Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m looking to get my first jacket and I’m debating between the alpine stars hyper drystar and Leonis jackets. Both seem very comparable but the Leonis is found on Amazon for $60 cheaper (counterfeit?). Also the Leonis offers level 2 elbow and shoulder vs level one on the hyper drystar.

What is everyone’s thoughts on:

1) alpine stars jackets

2) level 1 vs level 2 ce armor

3) these specific jackets, in particular trying to use them for all seasons

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hello all, I’m looking to get my first jacket and I’m debating between the alpine stars hyper drystar and Leonis jackets. Both seem very comparable but the Leonis is found on Amazon for $60 cheaper (counterfeit?). Also the Leonis offers level 2 elbow and shoulder vs level one on the hyper drystar.

What is everyone’s thoughts on:

1) alpine stars jackets

2) level 1 vs level 2 ce armor

3) these specific jackets, in particular trying to use them for all seasons
Do you have any Cycle Gear stores withing driving distance. You can go try things on and look at styles and differences. They have SG branded items and also popular brands too. Well worth you investigation time. I have also bought online Joe Rocket gear and if I didn't like the fit I can take it into the store and I could exchange it or get a full refund. Nice policy. They have events and sales from time to time.

I own 1 mesh jacket for hot weather. I have a Joe Rocket fabric jacket with armor and removeable liner I wear when things get cool. When things get cold (35-50 degrees), I have First Gear heated glove liners and a jacket liner with a wireless heat controller. I have motorcycle jeans with armor. I have leather overpants and leather jacket without armor but have not worn leather in a while since it is very heavy but great protection but no impact armor. I wear boots when I ride.

So what I'm trying to say is all this gear costs quite a bit of money, but I acquired it over a years of riding and will buy even more as they wear out. If you become a rider with years of riding I can guarantee you the first gear you get will not usually be what you will continue to ride with in the years to come. Finding gear that works all year is difficult in my climate as it gets over 100 often and in low 50's or less in winter. Rain, I don't ride in.

Whatever you get, make sure you can return it easily and with little cost if you don't like the fit. Sizing is not uniform between brands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any Cycle Gear stores withing driving distance. You can go try things on and look at styles and differences. They have SG branded items and also popular brands too. Well worth you investigation time. I have also bought online Joe Rocket gear and if I didn't like the fit I can take it into the store and I could exchange it or get a full refund. Nice policy. They have events and sales from time to time
none nearby unfortunately or that would have been my first attempt. Based on what toy said I’ll just plan on getting two jackets, one for cold and one for hot!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS in blue
97 Posts
I have a custom made Kevlar mesh jacket from these guys:

It's hi vis, nerdy, and completely awesome. With my set of zip-over Kevlar mesh pants I look like a Martian highway state trooper.
Sky Water Plant Travel Asphalt

As dorky as it is, my dad was wearing gear from Motoport when he wrecked his BMW sport touring bike. Busted up both his legs in a big slide(footlong pins in one leg, ouch) but his skin was 100% intact.

Cloud Sky Water Vehicle Automotive tire

He rides super-ATGATT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts