Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I live in South Texas where distracted driving seems to be the norm. There are a whole lot of folks texting, talking, eating...etc. (All this, while driving over 75 mph).

I ride with a high visibility vest over my jacket, especially at night. For an added layer of protection, I was wondering if anyone has ever installed or can recommend a rechargeable flashing LED helmet light.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I haven't tried them, but I've been looking at some options myself as well. I'm interested to see if anyone else has tried any helmet lights.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi guys,

I live in South Texas where distracted driving seems to be the norm. There are a whole lot of folks texting, talking, eating...etc. (All this, while driving over 75 mph).

I ride with a high visibility vest over my jacket, especially at night. For an added layer of protection, I was wondering if anyone has ever installed or can recommend a rechargeable flashing LED helmet light.
I don't know about Texas road laws but flashing any color lights is illegal in CA. In fact any colors other than White, Yellow, Amber, on the front and Red, Yellow, Amber on the rear are illegal on a moving vehicle.

I've heard stories of joggers getting pulled over for having the wrong colors on.

That being said you are allowed to have STEADY on or DRL on your vest. The reason having them on the helmet is not recommended is because your head constantly moves while riding as you're looking around and to another person on the road it may look like strobing lights. Imagine riding at night and all you see ahead of you are red tail lights and all of a sudden a white light comes on, it's confusing as **** and you will get cited for causing a distraction on top of illegal lighting.

I'm building a light vest, just waiting for parts to arrive.

I've read everything there is to read regarding having additional lights either on the bike or your body. I've spoken to both car and motorcycle cops regarding this matter. But then again this only pertains to CA road laws.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Also one other thing you could do is add more lights on your bike. Although beware that there are laws regulating this as well, but I'm going to add DRL lights to the front forks and changing converting all lights to LEDs.

·
Registered
675 Posts
IMO if you feel more comfortable wearing a flashing light on your helmet - go for it. It may or may not be legal but until you get caught you'll feel safer. I used to see a lot of motorcycles with modulating headlights but I don't see it too much anymore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know about Texas road laws but flashing any color lights is illegal in CA. In fact any colors other than White, Yellow, Amber, on the front and Red, Yellow, Amber on the rear are illegal on a moving vehicle.

I've heard stories of joggers getting pulled over for having the wrong colors on.

That being said you are allowed to have STEADY on or DRL on your vest. The reason having them on the helmet is not recommended is because your head constantly moves while riding as you're looking around and to another person on the road it may look like strobing lights. Imagine riding at night and all you see ahead of you are red tail lights and all of a sudden a white light comes on, it's confusing as **** and you will get cited for causing a distraction on top of illegal lighting.

I've read everything there is to read regarding having additional lights either on the bike or your body. I've spoken to both car and motorcycle cops regarding this matter. But then again this only pertains to CA road laws.

Hope this helps.
I'm almost done just don't know where to best tap into brake light and turn signals

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry if I missed a post, but you're almost done with what?
Vest/ jacket with brake light, running light, turn signals and hazards. Stopped cause I need simple access to those connections. Preferably from rear taillight assembly or wiring near rear fender.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought the connections for the rear taillight assembly is under the seat. You're going to run wires from the tail assembly back up the rear fender and into the vest?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You could get some reflective tape/stickers from amazon or several different websites. There are reflective stickers and designs made for fireman helmets as well that I've been looking at. All different colors to match your helmet but at night they are very bright. Attached is a sample of what I'm talking about (they might have gone a little overboard, or maybe not!)

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I thought the connections for the rear taillight assembly is under the seat. You're going to run wires from the tail assembly back up the rear fender and into the vest?
I bought an 2 LED brake light with signals. One for backpack and another for jacket. I got a wire coming out of jacket and need to connect it so it works. Then I plug in and out of I want to connect. However I haven't decided where to access the wires yet

·
Registered
47 Posts

Hope this helps.
You know, I'm kind of curious if, from a legal standpoint, if you could do a mod to what you wear as it's not part of the vehicle itself. I mean, if I wanted to wear a vest that lights up, would it be illegal because I'm on a bike, or would sitting in my car wearing the same thing be illegal as well?

·
Registered
171 Posts
You know, I'm kind of curious if, from a legal standpoint, if you could do a mod to what you wear as it's not part of the vehicle itself. I mean, if I wanted to wear a vest that lights up, would it be illegal because I'm on a bike, or would sitting in my car wearing the same thing be illegal as well?
Great question. I've spent months researching this, so I'll try to boil this down in as little words as possible.

First of all a little disclaimer to protect my own arse. I am not a legal attorney nor shall anything mentioned here be taken as legal advise. For any specific concerns or questions please see your attorney for your particular vehicle, jurisdiction, and road laws.

You are correct, the mod that we "wear" (i.e. vest, helmet, any part of your body that isn't your bike really) is not FIXED or a part of your vehicle. However, that being said it doesn't mean that you could wrap yourself up like a Christmas tree and go riding on Christmas Eve. Laws are very specific, and if you know it you'll see that there are many gray areas (AKA loopholes).

Lighting mods are one of those gray areas. The gist of having lights on your bike is that the lights that are required on your bike has to be FIXED on the vehicle. What does fixed mean? Do you have to strap your @$$ to the seat? No, it means that the light shall not be a moving entity separate from the vehicle. That is why in my earlier post I said lights on the helmet is a bad idea because you'll be turning your head constantly while riding regardless of the light color or output.

However, while having lights on your vest is technically not considered a part of your bike, as long as you don't move too much it gives the perception that your vest is "fixed" to the vehicle if this makes sense. Another example is adding lights on the rear swingarm. In fact moving your license plate or lights to the rear swingarm is illegal, can you guess why? Because it moves or swings.

So to answer your question, "if I wanted to wear a vest that lights up, would it be illegal because I'm on a bike, or would sitting in my car wearing the same thing be illegal as well?" It depends.
How bright are the lights
What color and how many lights are there
Is it steady or strobing
From what direction can other drivers see it (or get distracted by it?)
Can it visually impair other drivers on the road
Did the cop have his donuts this morning?
See where I'm going with this? There are too many variables.

Here's a scenario: How many TV monitors in those soccer mom vans have you seen while on the road? It lights up, it's got Justin Bieber on, and it's constantly flashing. How can it be legal, I mean c'mon its got JB on such a distraction right? Well the fact is it's not really that bright, it's small (that's why you don't see 50" screens), and most modern vans or SUVs are tinted. NOW, imagine the same screen mounted outside of the vehicle, that's just begging for jail time.

There's also very specific amount of light output, orientation, and number of lighting that you need to abide by as well if you plan on modding lights not just on your vest but on your vehicle as well, but that's another discussion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@Ryan500

I guess some of it depends on state and possibly what you found out on enforcement.

I'm from Mississippi and from what I read of the regulations on vehicle lights, they all specifically say mounted to the vehicle. Our particular regulation actually says that the regulations don't apply to white lights near the rear that have the purpose of illuminating the license plate. It also didn't seem to have any restrictions on number of lights, from what I found so far.

Just seems like the MS laws don't govern anything that isn't mounted to the bike and it doesn't have any specifications about if they appear to be. Of course that doesn't mean they are enforced to the letter of the law either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts