Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appears there are a bunch of extra parts with my passenger seat and peg purchase. Anyone installed the pegs yet with the Honda parts? The parts diagrams online dont show these parts or they are hard to figure out where they go.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Well if everything is on and the pegs works as expected, I wouldn't worry about it.
You could for the heck of it just send them a mail about it and ask.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No, and I'm not sure how they go in.
They go in exactly as shown in the diagram. Put a dab of heavy grease on the plate (17) to hold it in the rear face of the mount.
Insert the spring (1) and ball (29) into the peg (13) and while holding the ball in, slide it into position in the mount, then fit the clevis pin (3), washer (25) and split pin (27). Repeat for the other side.

See below.

You also haven't fitted your pillion seat correctly if those are "left overs".

Pillion seat front attachments:

Pillion seat rear attachments:

I would strongly suggest that if you're not sure what you're doing, that you get a bike shop to do the work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was about to do something like that but you did a waaaay better job of explaining it. Nice :smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions and pics. For anyone else doing this - there are 0 instructions in the package and it wasn't obvious to me until I looked at the diagrams (you guys provided here) for a while that the Honda diagram is for the left side. This pic doesn't show the very tiny, easy to lose interference pin in the kit that must be hammered into the main right mount which will positively anchor the swivel mount to the main footpeg mount so it can't move. I used a nail counter sink tool to get it into the swivel joint and then tightening down the nut on the main mount draws the pin into the main mount. After substituting a few times I realized which bolts went where which was also not obvious to me until I looked at it for awhile. But it's all good now.
JiminOz, I didn't come on here to have someone tell me to take it to a dealer. I came here since this was my first time doing this kit and wanted some advice and pics especially since the kit didn't come with any. Your last sentence was patronizing and unnecessary.
Much better would be a comment that I often see on other forums such as "come back here if you run into any problems" or something similar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could for the heck of it just send them a mail about it and ask.
Good idea and I will mention it when they ask for my product review. Really, an extra nickel to include a diagram and short write-up how fricking cheap can they be?

·
Registered
306 Posts
JiminOz, I didn't come on here to have someone tell me to take it to a dealer. I came here since this was my first time doing this kit and wanted some advice and pics especially since the kit didn't come with any. Your last sentence was patronizing and unnecessary......................
I'm sorry you took it that way.
We have people on this forum with all sorts of skill levels and experience ranging from somebody who doesn't know what a hex key is to people who could strip an engine with their eyes shut.

From your first comments I got the impression you were a bit inexperienced so I tried helping by providing the diagram, pics and a guide.

I ended by suggesting that if you weren't sure, get somebody else to do it.

I don't patronise anybody, if you see it that way, so be it.

·
Super Moderator
1,118 Posts
JiminOz, I didn't come on here to have someone tell me to take it to a dealer. I came here since this was my first time doing this kit and wanted some advice and pics especially since the kit didn't come with any. Your last sentence was patronizing and unnecessary.
You won't be making any friends here with that kind of remark.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Installed the passenger seat kit today. Went well, no leftover parts. Needed to print instructions off the Honda site as my Amazon order from Pete's Cycle Company came with none. Only needed one run to the hardware store for a 6 mm allen wrench 3/8" socket so I could use my torque wrench. Drift pin/locking pin initially presented a challenge but once started it seated when the main nut is tightened. Anticipating delivery of Two Brothers Exhaust tomorrow, expect that will be easier to install than the seat kit. After that, take a ride and wake up the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oem

Hey all,

So I've owned my bike for a while now and was thinking about getting the passenger foot peg kit for it. The trouble is, i can't find it anywhere without coming with the seat, which i will not need. The cheapest i think I've seen the kit online is around 110, while the shop here in Topeka is asking 140. I am finding it hard to spend that kind of money on basically the left side mounting arm and some hardware.

Does anybody have any suggestions for this newbie.

-Greg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey all,

So I've owned my bike for a while now and was thinking about getting the passenger foot peg kit for it. The trouble is, i can't find it anywhere without coming with the seat, which i will not need. The cheapest i think I've seen the kit online is around 110, while the shop here in Topeka is asking 140. I am finding it hard to spend that kind of money on basically the left side mounting arm and some hardware.

Does anybody have any suggestions for this newbie.

-Greg

I just purchased the passenger kit myself, and I couldn't find it without the seat either. Ebay has a listing for the pegs and mounts - it includes both mounting arms and is listed at $180. Still way cheaper to just buy the kit with the factory seat. I plan on buying one of the aftermarket passenger seats, and just keeping the factory seat as a spare.

-CG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts