Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening fellow rebel owners! This past week i siphoned my fuel tank of older gas and filled with fresh fuel. After doing so I started the bike and it ran fine, once I try revving it with small blips of the throttle the bike bogs or misfires, then idles fine again. After 2 or 3 times of trying small blips of the throttle the bike actually dies, completely shuts off. Bought a new battery thinking that could be my issue, $150 later it has not solved my issue. Any input would be appreciated thank you!

Forgot to add it is a 2018 Rebel 500, has 100 miles on it, haven't been able to ride much as I have been in and out of the country quite a bit

·
Registered
187 Posts
Maybe try some fuel system cleaner like Sea Foam and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
715 Posts
Do you think water or dirt might have been left behind in the tank after the siphoning and is now getting in the way? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
14 Posts
You should also check your fuel filter. There may be debris that allows only partial fuel flow, so you can idle, but not enough fuel for higher revs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should also check your fuel filter. There may be debris that allows only partial fuel flow, so you can idle, but not enough fuel for higher revs.
Any idea on where that is on the 500s? Want to inspect after work

·
Registered
474 Posts
Any idea on where that is on the 500s? Want to inspect after work
the filter is a replaceable part on the fuel pump inside the fuel tank

with old gas sitting in the tank for a long time it's very possible you have an issue with the filter or the pump could be gummed up and not running up to speed to produce correct pressure and flow rate

you could try running fuel cleaner through the system and see if it comes out of it but don't hold your breath

to check if the filter is restricted or fuel pump is gummed up and not providing proper flow would be to pressure and flow test the pump

must have 50 psi and a minimum flow of 10.8 oz in 10 seconds

if you are not familiar in accomplishing this testing procedure buy a shop manual or take it to your dealer

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can get to the fuel pump once you remove the tank. Here's a forum post with a video on how to remove the tank.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can get to the fuel pump once you remove the tank. Here's a forum post with a video on how to remove the tank.
You would want to test the pump for pressure and flow before going thru the trouble of totally removing the tank and fuel pump. And I wouldn't follow that YouTube video...he doesn't even know what size allen wrench to use and has no clue on how to disconnect the special connector on the fuel line.

Reactions: Odin

·
Registered
14 Posts
You would want to test the pump for pressure and flow before going thru the trouble of totally removing the tank and fuel pump. And I wouldn't follow that YouTube video...he doesn't even know what size allen wrench to use and has no clue on how to disconnect the special connector on the fuel line.
I was OK with the basic getting the tank unbolted before he got to the hoses and clips, but the knife use was cringe-worthy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for late reply guys, ended up siphoning out the new fuel i got since i got the same gas in my car and it started driving weird as well... turns out that fuel from the pump was bad. Added injector cleaner and some more new fuel rode the bike and beat on it and now she rides good as new again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts