Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of the year and I'm seeing more posts about heated grips so I just thought I'd share my setup that has served me well over multiple bikes. I ride with perforated leather gloves year round so any temps below 60 makes my hands cold real fast. I've tried cold weather gloves before but never cared for the extra bulk they add which tends to also decrease tactile feel. Of course heated gloves are an option too but I've never wanted to mess with having to deal with wiring heat controllers and plugging/unplugging the gloves every time I get off the bike.

What works well for me are a combination of wind guards and heated grips. Using either independently, I can ride in temps in the mid 50s for about half an hour or so before my hands start to get too cold. Combined, I can ride for hours down to about 50 and that time decreases as it gets colder. The grips keep your hands warm (obviously) while the guards reduce the felt windchill to my fingers and back of hands.

The guard are just generic ones sold on ebay. Sure they look a bit silly but function over form when it comes to riding in the cold, right? The grips are Koso Apollos. I originally chose them for the integrated heat controller. The downside to using them on the Rebel is this extra "bulk" on the inboard side of the grips makes it a little harder to activate the turn signals and DCT downshift paddle so I had to rotate them down more than I normally would:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use the cruise control and alternate which hand is down the front of my pants o_O

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
256 Posts
These are the ones I picked: Hand guards. From the web site I thought that they were darker than they are, but function is more important that color. I needed to cut off part of the right bracket to install it.

I was hoping that they would integrate better with my batwing fairing, but at freeway speeds a fair amount of wind comes in on my index fingers and thumbs. They do, however help, and I expect to keep them on until it gets warmer. I might try putting a little more bend in the brackets, to rotate them forward and down, to give my fingertips better coverage.
Plant Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
These are the ones I picked: Hand guards. From the web site I thought that they were darker than they are, but function is more important that color. I needed to cut off part of the right bracket to install it.

I was hoping that they would integrate better with my batwing fairing, but at freeway speeds a fair amount of wind comes in on my index fingers and thumbs. They do, however help, and I expect to keep them on until it gets warmer. I might try putting a little more bend in the brackets, to rotate them forward and down, to give my fingertips better coverage.
View attachment 38826
View attachment 38827
If you are not liking the color they maybe try to match them with duplicolor from Autozone to the fairing color. That would probably work as you don't need to see through them. Shape wise they look pretty good. I agree, tilting them down might block more wind. The batwing is pushing more air to them too.

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
256 Posts
The batwing is pushing more air to them too.
Yes. Around town it's ok, but on an hour ride at speed my index fingers and thumbs got pretty cold (I do have some circulation problems, and cold hands). I did the same loop with insulated gloves and that made a big improvement. My insulated gloves are ok with basic motorcycle stuff, but make it more difficult to use comms, and helmet controls. I might try adding 1" to the inside edge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts