Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate having to carry a door opener, so on my last bike I fitted an IP65 rated momentary pushbutton switch wired to the circuit board from a spare wall mounted opener.

On the Vespa it went on the left accessory cover and easily used when mobile.

The 500 was more problematic. Real estate is scarce and crowded and after looking at all of the likely spots I chose the left side panel.

First step was pop the side panel and use a sheet of clear plastic to identify a suitable space for the switch.

Next step was to use the plastic "template" and mark the inside of the panel and then drill a 12mm hole for the switch.

The rest was fairly simple, just a matter of wiring it all up, putting the circuit board in a plastic bag and stowing it under the seat behind the battery.

Using it is easy, as I get home I just reach down with either hand and hit the button and by the time I've gone up the drive the door is up.

Photos may not load in actual step by step sequence but you get the idea.

Cheers

Jim.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
985 Posts
I hate having to carry a door opener, so on my last bike I fitted an IP65 rated momentary pushbutton switch wired to the circuit board from a spare wall mounted opener.

On the Vespa it went on the left accessory cover and easily used when mobile.

The 500 was more problematic. Real estate is scarce and crowded and after looking at all of the likely spots I chose the left side panel.

First step was pop the side panel and use a sheet of clear plastic to identify a suitable space for the switch.

Next step was to use the plastic "template" and mark the inside of the panel and then drill a 12mm hole for the switch.

The rest was fairly simple, just a matter of wiring it all up, putting the circuit board in a plastic bag and stowing it under the seat behind the battery.

Using it is easy, as I get home I just reach down with either hand and hit the button and by the time I've gone up the drive the door is up.

Photos may not load in actual step by step sequence but you get the idea.

Cheers

Jim.
My driveway gate is remote by key fob, how do I make it automatic like yours?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not automatic, you still have to press the button as you get close.

My solution was to take the button away from the circuit (via wires) and mount a replacement button on the side panel.

You could probably get a replacement gate opener, pair it to the gate, and then wire (solder) the switch contacts to an external button and keep the box under your seat.

I also looked at linking it to my high beam wires and putting the board in the headlight case. But that headlight shell is chockers with wires, no room unless the opener is very small. It would also be a PITA to do a battery change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I usually just stick the remote into my jacket pocket and I have slight paranoia when it comes to easily accessible buttons. But pretty ingenious idea and installation on your part.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just 3M mounted my opener to the under side of the tank area on the right side where the plastic covers are. Can't be seen and easily reached when I get into my driveway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts