like to shut down my pc by pressing the on/off button...but i cant imagine how it should damage the engine. When i got the bike i once wanted to ride and it didnt do anything when i turned the key and for a few moments i paniced, then noticed the flipped killswitch...
You do realize that the kick stand does exactly the same as the kill switch? They are on the same set of wires, the exact same ones. Those wires are also the very same ones that your ignition uses.
So if it's not bad for the engine to turn the key to "off" then I'm pretty sure you ain't gonna mess anything up by using the kill switch either, or the kick stand. All they do is simply cut the power supply.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You do realize that the kick stand does exactly the same as the kill switch? They are on the same set of wires, the exact same ones. Those wires are also the very same ones that your ignition uses.
So if it's not bad for the engine to turn the key to "off" then I'm pretty sure you ain't gonna mess anything up by using the kill switch either, or the kick stand. All they do is simply cut the power supply.
Yes, i understand that. I only said i dont like to kill it by the switch. Moreover, as somebody mentioned, by using the kickstand it tests it and ist very practical. Im not afraid of damaging it by the killswitch, but it seems like some people are. :wink2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Always key for me. Kill switch is for when the bike comes in the house so I don’t start it accidentally.

When I do the kickstand it’s always on accident because people laugh cause they think I killed it cause I don’t know how to clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts