Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just got my MC license, and I'm highly considering getting a Rebel 300/500

I noticed that the seating high is considerably short (which is nice for me, because i'm 5'8"). Do you guys the bike is not "as visible enough" to other auto drivers on the road?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It is not a grom or monkey Honda. Which in my opinion is too small. The Rebel motorcycles to me are as visible as 95% of current models sold for street use. Obviously, a smaller displacement bike is built on a smaller frame and is usually visibly smaller when parked by a larger displacement bike. Motorcycle are required to have headlights and usually dual bulb turn signals so that really helps. A 300 pound bike looks pretty small compared to a 900 pound Harley.

It is often said to ride like you are invisible and anticipate someone may not see you. ATGATT is also often stated. I wear All The Gear All The Time. You have a choice how your ride that improves your visibility no matter what kind of bike you own.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yes, so are school buses, semi trucks, trains, telephone poles and buildings

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nothing about the Rebel's dimensions affects conspicuity. It is rather that drivers do not see motorcycles. Anytime. Need to remember that at all appropriate times.
I always ride with the assumption that the car driver is trying to kill me while claiming it was an accident. So far it has worked!

·
Registered
675 Posts
(swerving) Dang, missed him again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
it doesnt matter size and height. I’m 5’7. Own two bikes. One is Rebel 500 the other sports bike much taller. Problem is lots of crazy drivers out there. You have to be ‘ defensive ridding’. You make decision quick and action. Don’t keep yourself to react to their actions. ( trust me , some of them are insane ) Everyday when I was cut off by some d..m driver, I have strong feeling that people have to pass both driving and ridding test to get on road driving .

·
Registered
431 Posts
Its not about you not being seen, which they have studies that drivers brains really do not see bikes, its about you on the bike avoiding all the crazies out there.
If you see something that just makes you uneasy, slow down, or move away, or out run it! Defense will out do the crazies!

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
165 Posts
I don't think so. Like others said, even with the Rebel being a low bike we're still almost eye level with SUV drivers. Plus, for a "cruiser" the Rebel is still pretty quick handling and capable of dodging cars.
That is an option best always be prepared for .. I have had Huge Rides with extra lighting and still claimed didn't see me ..

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello everyone,

I noticed that the seating high is considerably short (which is nice for me, because i'm 5'8"). Do you guys the bike is not "as visible enough" to other auto drivers on the road?
I don't think it is. As a former owner of a 300, I've almost been hit several times, but I'm sure that it was car drivers purposely trying to take my space on the road and willing to run me off it if necessary. Not seeing the bike because it's too short isn't the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

Like so many others have said here, ride like you are sure every car on the road has a goal run you down. Frankly I like riding that way. When I am on the bike all my attention is on riding, it erases everything else . PS, I love the low seat .

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
256 Posts
If you see something that just makes you uneasy, ...., or out run it! Defense will out do the crazies!
Mostly agree with you except for the out run it part, especially for a new rider. Keeping a suspect driver ahead of you is a much better defense, passing that driver is more like offense. Think the Christmas Vacation movie where Chevy Chase tells his family they'll be much safer in front of the pickup guys.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sure keep the crazy in front of you - UNTIL he causes an accident then you have to avoid the pieces, the dirt, what ever he hit that comes flying at you or are lying on the road.
I like to get in front of that.
BUT - IF they are bat sh$t crazy, you'd better just slow way down.
Its not hard to tell how crazy they are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sure keep the crazy in front of you - UNTIL he causes an accident then you have to avoid the pieces, the dirt, what ever he hit that comes flying at you or are lying on the road.
I like to get in front of that.
BUT - IF they are bat sh$t crazy, you'd better just slow way down.
Its not hard to tell how crazy they are.
If you are following that close then you are at risk. In other words put some distance between you and the car in front.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts