Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so punny thread name aside, my bike isn't named yet.

Anyways, yesterday my buddy and I finished installing all new lighting and new grips. Figured I'd post the mod progress so far. I have other projects in mind but these were the top priority ones because I thought the stock lighting on this bike was frankly disgusting (in my opinion, to each their own), and the stock grips were functional, but not pretty. So here's some shots of my Rebel as it sits at home right now.

Projects Done:
(+) Front Torpedo turn signals
(+) Rear Torpedo turn signals
(+) LED Halo headlight (RGB ring currently set to red though it looks a little pink in the images)
(+) Grips
(+) Single small side-bag (for now, second one coming later)

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you like the Kuryakyn ISO Grips?
They're basically the grip I wish came on the bike in the first place. I have small hands, I'm only 5'7" so I'm a small guy and I love them. They're super comfy and the big knobs really help with grip.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
headlight ring looks awesome. i won't ask if that's legal or not (red color-not the ring in general) :nerd:
I was wondering the same thing. So far haven't been pulled over for it. If I do, I will just play the ignorant card and go from there. What's actually cool though is the red isn't very visible when looking into the light. Only from the side is the color really visible. So unless someone can find/quote the law that says we can't use red on this area, I'll leave it for now because it's definitely the best looking color. The headlight has a bluetooth control box which I tucked into the headlight bucket. if I do get pulled over, I just whip out my phone and change it right there. It's full RGB so you can pick whatever color you want.

Everything looks great ! What model taillight are you putting on ? The stock brick is the worst looking imo .
MDH Torpedo tail lights from steadygarage.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. So far haven't been pulled over for it. If I do, I will just play the ignorant card and go from there. What's actually cool though is the red isn't very visible when looking into the light. Only from the side is the color really visible. So unless someone can find/quote the law that says we can't use red on this area, I'll leave it for now because it's definitely the best looking color. The headlight has a bluetooth control box which I tucked into the headlight bucket. if I do get pulled over, I just whip out my phone and change it right there. It's full RGB so you can pick whatever color you want.

MDH Torpedo tail lights from steadygarage.
Where are you located?

Most, if not all, states have laws that you can't have any red lights on the front of your vehicle or any white lights on the rear (excluding reverse lights and license plate lights, of course).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are you located?

Most, if not all, states have laws that you can't have any red lights on the front of your vehicle or any white lights on the rear (excluding reverse lights and license plate lights, of course).
Washington state. I was going to google around later but if you find it before i get to it I'd appreciate the link

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks great!!

They're basically the grip I wish came on the bike in the first place. I have small hands, I'm only 5'7" so I'm a small guy and I love them. They're super comfy and the big knobs really help with grip.

Your rebel looks amazing! Do you happened to have the link to your front and rear Torpedo turn signals? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you adding a rear taillight/brake light also or are the torpedoes functioning as brake lights as well as turn signals ? Was the installation complicated ? Link says to also purchase a relay ? They look great and would like to get these but I've never wired anything like this .Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Are you adding a rear taillight/brake light also or are the torpedoes functioning as brake lights as well as turn signals ? Was the installation complicated ? Link says to also purchase a relay ? They look great and would like to get these but I've never wired anything like this .Thanks
I am not planning to add a center tail light right now. I actually bought one, but returned it once I had the torpedoes on I felt another light would be superfluous and cluttered. The torpedoes function as both brake and turn signal, the outer ring is red for brakes and the center is yellow for turn signals and emergency flashers. The link does say to purchase a relay, which I did. But have yet to install. It adjusts the blink rate. I think the relay is under the gas tank so I have to save that for next time I work on the bike. Installation was a bit more than I bargained for, had to drill out the rear fender rails a tiny bit to get the bolt of the torpedoes through. My buddy helped me drill and wire them so I was mostly hands-off through that part. We ran the wire between the side plate and the fender framing, reconnecting the two near where all the electrical stuff is under the seat. You kind of have to make this part up as you go, the instructions are only a wiring diagram, so do not provide instructions on installation, drilling, or routing the wires. That is all up to you to figure out. The torpedoes requiring drilling do tend to make the fit a little...dicey. My rear ones seemed to have self-threaded themselves into the backing nut from the OEM bolt holes. They were definitely NOT the same thread pattern so those nuts are likely scrap if I ever take those lights off for any reason. They're on there tight but likely cross-threaded to ****. It was a reality I wrote off once we realized the new lights thread was gripping something, we decided we didn't need the provided backing nut they give on the torpedoes.

The front were a different story, the mounting for those was another after-market part which also didn't fit the bolt diameter so we drilled those out too. But the space inside didn't fit the backing nut. So we JB Welded those with a healthy glob around the bolt, later we will sand those down and paint it to black to match. We also JB Welded the rears just to be safe, we don't plan on taking them off, ever. So putty welding them didn't seem like a terrible idea since thread-lock was a moot point if we savagely and intentionally mauled the thread by self-tapping the torpedoes in the rear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No point in starting a new thread I don't think, but I added a new side bag this morning, this time to the right side. A bit bigger than the left bag seen in the original post.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts