Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m new here and wanted to join a community where I can get some advice and find new companionship but besides that. I just bought a Honda rebel 250 and was wondering if I should replace my carburetor entirely or not? Also my bike has problems starting too, when I put it to neutral and go into 1st gear it won’t start I would them have to push start it and was wondering what might cause the problem? And when I bought the bike the Chains are a bit rusty should I replace those as well or leave them be cause it runs fine with them, just curious? Need help

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,597 Posts
Hi and welcome - looks like you've got a 2nd gen Rebel there. The carbs are usually cleanable using an ultrasonic cleaner and an inexpensive carb kit (ebay). The bike has a kill switch on the transmission and kick stand. You need to have the kick stand up and either clutch in or in neutral to start using the starter. If it bogs and quits when you try to take off, that's a dirty carb. The chain could be okay if it is lubed and you don't see o-rings trying to flee from between the links. You can check the stretch of the chain by trying to pull it off the back sprocket below the chain guard to the very rear of the sprocket. If it pulls away from the sprocket more than a little it is needing replacement.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hello I’m new here and wanted to join a community where I can get some advice and find new companionship but besides that. I just bought a Honda rebel 250 and was wondering if I should replace my carburetor entirely or not? Also my bike has problems starting too, when I put it to neutral and go into 1st gear it won’t start I would them have to push start it and was wondering what might cause the problem? And when I bought the bike the Chains are a bit rusty should I replace those as well or leave them be cause it runs fine with them, just curious? Need help
I think there is another REBEL internet sight for the older series Rebels. It might be a better place to seek out information and help on your model Rebel. You are still welcome here as many members have had the older models too. I have not but know others have mentioned them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you're still here - The question is WHY are you wanting to replace the carbs!!!
Hopefully not because of the starting problem!!
If it starts in neutral with clutch out - it's most likely a dirty clutch switch.
And you need to and more info about this statment -"when I put it to neutral and go into 1st gear ..."
WHY are you wanting to start in first IF its already in neutral?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts