Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of the Rebel, the low seat height (I’m a short arse!) and low weight.
If it was at least a 650cc, I’d be buying it now.

My concern is the power, or lack of comparing to what I’m used to. I’m not a beginner, I’ve been riding a good few years and for the last five I’ve had a SV650. An old model, 2002.

I just want something newer in general, and lower and lightweight.

Will I notice a big drop in power from the SV to the rebel?

Will it be a step down for me, as it seems to be marketed as a beginner bike? And does that even matter?

Is it good for long distance? If I wanted to go touring for a week. No more than 300 miles a day probably. I’m not too bothered about top speeds, as I don’t want to lose my licence! But I do like some torque, to pull away quickly.

Any opinions please?

·
Registered
136 Posts
NO one can "tell you" if is will work for you, only YOU getting on one and riding, if you can, will tell you what you want to know.

We are all different and only you holding onto the bike will tell you.
Sure it's light,
sure it can go freeway speeds.

I saw a story on the national news a few years ago about a old guy riding many hundreds of miles on a moped that didnt go faster than 35.
Dont remember how he did it.

SO we all have our own, is it fast enough, feeling. Its up to you to determine if its good enough.
Everyone on here will say, yep its fine for everything, and then you get one and maybe it is, or maybe its not good enough

·
Registered
814 Posts
You will notice a big power drop. The sv650 has 30more horsepower and about double the torque. Its 0-60 time is a lot faster. Its top speed is 20mph faster. And it weighs only 20lbs more than the Rebel.

That being said I am coming from a GSXR600 and I am still very happy with my rebel. It has more than enough speed and power for most people. A big factor may be rider weight though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All I can say is the Rebel hasn't been a 'step down' for me. It's not as fast as most of the bikes I've had but what it lacks in out right speed, it makes up for in other areas. It's so easy to ride, being small, and fast enough to be fun... and even fast enough to loose a license with.

I traded a 660cc MT03 in for the Rebel and still had a Bandit 1200. Subsequently, the Bandit has been sold and the Rebel remains! That should indicate something.

I don't understand this idea that a 500cc bike is for 'beginners'. Way back when Adam was a lad, a 500 was considered a middleweight that most people had/wanted. Litre capacity bikes where just for dreams and 1200cc plus bikes didn't exist.

At the end of the day it'll be your money and only you can make the choice. One thing I've learned over the years is that there are always other bikes tempting me to part with cash. Nevertheless, the Rebel has something that's quite endearing, precisely what I don't know.

Anyway, my guess is that if you're in any doubt, you should perhaps look elsewhere. I suppose your choice should depend upon why you want the bike and what you'll be using it for.

Good luck with whatever you choose... all bikes, whatever their size, are fun! :smile2:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am lucky enough to have an MT07 as well as a Rebel. I alternate my rides. While the MT gives the most fun I have ever had on a bike, the Rebel gives a very enjoyable ride. You have to get past the low revving nature of the engine, but I find it a 'grown up' bike as it feels well engineered. Its handling is to me first class - it does what you want. Mine is vibey over 60mph and that is its only fault - it seems short of a balance shaft ( oh, and I modded the seat). I enjoy the difference between the two bikes. I believe you would find it a very different performance from your SV, but try one to find out, if you can.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Being a shorter rider myself (5'5"), the feeling of not ever worrying about the bike being too big, counts for alot. It enables me to feel confident, always in full control and just have fun with decent power. I never felt the 500 as being underpowered in any situation so far, the longer gearing allows you to stay in gears longer and the powerband is quite flat if you are in the right gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just like the others have said, the best way to know whether if it would be the best bike for you or not is to have a test ride for yourself. I personally think even if you put a 650cc engine into the rebel, it's still not the best bike to ride over 75mph since it's a cruiser bike not a sport bike. For long distance usage, I would say the rebel may not be the best choice as well since a trip over 4 hours ride (assuming it's a non-stop ride) will make you very uncomfortable (been there done that). But yet, I still love my rebel and as long as I'm smiling when I'm riding it, I don't really care if anyone says it's a beginner's bike. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for all your comments. You’re right that I just need to test it out for myself but it’s been really helpful to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I talked my dealer into letting me test ride my Rebel before i bought it. But really i was sold once i sat on the bike. The combo of seat height, weight, cool styling, price, and the Honda name sold me. The test ride sold my wallet :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went and sat on one today, just in the first instance. Seat height is perfect, love that. It didn't feel overly light, I knew it was similar weight to my SV anyway, and I only paddled a foot forward and back to get an idea.
It felt a little basic to me though. It's not like I'm used to a fancy dash with gadgets, not with my old bike! but still...not sure about that.

I'd like to test ride it but they said there was a £5000 excess as they've had a few written off while on test rides!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in exactly the same boat as you! I have a 2002 SV650 and before that I had a Vulcan S. I haven't tested one yet, but I'm hoping the performance isn't too much of a difference.
Let us know how you get one..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really can’t decide! I’m a bit anxious about test riding - I’ve never done that. I’m a capable rider, been riding years but I’m afraid the pressure will make me make a silly mistake. I worry a bit about things like that!

I’ve seen lowering kits for the 2017 SV that take it down four inches. If that’s right, that takes it to 26.9 inches which would be perfect. Still a bit heavier as a downside but it’s a great bike. Not saying the rebel isn’t of course, every review and video say it’s great, so much fun...

Also, I’ve veen reading about the seat. Does anyone know if the Corbin seat that gets mentioned a lot is any thicker and adds to the height?

·
Registered
250 Posts
4" lowering??? That does not sound that safe off the top of my mind. I know some lowering kits claim up to 4" lowering though. I'd hate to hear about an accident that occurred due to problems with a lowering kit.

Lowering kits are usually 1" to 1.5" on a naked bike.

I really can’t decide! I’m a bit anxious about test riding - I’ve never done that. I’m a capable rider, been riding years but I’m afraid the pressure will make me make a silly mistake. I worry a bit about things like that!

I’ve seen lowering kits for the 2017 SV that take it down four inches. If that’s right, that takes it to 26.9 inches which would be perfect. Still a bit heavier as a downside but it’s a great bike. Not saying the rebel isn’t of course, every review and video say it’s great, so much fun...

Also, I’ve veen reading about the seat. Does anyone know if the Corbin seat that gets mentioned a lot is any thicker and adds to the height?

·
Registered
7 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the test ride, any good dealers are usually happy to send you on your way.
It's the style that swings it for me on the Rebel. It's a cheap and reliable base for me to be able to make a modern bobber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, it's been ages, I just got busy and didn't do a test ride until today! I don't want to be hated considering I'm on a Rebel forum (!):grin2:, but it's not for me. I love the height and weight of it, it was so easy to ride in that respect, felt like I could manage it easily, anywhere I stopped I was flat foot with even my knees slightly bent. Brilliant! But the riding position isn't great for me. I was on it about half hour and I could feel it in my lower back. If I sat with my bum to the back of the seat where it is shaped, I was a bit too far back. So I was sat towards the front of the seat and felt like I had too much bike behind me. Although it was easy to manoeuvre, it was different to what I'm used to, no gripping the tank with my knees, it just is what it is I guess, more laid back.
It was definitely nippy, but I did notice a power difference, especially when getting back on my SV afterwards.

I was a bit awkward on it, just because of things like the gear lever (mine are dog leg and I struggled holding it to biting point with my small hands!), my boot didn't fit under the clutch very well...but they're all things that can be adapted anyway. And I guess it's never going to be immediately as comfortable as the bike I've been riding for 5 years...but still. I think if I wanted something for around town and commuting, that would be good for it, but I like long rides and weekends away on it, and I don't think it's right for me for that type of riding.

It still looks great though!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good luck with your riding. Imo, the seat has a lot to answer for. It is designed to look cool without reference to function. Still, most of us make changes to that and all is then well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was a bit awkward on it, just because of things like the gear lever (mine are dog leg and I struggled holding it to biting point with my small hands!), my boot didn't fit under the clutch very well..
Something’s been niggling me all day, and I finally realised I wrote clutch when I meant gear shifter. I do know where the clutch is on a bike. Honestly ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts