Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After over a month of waiting, staring at my pretty brand new Rebel 500 in the garage I'll be riding soon! My MSF class starts Friday and I can't wait! It's been like the night before Christmas for a month!

Sitting and staring at my bike for a month has led me to find some very interesting links and information for mods and riding in general. In my boredom here are all the things I've bought while waiting.

Upcoming purchases:
Future Security purchases
And I'm sure I'll be buying mods soon as well, but I want time to ride the bike and get a feel for what I want to do with it.

And also, because they are pretty effin sweet:
Lightmode

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude! i had never heard of light mode before. I'm kinda curious about them now, would make me feel like I was in TRON
That's what happens when you have a hard core nerd looking for motorcycle mods and gear! And Tron was my EXACT thinking when I saw a promo video of a girl and her helmet lit up and also had it on the bike.. All I could think of was "Yes.... yes.. this too will be mine!"

·
Registered
173 Posts
Monday they said it would be 69 and partly sunny today. It is 50 and raining with 30's to follow. I feel like riding weather is never going to come. I should have moved to Texas while I was there visiting last week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
60 F today - I'm taking advantage of it

:)
The past 3 days here has been 60's through upper 70's, but today is class work, and Sat/Sun riding and the forecast is high 30's Saturday and about 32-38 on Sunday (Test day) after having snowed late Saturday night.

But I agree, feels like riding weather won't just stick around.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The past 3 days here has been 60's through upper 70's, but today is class work, and Sat/Sun riding and the forecast is high 30's Saturday and about 32-38 on Sunday (Test day) after having snowed late Saturday night.

But I agree, feels like riding weather won't just stick around.
Ouch, felt like only Illinois was getting these bizarre highs and lows recently all in the same week.
Remember to dress warm w/ wind blocking material. 8 hours riding outdoors in those temps is no joke.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch, felt like only Illinois was getting these bizarre highs and lows recently all in the same week.
Remember to dress warm w/ wind blocking material. 8 hours riding outdoors in those temps is no joke.
First day riding: 40F and wind chill of 30F, today a nice thin covering of ice and a little snow on the ground with a high of 32F and wind chill of about 20F. So I have about 5-6 hours of really crappy conditions ahead today.

Here is my breakdown of the "Harley Davidson Riding Academy":

Cons:
1. The 45 minute to an hour sales pitch for all things Harley, they drag you around to every department in the dealership telling you how good their prices are and how high quality their gear and bikes are. In truth you can buy better gear for less money without the HD branding on it full stop. This felt like some high pressure timeshare sales pitch. And any time something non-Harley (or dealership) came up they shut it down quick!

2. IMO the Harley Davidson Street 500 is junk. Mainly this revolved around the tank, this thing feels about 4ft wide or enough space to serve dinner to a family for 6. This prevents you from bringing in your knees very far and prevents you from making stable low speed "friction zone" turns. This seems to be a common complaint amongst reviewers with many of the newer Harleys.

3. I'm sure this applies to every trainer bike ever but, The clutch and throttle control is garbage... the clutch is like 99% let out and nothing, then you go that extra 1% and full power. Same with the throttle, have to turn it over a 1/4 turn to get any response. I even had the instructor adjust the clutch, twice, and it only made another 1% difference.

4. New riders, prepare to be sore after the first day riding in your back, shoulders, wrists, and hands. I was a bit surprised at how much manual strength it takes to ride a motorcycle. Its not like lifting weights but after 6 hours of sub 20mph maneuvering and hours of very low speed cornering you really feel it after a while.

Pros:
1. The instructors are both current police motorcycle cops with about 50 years combined experience riding. And the course assistant is an older riding with about 40 years riding experience.

2. The Street 500 is a 500cc engine, so when you do want power to help correct a mistake it is there.

3. The course and documentation and 'habit forming' processes are great for new and old riders alike, it is very comprehensive.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got another Pro for the list:

Pro: Getting a refund on the original $295 price of $196 for a total of only $99 - HD offers a discount for Active/Veteran military service members and First Responders

And in other news, I passed the MSF course and I'll swing by the DMV tomorrow to get my endorsement.

After spending a day in 32F weather with a wind chill of 8F and snow flurries I'm exhausted! But I must say, an older lady was there and honestly I feel like shes going to be a menace on the roads.. she already bought a 2008 Hayabusa. I just don't see her being able to control that bike EVER, I mean she crashed the little trainer bikes like 6 times... just today.. not including the other 4-5 times she dumped it yesterday.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And she passed?!?

Our state run class failed people when it was clear that they were a danger to themselves or others.
The way I looked at it, she'll sort herself out pretty quickly on that Busa. I even warned her at the end after we all passed, told her "Every moment your on your bike you better be scared to death and respectful of its power, it has 3 times the engine, even more weight, and acceleration that will have you going 100+ in just a few seconds.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i don't even want to ride one of those, can't imagine crashing training bikes and then sitting on a 1300 hoping that everything will be Fine

·
Banned
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After the past 2 days in freezing cold rain and snow today is going to be Sunny and 50F, so I'm taking a 'sick day' and going to take the Rebel for its first spin! In all likelihood I'll take it to a parking lot and practice more until I really feel that I know my bike and the controls on it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Something is not right when you can crash your bike 11 times and still pass.
Technically, you can crash a Bunch of times as long as you pass the actual riding test at the end without a problem.
But when I took my course they actually sent a few people home before the actual test and told them they should get more practice under there belt.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Technically, you can crash a Bunch of times as long as you pass the actual riding test at the end without a problem.
But when I took my course they actually sent a few people home before the actual test and told them they should get more practice under there belt.
I should be clear that I never took the class. I would hope that instructors would be able to deermine who should advance in the class.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts