Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to start off let me give you guys the best front signal mounting bracket I've found. Compact, works and looks amazing!
EBAY
ALIEXPRESS
You will have to cut a slight hole under or on top to bring the wire out of it and 8mm indicators fit with no additional drilling.

So here are my multiple issues:
Bought THIS indicator to act as my tail, brake and indicator lights. Note: I DO RIDE 2 UP A LOT AND WITH BIG FELLAS SOMETIMES.

1. Fitted them at the furthest back bolt on the fender bracket, had to drill it out to fit the 10mm indicator screw and grind the built-in nut off the inner fender to avoid the nut of the signal screw hitting the tyre. Looked like it gave me JUST enough clearance off the wheel. How wrong I was! once the wire was taken through the end the 4 wires coming out of it added another 3-5mm and it was enough to rub on the wheel with a heavy load on the back pushing the fender all the way down. Honestly the fender and wheel barely have a clearance at all.. So the wires were destroyed right at the exit point of the signal screw. I've seen a few Rebels with signals mounted this way but none of them had a passenger seat so I'm guessing they dont have this issue without the massive load on the back. Anyone have any ideas to get around this issue and mount the signals in this spot?

2. Rode around for a bit without the amber signal lights working (the tail and brake light wires survived) and found 2 amber LEDs staying on on one of the signals! I'm guessing they were shorted out somehow as there was water in the unit ?. Heavy rain this month and the lenses had no seal on them. Dried the signal out and siliconed the edge of the lens to make it watertight and rewired where the wires were destroyed. They lit up normally after this.

3. Made 2 aluminum brackets to hang off the fender bolt to attach the signals to. Added THESE front indicators (YES I DID NOT CHANGE MY RELAY BECAUSE THE INDICATORS WORKED, JUST HAD HYPERBLINK AND I CAN LIVE WITH THAT). Reinstalled the old signals and everything was working that night. The next morning.. the front signals were so dim you couldnt see them unless you put your eye to it. Some mechanics suggested the LED was burnt out but the morning after that they were working! And then the next day they weren't. The next day they worked again and they stayed so for about a week.

4. One of the aluminum brackets snapped and I didn't even realise until i had dragged the signal on my wheel, hanging on for dear life by the wires until I got home. So I had SS brackets made. The brackets I'm mentioning for the rear fender bolt goes on the inside and it looks like THIS. This isn't really what I wanted for my rear signals but I don't seem to have another choice.

5. ALLLLL of the signals stopped working. None of them come on and the little arrows on my dash/speedo/odo either stay off or sometimes they feel like staying on, no response to the indicator switch.

Bit tired of playing with indicators, might just go back to stock until I can convince myself to buy the CustomLED Honda relay ELFR-1-H and something like kurykyn kellerman atto signals. Even then until I know what went wrong it might be a waste of money and time ?

PS I HATE THE BRICK AND THIS WAS THE MAIN REASON I STARTED THIS MISSION. SEND HELP.

I honestly don't know if I can vouch for the quality of the front and rear signals I've mentioned given all my woes but they light up really nice and bright. Especially the front ones they're just as tiny as a coin but much brighter and visible than you'd think especially at $5 for a pair. The rear tail lights look so sexy at night but still visible during the day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: put the stock tail and signal lights back on but no go, the relay must be dead. No more mods till I can get a led relay and new 3 in 1 signals shipped to me.
Next time I’m gonna try stripping the stock tail light down to use the bare metal bracket on it to attach my signals to

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: got the customLED relay and went to install it and found out the stock one was just disconnected from the connector ??‍♂ Oh well I’ve put in the LED one now and I’ll have normal blink rate atleast. The loose connection must’ve been the issue at 3 and 5.
Will update again with pics after I’ve installed both front and rear signals

1 - 6 of 6 Posts