Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rebel 500 ABS on order and am looking into insurance. One of the questions I am being asked is whether the bike is fitted with an immobilizer? I can't find any info on this so am assuming not. Could anybody confirm this for me please?

Thanks

Gill

·
Banned
247 Posts
I have a Rebel 500 ABS on order and am looking into insurance. One of the questions I am being asked is whether the bike is fitted with an immobilizer? I can't find any info on this so am assuming not. Could anybody confirm this for me please?

Thanks

Gill
The bike does not come with an immobilizer on the bike as stock.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Generally they are a part of an alarm system, the immobilizer is what will prevent a motorcycles from starting/running, some will intentionally blow a fuse to prevent the bike from starting even if the alarm is removed.
Cool. Found some on Amazon. Who here has one?

·
Registered
136 Posts
My insurance ran my bike as a Rebel 300 because he couldn't even find the CMX500AJ in his system. So maybe I saved a few bucks? Lol! They didn't ask me about an immobilizer, only asked if it had ABS.

·
Banned
247 Posts
My insurance ran my bike as a Rebel 300 because he couldn't even find the CMX500AJ in his system. So maybe I saved a few bucks? Lol! They didn't ask me about an immobilizer, only asked if it had ABS.
Motorcycle insurance is generally calculated primarily by the amount of CC's the engine has (Rebel 500 has 471cc), where you live, driving history, where you work (usually in that order). If they have you down as a Rebel 300 and you crash your bike, they will only pay out for the right bike. I promise you that you won't win in that situation.

Didn't you give them the VIN number, I thought every insurance company could see the make/model from that alone, but you need to contact them and get your insurance right before you end up needing it or else you'll be screwed. Yes, you'll pay more. But at least then they'll cover costs if anything happens as it's the right bike, continue to pay for the wrong bike and your insurance won't be there for you when you need it most.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep, I gave him VIN number and everything. He put a note on my account that the system didn't let him set the right bike. He even googled it trying to find the match in his system, super nice guy he was laughing "Here I am googling your motorcycle trying to find it in our system." and I could hear him typing over the phone. It could have been too new or something for the system since it was the 2018, he seems to only find the 2017's or something.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Yep, I gave him VIN number and everything. He put a note on my account that the system didn't let him set the right bike. He even googled it trying to find the match in his system, super nice guy he was laughing "Here I am googling your motorcycle trying to find it in our system." and I could hear him typing over the phone. It could have been too new or something for the system since it was the 2018, he seems to only find the 2017's or something.
I would still call them back and get it sorted out, unless your coverage states 100% that your coverage is for a 2018 Honda Rebel 500 you will get screwed if you get into an accident. If they seriously can't find the right bike then it sounds like some scam **** and I'd find a new insurance company.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for your comments.

I live in BC, Canada and have been in touch with various insurance companies for quotes. The latest one I called couldn't find the 2018 Rebel 500 either. No questions on ABS but all have asked about the immobilizer.

I'm picking my Rebel up on Saturday having not ridden for over 20 years..... :grin2: (mid life crisis!!!!) and have been taking lessons to be ready to get back on the road. Concentrating on low speed control skills...... something that wasn't covered when I took my test in the UK.

Wish me luck.

Gill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts