Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike a week ago, and I was looking for some aftermarket parts for future purchase and through a few posts here saw K-Speed mentioned several times. Prices seem reasonable, but I'm unsure how to purchase from them or what the experience is like for a customer in the US to deal with a Thai company. I'm really just looking for information on how to best do business with them and any good/bad feedback anyone has if they have done business with them.

PS. If this post is in the wrong spot I apologize I didn't really know where this post should be put.

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
A fair few members have successfully ordered from them from overseas.
When you call or email them, speak or write very basic English to them.
Confirm twice everything about your order & ask for a tracking number.

I’ve purchased from them many times without problems but as I live here the ordering process is different, I have a Thai bank acc & make the transaction through Line app

I’m sure if you wait, you’ll get some advisory postings good or bad & the ordering method from other members.
Just remember, as these type of accessories are cheaper than in your home country, you get what you pay for.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My biggest issue is that I'm really not seeing anyplace else that has 2017+ Rebel parts, aside from universal parts which imo look like garbage. The main parts I was looking at from K-Speed are the fairing, headlight cowl, and radiator guard.

Being in the US I didn't really understand the instructions on their website for payment, it mentions a bank but I've never paid with anything aside from my credit card or paypal so it was a bit confusing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My biggest issue is that I'm really not seeing anyplace else that has 2017+ Rebel parts, aside from universal parts which imo look like garbage. The main parts I was looking at from K-Speed are the fairing, headlight cowl, and radiator guard.

Being in the US I didn't really understand the instructions on their website for payment, it mentions a bank but I've never paid with anything aside from my credit card or paypal so it was a bit confusing.
I believe Zeedparts.com sells a lot of their stuff and I remember hearing ordering was easier with them somewhere on here. There should also be K-Speed parts on eBay. That's where I bought my headlight cowl from so I can just pay with PayPal.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe Zeedparts.com sells a lot of their stuff and I remember hearing ordering was easier with them somewhere on here. There should also be K-Speed parts on eBay. That's where I bought my headlight cowl from so I can just pay with PayPal.
The issue I see with the parts on Ebay is that they are twice the cost

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
:| Well I feel kinda stupid now...Turns out I did pay twice the price going through Ebay.
Lesson learned
Ah, but most likely on ebay the shipping is included in the price. It ain't included on for example on zeeds or k-speed's sites, it's gets added to the total at the checkout, and then you wound up at the same price as the ebay price anyway...

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
You can work out an estimate of the shipping cost, but you’ll have to guesstimate the weight.
Thailand post, then hit calculate fee, key in destination & weight.
You want to be looking at the EMS World Packet.

Example: 5kg to the USA would be 4000 baht

The parts maybe cheaper than eBay or maybe not, but I have seen some ridiculously high shipping fees on eBay for accessories that are from here. It’s a trick to push the item price up by quoting/using a high shipping cost of which the vendor prob only pays half of what you see on the listing to send.
Some research & comparisons is the key, prior to buying anything online!

?????? ??????????? ????? Thailandpost

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, but most likely on ebay the shipping is included in the price. It ain't included on for example on zeeds or k-speed's sites, it's gets added to the total at the checkout, and then you wound up at the same price as the ebay price anyway...
You may be right, but I'm also well aware that there is a large population of scammers on Ebay so it's sometimes very hard to tell whats legit and whats not, especially when you're new to all this like I am. Generally speaking, I like to buy from reputable retail stores, direct from mfg etc just trying to minimize bad experiences or scams.

The biggest heartbreak for me right now is knowing how huge the Rebel modding arena is worldwide... just not really for the 2017+ models yet. Mostly I'm trying to become informed so I can make smart choices if/when/where I decide to buy.

I appreciate all the feedback, just trying to make sense of how to understand what I'm buying and how to buy from small dealers like K-Speed in countries that aren't the easiest to do transactions with when I'm from the US heh.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You may be right, but I'm also well aware that there is a large population of scammers on Ebay so it's sometimes very hard to tell whats legit and whats not, especially when you're new to all this like I am. Generally speaking, I like to buy from reputable retail stores, direct from mfg etc just trying to minimize bad experiences or scams.

The biggest heartbreak for me right now is knowing how huge the Rebel modding arena is worldwide... just not really for the 2017+ models yet. Mostly I'm trying to become informed so I can make smart choices if/when/where I decide to buy.

I appreciate all the feedback, just trying to make sense of how to understand what I'm buying and how to buy from small dealers like K-Speed in countries that aren't the easiest to do transactions with when I'm from the US heh.
I would trust buying on ebay well before I would trust buying from most other sites. You are much more protected on ebay. Also as said before the price is higher because shipping is included. Most other sites cost as much to ship as the actual item costs.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
That's why you don't settle with the first and best you come across.. You search and dig, compare the price, compare the shipping if there is any, also keep an eye on estimated delivery date. They tend to vary quite a bit. But it's not unusual that a shipment can take as long as 30 days +, so be prepared for that.
Also, on ebay people tend to be good on leaving a notice if something went bad or good. So if multiple people have paid but never received their item, you'll just simply avoid those.
And besides, via ebay you'll get the "money back guaranty" safety, on top of paypal option that many uses. If they don't accept paypal I avoid them, simple as that.

Dude, really? You bought a brand new bike, that has barely been on the marked for a year even, and you expected the market to be flooding with items for it..?? That's... not how it works.
Unless you're able to mend things yourself then you'll simply have to be patient.
For bigger items, such as a tail tidy for example, it may take years before someone actually goes ahead and make a plug and play swap option for the bike. That is if there ever will be one even. There is no guaranty for that. It's all about popularity and demand. Where there is money to be earned there are people willing to receive that money. But only if it's viable and actually profitable.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude, really? You bought a brand new bike, that has barely been on the marked for a year even, and you expected the market to be flooding with items for it..?? That's... not how it works.
I never said anything that would indicate that I expected a flooded market for a newer model of Rebel. But considering that the Rebel has been a heavily modded bike for 30+ years I did have the expectation to find more mods specifically for the 2017+ Rebel than I have thus far. I understand it takes time, but I would have figured that more established aftermarket brands would have been a bit more on the ball when it comes to the new Rebel. I mean if it were me I would tackle some topics that most new model Rebel riders seem to universally agree they want to change, like the rear brake brick to something more pleasing and fitting with the stock styling, or a redesigned dash meter to include more commonly found items like a tachometer and gear indicator, separate right/left turn signals etc.

I figured by now there would have been more companies that would have picked some of the low hanging fruit left by Honda, then as the new model becomes more established tackle the more niche areas of style and function. I'm not unhappy by any means but I did have higher hopes for more established brands to try and get that easy money quickly and give us more pretty things to throw money at.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I never said anything that would indicate that I expected a flooded market for a newer model of Rebel. But considering that the Rebel has been a heavily modded bike for 30+ years I did have the expectation to find more mods specifically for the 2017+ Rebel than I have thus far. I understand it takes time, but I would have figured that more established aftermarket brands would have been a bit more on the ball when it comes to the new Rebel. I mean if it were me I would tackle some topics that most new model Rebel riders seem to universally agree they want to change, like the rear brake brick to something more pleasing and fitting with the stock styling, or a redesigned dash meter to include more commonly found items like a tachometer and gear selector etc.

I figured by now there would have been more companies that would have picked some of the low hanging fruit left by Honda, then as the new model becomes more established tackle the more niche areas of style and function. I'm not unhappy by any means but I did have higher hopes for more established brands to try and get that easy money quickly and give us more pretty things to throw money at.
You kinda are, when you are comparing the 2017+ Rebel with it's old, old, grandpa, the original Rebel. Which btw, has literally nothing to do with the 2017+ Rebel. It's two different bikes that has a lifetime between them. God knows even why Honda felt the need to give a re-birth of the Rebel name with this bike. But anyhow...

I'll say again. Demand and supply. But there can only be a supply if there is cash to be made from it. That's where more established brands have a hard time. That's why the demand must be high and popular.
And tada, you're explaining exactly why we have a "bunch" of parts available from Thailand! They have cheap labor, cheap price on raw material to make things, and thus can make simple and cheap things that people are willing to throw money at, since it's the only source of mods available!

And everything that reacquires electrical components brings a whole new set of challenges for after market suppliers. Because often they can't provide such a product on their own, they would have to cooperate with someone that makes such components, and either A - Mend a product around a stock/alternative and cheap electrical component that they can buy in bulk orders. Or B - Design their own thingy and get them to make a specific electrical component to work with their design/product.
Either way you'd want to do this, it will take a lot of time, and time is money. A lot of money. It has to be a viable source of profit from such a product! And larger brands wont just jump that gun so soon. They will patiently wait and see what the demand actually is.
Nobody could predict how the new Rebel would hit the market. It could have been a total bust for what everyone knew. And it still can be.
The biggest problem would actually be the fact that this bike is branded as a beginners bike. Because where do you think the "heavy" money lies among people? It sure ain't among students that buy this bike to use it for commuting. Or young people in general, getting this as their first bike to star riding a "bigger" motorcycle. Many simply don't have that kind of cash to "throw out the window" on a bike they have just bought.
And the companies that makes after marked products know this. It's quite simple really. If, and only if, there is money to be made, then people will provide.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When buying off eBay I won't buy from anyone w/ low transactions or ratings.
I've been burned a couple times on eBay but their money back guarantee took care of everything.
That, plus using paypal is why it's usually my go-to for international orders.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
I have also wondered if there is some resistance these days to development of decent after-market parts because everyone knows that the cheap parts will soon follow once a market is developed. It costs money to tool up to manufacture parts, if your going to compete with cheap parts in a year or two there might not be enough incentive to develop the decent parts to begin with.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You kinda are, when you are comparing the 2017+ Rebel with it's old, old, grandpa, the original Rebel. Which btw, has literally nothing to do with the 2017+ Rebel. It's two different bikes that has a lifetime between them. God knows even why Honda felt the need to give a re-birth of the Rebel name with this bike. But anyhow...

I'll say again. Demand and supply. But there can only be a supply if there is cash to be made from it. That's where more established brands have a hard time. That's why the demand must be high and popular.
And tada, you're explaining exactly why we have a "bunch" of parts available from Thailand! They have cheap labor, cheap price on raw material to make things, and thus can make simple and cheap things that people are willing to throw money at, since it's the only source of mods available!

And everything that reacquires electrical components brings a whole new set of challenges for after market suppliers. Because often they can't provide such a product on their own, they would have to cooperate with someone that makes such components, and either A - Mend a product around a stock/alternative and cheap electrical component that they can buy in bulk orders. Or B - Design their own thingy and get them to make a specific electrical component to work with their design/product.
Either way you'd want to do this, it will take a lot of time, and time is money. A lot of money. It has to be a viable source of profit from such a product! And larger brands wont just jump that gun so soon. They will patiently wait and see what the demand actually is.
Nobody could predict how the new Rebel would hit the market. It could have been a total bust for what everyone knew. And it still can be.
The biggest problem would actually be the fact that this bike is branded as a beginners bike. Because where do you think the "heavy" money lies among people? It sure ain't among students that buy this bike to use it for commuting. Or young people in general, getting this as their first bike to star riding a "bigger" motorcycle. Many simply don't have that kind of cash to "throw out the window" on a bike they have just bought.
And the companies that makes after marked products know this. It's quite simple really. If, and only if, there is money to be made, then people will provide.
Well rather than argue with you I'll clarify some points:
1. I never said I had any expectation for a ton of mods to be available right now. But modding Rebels has been popular for 30+ years. But to my original point I am simply trying to become educated in what to look for when shopping for mods, especially from countries I generally have never done business with before.
2. I'm well aware of how a market economy works
3. Established aftermarket suppliers can easily and cheaply tackle the 'low hanging fruit' I suggested with very little risk, it's very easy to design a common component and make different mounts to fit different things, or universal mounts etc. So even if it doesn't sell well for a specific model they offer a mount for they just stop making the mount and sell the product anyway. And this is also the reason I stated established brands, because they already have the framework in place to make more plug and play electronic items, just offer a $.05 wiring dongle the same way I mentioned mounts.
4. The Rebel brand along side the fact that there simply aren't that many bikes for beginners, and even less marketed as such, it was a pretty easy deduction to say that it has and will continue to sell well. Being a beginner bike doesn't mean that everyone that buys one is broke, here in America most people that own bikes have generally have a high enough income to afford the extras, but I understand that isn't necessarily true in other countries.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I get your whole point here Techsniffer, by all means. But it's still not as simple as you make it sound like. There are a lot of variables to consider in this department.
But anyhow, let's not dwell upon this, what'll happen will happen in the after market department either way, sooner or later. So one can always hope for the best :smile2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you’re buying from K-speed, make sure it’s through their eBay store and using PayPal or some other form of payment protection. I lost $500 by buying through their personal website, as they accepted the payment, acknowledged the payment was received, then a couple weeks later when I contacted them for an update, they claimed that they never received the money and it must have been stolen somehow. When I pointed out that they gave me a payment receipt, they said that the money never made it to their primary account, indicating that someone stole it internally and that they couldn’t honour the purchase as “they weren’t sure who took the money”. They then proceeded to hang up whenever I called them and stopped responding to emails I sent.

Heavy days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts