Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago, T-Rex released an updated version of their center stand specifically for 2020 Rebels. Due to design changes on the 2020 model, their previous center stand was only compatible with 2017-2019 models.

The stand arrived within 5 days, and included parts for both the 300 and 500 models (parts and installation are slightly different for each). The printed instructions aren’t super detailed, but they have an installation video that’s much better (although not perfect).

Installing the stand was relatively straight forward for the most part, although I’m new to working on bikes and still learning so it took me a couple days. Someone more experienced could very likely get it done much quicker.

Few things to note about installation:
  • One of the first steps involves removing a long bolt that sits behind the foot pegs and goes through the center of the frame. The installation video shows them easily removing the bolt from the right side of the bike, but the bolt head is actually on the left side and there’s a nut on the right. Not sure how they did it in the video, but I had to first remove the nut from the right side using a breaker bar and then remove the left foot peg bracket, shifter, and sprocket cover (which you have to do later anyways) to remove the bolt.
  • In the video, they take the sprocket cover completely off the bike. What they don’t show, though, is that the side stand cable is actually clipped into the cover so you can’t completely take it off without unclipping the cable. Thankfully, I didn’t find it necessary to remove the cover completely — I just used some tape to hold it out of the way while I installed the stand.
  • The video also doesn’t show that the chain drive guide (a flat, curved, metal bracket-like part) is held in place by the same bolts that hold the sprocket cover. My chain drive guide fell on the floor when I took off the sprocket cover which made me a bit nervous at first, but getting it back on after the stand was installed was no big deal thankfully (just make sure you keep track of which side goes on top / bottom).
  • The spring. Oh man, the spring. Putting that thing on was tough. The video shows them easily hooking one end onto the stand, hooking the other onto the spring extender, and then stretching it by hand to reach the bolt that screws into the extender. I found that to be damn near impossible because of how much tension the spring has. So instead, I hooked the spring onto the extender first and screwed the bolt into it just a tad. I then wrapped a zip tie around the other end, put a wrench in the zip tie for leverage, and used all my strength to pull the spring towards the hooking point on the stand (make sure the stand is fully upright when doing so). Eventually, after MANY attempts, I managed to get the spring on. After that, I easily finished screwing the bolt into the spring extender with a socket wrench.
All in all, I’m happy with the stand and really glad to now have an easy way of getting the bike upright / off the ground. The stand sits very close to the bike when folded up, and is actually behind most other parts sticking out from the sides so it seems like it shouldn’t have much effect on turning / lean angle. It also doesn’t interfere with the side stand which is a big plus. I do wish the paint on the bottom of the feet didn’t come off so easily when using the stand, but it seems like simply a cosmetic issue and I expected as much.

Hopefully this ends up helping someone. Happy to answer any questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did they change on the bottom of the 2020 to force a change in the stand?
I don’t know the exact details, but I believe the 2020 model has some parts located on the bottom of the bike that were located elsewhere on 2017-2019 models, so the previous center stand design doesn’t fit.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
59 Posts
Looks awesome! Off topic but do you have a windscreen on your bike? I can't tell by the photos. If so, what brand is it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 matte blue jeans metallic
10 Posts
A couple weeks ago, T-Rex released an updated version of their center stand specifically for 2020 Rebels. Due to design changes on the 2020 model, their previous center stand was only compatible with 2017-2019 models.

The stand arrived within 5 days, and included parts for both the 300 and 500 models (parts and installation are slightly different for each). The printed instructions aren’t super detailed, but they have an installation video that’s much better (although not perfect).

Installing the stand was relatively straight forward for the most part, although I’m new to working on bikes and still learning so it took me a couple days. Someone more experienced could very likely get it done much quicker.

Few things to note about installation:
  • One of the first steps involves removing a long bolt that sits behind the foot pegs and goes through the center of the frame. The installation video shows them easily removing the bolt from the right side of the bike, but the bolt head is actually on the left side and there’s a nut on the right. Not sure how they did it in the video, but I had to first remove the nut from the right side using a breaker bar and then remove the left foot peg bracket, shifter, and sprocket cover (which you have to do later anyways) to remove the bolt.
  • In the video, they take the sprocket cover completely off the bike. What they don’t show, though, is that the side stand cable is actually clipped into the cover so you can’t completely take it off without unclipping the cable. Thankfully, I didn’t find it necessary to remove the cover completely — I just used some tape to hold it out of the way while I installed the stand.
  • The video also doesn’t show that the chain drive guide (a flat, curved, metal bracket-like part) is held in place by the same bolts that hold the sprocket cover. My chain drive guide fell on the floor when I took off the sprocket cover which made me a bit nervous at first, but getting it back on after the stand was installed was no big deal thankfully (just make sure you keep track of which side goes on top / bottom).
  • The spring. Oh man, the spring. Putting that thing on was tough. The video shows them easily hooking one end onto the stand, hooking the other onto the spring extender, and then stretching it by hand to reach the bolt that screws into the extender. I found that to be damn near impossible because of how much tension the spring has. So instead, I hooked the spring onto the extender first and screwed the bolt into it just a tad. I then wrapped a zip tie around the other end, put a wrench in the zip tie for leverage, and used all my strength to pull the spring towards the hooking point on the stand (make sure the stand is fully upright when doing so). Eventually, after MANY attempts, I managed to get the spring on. After that, I easily finished screwing the bolt into the spring extender with a socket wrench.
All in all, I’m happy with the stand and really glad to now have an easy way of getting the bike upright / off the ground. The stand sits very close to the bike when folded up, and is actually behind most other parts sticking out from the sides so it seems like it shouldn’t have much effect on turning / lean angle. It also doesn’t interfere with the side stand which is a big plus. I do wish the paint on the bottom of the feet didn’t come off so easily when using the stand, but it seems like simply a cosmetic issue and I expected as much.

Hopefully this ends up helping someone. Happy to answer any questions!
Very nice!
You you have the T-Rex reference number please?
Gonna do it too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts