Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I think this will be my biggest challenge yet, but I think i can do it with all the info from this forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if a relay blinker is necessary to install these lights? The seller told me it wasn’t necessary on the rebel they used and they replaced both front and back

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
Does anyone know if a relay blinker is necessary to install these lights? The seller told me it wasn’t necessary on the rebel they used and they replaced both front and back
good question - old style blinker relays would have to be replaced when switching from incand to led - Rebel should have a new style relay that doesn't operate on current resistance - let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you guys can post some picture and let us know what you think about it that would be fantastic!

Some questions I have:
- was it easy to install
- whats the quality of build, will it leak and let water in
- light brightness (while braking and turning)
- did you get clear/smoked and do you see the wires sticking out like they show in the pics
- did you need a relay

Thank you!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly i probably did a shitty job, but i had no idea what i was doing, I've never done any splicing or wire work ever so this was a total experiment for me and it was absolutely terrifying haha. First of all the directions included are absolute garbage.....
this is a good video explaining how to take the fender off, you don't have to take off the whole thing just the shiny metal cap to get on the inside of the fender, it took me 6 hours to figure it out starting at 8pm and ending at 2am ha i was dedicated as **** to get it. Blew about 4 fuses figuring it all out so if you're a newbie go and buy all the 7.5 fuses you can before doing this haha. I had everything so nice at first shrink wrapped and all, but i didn't realize the wires within the shrink wrap had to be individually wrapped as well (dumb i know), it worked for about 2 minutes then stopped so i knew i was in the right direction! Then i cut off all the shrink wrap and did a monster electrical tape job ha, a little bummed that i couldn't make it professional looking but ill try it again down the line with my new found knowledge (and i need to let my fingers heal from all the burns haha). If you know electrical crap you'll be able to do this in probably an hour or two i'd say. IT LOOKS SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO IT! JUST TRY!!! At least the directions have a good wiring chart so the colors were all correct, you will have 3-4 extra wires that don't connect to anything (don't forget to wrap the ends of these). Also it doesn't say it anywhere on the directions but i disconnected the battery just to be say. (here's a video showing that if you don't know how, i didn't
) if you have any questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities! and again i know some of the stuff in here sounds dumb as **** but I've never done anything like this so I'm pretty proud of myself, literally patted myself on the back when i finished hahaha. If i can do it anyone can. i could of def tucked the wires more, ill figure that out later, I'm over it for now, now back hurts, oof.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
@flyinbrianbmx

I think it looks good! I've been following your mods and think your ride looks great. I get where you're coming from - I've always worked on my cars, but motorcycles are new to me so I also get nervous when it comes to tinkering with it.

-CG

·
Registered
428 Posts
@flyinbrianbmx

I think it looks good! I've been following your mods and think your ride looks great. I get where you're coming from - I've always worked on my cars, but motorcycles are new to me so I also get nervous when it comes to tinkering with it.

-CG
Thanks man I'm super happy with where it is now i cant believe I've done all the stuff i have by myself with only the help of this form and youtube. i used to say I'm not very technical but maybe i am after all haha! I fell like the only things i need to do now is replace the front indicators, and get my main seat reupholstered with some better foam. (Maybe change the headlight too but i feel like i could hide the wiring as well as i could with the taillight. haha)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly i probably did a shitty job, but i had no idea what i was doing, I've never done any splicing or wire work ever so this was a total experiment for me and it was absolutely terrifying haha. First of all the directions included are absolute garbage.....
this is a good video explaining how to take the fender off, you don't have to take off the whole thing just the shiny metal cap to get on the inside of the fender, it took me 6 hours to figure it out starting at 8pm and ending at 2am ha i was dedicated as **** to get it. Blew about 4 fuses figuring it all out so if you're a newbie go and buy all the 7.5 fuses you can before doing this haha. I had everything so nice at first shrink wrapped and all, but i didn't realize the wires within the shrink wrap had to be individually wrapped as well (dumb i know), it worked for about 2 minutes then stopped so i knew i was in the right direction! Then i cut off all the shrink wrap and did a monster electrical tape job ha, a little bummed that i couldn't make it professional looking but ill try it again down the line with my new found knowledge (and i need to let my fingers heal from all the burns haha). If you know electrical crap you'll be able to do this in probably an hour or two i'd say. IT LOOKS SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO IT! JUST TRY!!! At least the directions have a good wiring chart so the colors were all correct, you will have 3-4 extra wires that don't connect to anything (don't forget to wrap the ends of these). Also it doesn't say it anywhere on the directions but i disconnected the battery just to be say. (here's a video showing that if you don't know how, i didn't
) if you have any questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities! and again i know some of the stuff in here sounds dumb as **** but I've never done anything like this so I'm pretty proud of myself, literally patted myself on the back when i finished hahaha. If i can do it anyone can. i could of def tucked the wires more, ill figure that out later, I'm over it for now, now back hurts, oof.
Good job dude! I’m going to the post office tonight to pick it up. I’m also not saavy in any way, might need to pick up a couple tips from you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I did It! It was my first time doing anything with cutting wires haha. I also used Arches Mechanics video of his to remove the rear fender, so thank you Arches! The instructions that came with the lights were udder crap, other than showing you which wires connect to what, but all that is available on the forum anyways.

My only problem is that all my blinkers now flash extremely quickly, and one time I started my bike my right front blinker wasn’t on.. but once I turned the blinker on it worked right away. Am I missing something? A resister??

Overall I’m very happy with the look! I checked every tail light / brick removal mod and this seems like it was the only one in my skill level (no drilling, remounting etc). Here are my pics, hope you enjoy!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts