Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for reading this, the title says it all. After messing with my taillight and rear indicators on my Honda Rebel 500 when I go to flip the indicator switch the front indicator light turns off and when I press in to reset, it turns back on. There is no more FLASH or BLINK! I am not sure what I did, but everything was going fine, I wired up the tail light so it would light red, and the indicators so that they would flash, but all of a sudden this is happening! The tail light continues to work however the indicators have gone completely dead when I try to test them. Any help would be greatly appreciated , thank you.

Tail light: Tail light
Indicators: Indicators

· Registered
728 Posts
Ya fixed it, now it's broke! Don't tell the wifey, she'll never let you hold the baby (any baby) ever again.

· Registered
450 Posts
The taillight the link takes me to states it also has signal lights on it.
So how did this all get wired up?
Did you just not want to use the signals on the taillight setup??
To fix it you have to go back to the wiring and make sure you got it correct.
If it is then you'll have to install the old signals again to see where the problem lies.

· Registered
2020 Rebel 500
373 Posts
first check your ground connections.
LEDs are sensitive to proper ground.
Then check the turn signal fuse. All your dinking around may have blown the fuse.
You have 3 wires on the signals. White is your ground.
Try using only the yellow wire for turn signals and don't try to get brake and tail working.
Each side will be wired separately.
See what happens. And let us know.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first check your ground connections.
LEDs are sensitive to proper ground.
Then check the turn signal fuse. All your dinking around may have blown the fuse.
You have 3 wires on the signals. White is your ground.
Try using only the yellow wire for turn signals and don't try to get brake and tail working.
Each side will be wired separately.
See what happens. And let us know.
INITIALLY before I messed everything up, I had the brake lights for all three lights working, the only thing that wasn't working was one side of the indicator. My wiring was perfect and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work because the other side would work along with the brake lights... NOW what I should've done was connect my old indicator (the stock) on the side that wasn't working BUT INSTEAD I switched up the wiring , connecting the signal light (light blue) to ground (green) and the ground (green) to the signal light (light blue) and after that that's when the indicators stopped working.

Soo I came to two conclusions... either I blew a fuse, OR while I was fiddling around with everything it somehow messed up the blinker relay. Now I checked the fuses and they seem fine (visually) however if someone could direct me to the exact fuse that is responsible for the indicators then I could replace that specific one. On the other hand I ordered this for the relay Relay: Custom LED Relay and this won't be here until next week, so I won't know if that's the issue until a week from now.

I am open to ANY experts about this issue/topic, and thanks for the replies everyone :)!
Trying to keep a positive attitude in the midst of all this.

Video
Brake ,running, and license plate lights work...
When indicator switched , the side it's switch on the light turns off until I press the switch in to reset it then the light goes back on.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just saying it's normal and not part of the problem. Are the front LED also?
The front blinkers do not blink. That is not normal, ever since I messed with the rear indicators the front one's do not blink anymore. Please read my previous posts before you reply with any sort of solution. I do appreciate your consideration.

· Registered
417 Posts
The front running lights are on a different circuit than the turn signals so the front light that turns off is normal. The signaling is on different circuit and probably a different fuse, also. Do the rear signals light up and then go out also when you hit the turn signal switch? Sorry, I can't see the video.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
BUT INSTEAD I switched up the wiring , connecting the signal light (light blue) to ground (green) and the ground (green) to the signal light (light blue) and after that that's when the indicators stopped working.

Soo I came to two conclusions... either I blew a fuse, OR while I was fiddling around with everything it somehow messed up the blinker relay. Now I checked the fuses and they seem fine (visually) however if someone could direct me to the exact fuse that is responsible for the indicators then I could replace that specific one.
What did you expect when you connected the light blue turn signal wire to the green ground wire? Connecting a hot wire (when turn signal was turned on) to ground is gonna blow a fuse.

There is a 7.5A clock/turn signal fuse clearly marked in the fuse box.

Reactions: Kenny G

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did you expect when you connected the light blue turn signal wire to the green ground wire? Connecting a hot wire (when turn signal was turned on) to ground is gonna blow a fuse.

There is a 7.5A clock/turn signal fuse clearly marked in the fuse box.
Yes, I wasn't sure . This was my first time doing any electric work. However I learned and luckily there was a spare fuse , everything is up and working again. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts