Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Rebel 300 (ABS)
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else has posted this or asked about this, so if they did... I'm sorry. But, I have a current issue.

I live in Ohio and we don't have a ton of used Rebels around. We had purchased a Harley from a local Harley dealership back in May and they just so happened to have a used Rebel come in. So, we grabbed it up... Everything went well, but it's been over 30 days and I still don't have the title memo paper to be able to get my tags... I called the dealership 2 weeks ago and they said that it was just being slow to mail to us, but that it was on its way... So, today, I called yet again because my temp tag expires next week and still no title..

I spoke with a lady in accounting who then told me that there's something going on with the previous owner's loan because there's still a lien on the title, despite the loan being paid off... Thus, they don't have the title still... They said that they've been waiting on her to bring in paperwork or the title from the previous bank it was financed through for her, and they haven't gotten into contact with her yet.

So... I'm really not so sure what's going on here, or if ANYONE else has had a similar thing happen.. I am so terrified that my bike is going to be taken from me, and it won't be my fault.. I called the bank that financed for me and they said that if there is an issue, that yes, they'd cancel the loan and then the dealership has to make things clean and right on my end financially, but I doubt that includes the $120 I just put into it's first service.. We still don't even have the title for the Harley, either, but they said that the memo is there for us to pick up for it, so we're going tomorrow for it... I know where to NOT get a bike from again, especially a used one. The only reason I got a used Rebel was because it's my first bike and I knew I'd be a little rough on it and planned to upgrade. Going to be hard to sell a bike without a title..

·
Registered
968 Posts
never had that issue, but i know our MVA hasn't been open in months so everything like that has just been put off, and no one is getting pulled over for expired tags/stickers etc...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m hoping it all gets resolved, and I’m only concerned because they’re saying that they need the previous owner to get the title from her bank and bring it to them, versus them calling to do it, so it’s sounding like there’s something with the old lien still being against the title.
The tags expiring is the least of my worries, honestly. It’s more of just the title issue altogether.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I’m hoping it all gets resolved, and I’m only concerned because they’re saying that they need the previous owner to get the title from her bank and bring it to them, versus them calling to do it, so it’s sounding like there’s something with the old lien still being against the title.
The tags expiring is the least of my worries, honestly. It’s more of just the title issue altogether.
if it was me, I would just demand my money back including money spent for oil change. Seems like a potential big 🤕

·
Registered
719 Posts
The bank may be dragging their feet but this shouldn't be a problem. Whenever a loan is paid off, the bank/lender needs to release the title but they have their own process. With CV19 things are taking a little longer to get done. You'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Call your state department of consumer affairs - there has to be a law against selling a vehicle when they don't have the title. A little pressure sometimes lights a fire.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
19 Posts
I had the same thing happen a few years ago, also in Ohio... It took what seemed like forever to resolve, but the dealership was able to ultimately get me the title. I completely agree with 01-7700 sometimes it takes a little pressure to get the ball rolling!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to the dealership today and somehow got a fully different story that the previous owner has the title and hasn’t brought it back.. it’s been a month, how have they “not brought it back”... they extended my temp tag 45 days, but geez..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Went to the dealership today and somehow got a fully different story that the previous owner has the title and hasn’t brought it back.. it’s been a month, how have they “not brought it back”... they extended my temp tag 45 days, but geez..
I'm sorry that this is happening to you, but like what kinda shady you know what dealership is this?!

Is this common practice in the US for the dealer to sell a bike they don't technically have a clear title to?! I'm just not understanding how they still have to chase the old owner down for it...why sell it?! And more importantly, how?? I can't imagine that's legal. That is some serious bad publicity if you choose to wage war...just saying.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
How was the dealership able to sell that bike without title? How do we even know there is a title?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So if you don't have title transfer in your name and if it still got the previous owner license plates on the bike and you do any traffic violations, like traffic toll roads, the charges will go to the previous owner. Now that way law works here Texas. When ever I sell or trade in any vehicle I take the license plates off the vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can’t even gets tags for the bike because I don’t have a title memo. I called the bank that financed the bike and they said that yes, it’s legal for places to sell something before they get the title back, but that they’re supposed to have it within 30 days, and not only that but they don’t like how one person says the title is at the previous owners place of finance and another person is saying it’s with the previous owner. If it was at the bank they financed through (Honda financial) then the dealership would’ve gone to them for the title... I’m very very confused.

They just gave me a 45 day extended temp tag and had no other answers for me. They handed us the title to the Harley we got from them back in May, finally, but this particular situation is eating me up with my Rebel. I knew I should just gone to the freaking Honda dealer...

The dealership sells Harleys, new and user, and does deals with the bank that financed every single day, but they’ve dropped some ball on this bike.. I want to know how the previous owner was able to trade this bike in and get a new bike, successfully, without a title. And how the hell Harley sold it to me and got it financed for me without a title. What, off of promises and hopes that the previous owner would bring that title when he lives in Indiana and this is in Ohio..?? I wonder if after so much time they legally get away with this..

·
Registered
258 Posts
So frustrating...can you call off the deal somehow, return the bike, cancel the loan and have the dealership sort all that out!?

·
Registered
968 Posts
So frustrating...can you call off the deal somehow, return the bike, cancel the loan and have the dealership sort all that out!?
I wouldn't go that far especially if she likes the bike and the rate was acceptable. yes it's all a hassle, but @a2shato hang in there. hope you can make the best of this cluster of a situation--and enjoy riding the Rebel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sound like scam on the dealership. Here in Texas if you don't have clear title or finance bank don't have title, you don't own the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I’m being told that as well that even with the loan on it and all that it’s technically not mine or probably even the financed banks. The bank that financed me should be the ones demanding that title and freaking out about it and very well might be after a certain point.

The dealership just called me to, I assume, discuss what’s on sale there and noticed that I came in Friday and then noticed it was for “title”, which I told the lady about it and she asked the finance guy if he’d heard anything and it’s the same story. “They’re still working on it.”

If someone comes and takes the bike, which they’d have to get into my garage first, I’ll be pissed AF.. I love this bike.. Be it the bank or this shady “previous owner”. If they do end up canceling the loan, which the bank said they would if it came down to it, then I guess I’ll look into a new 500 or something, but that’s the less desired route for me since I’d love to learn more with this bike and sell it to sometime when I pay it off (which I had plans of doing within 6-8 months..) and then take that $$ to put towards the new bike..

This is bullshit. I love getting new stories from each person I speak to.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts