Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
IT connects to the ECM plug (which is empty from the factory) under the seat. I have the blue one (pic elsewhere on this forum) and it's great

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a word of warning on the Idea brand indicator, for my 300, the connector under the seat would not fit the connection on the idea, it came with a removable adaptor wich was inserted at the factory for another model, possibly the 500? If it is too small to fit your bike, just take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out, it will then fit the 300.

·
Registered
789 Posts
is this really that useful after you really get to know and have a feel for the bike? not a criticism just curious.
I think it's mostly useful on the highway, or hilly areas, if you're constantly shifting up/down like passing traffic etc. i might get sidetracked and forget if I'm in top gear or not. so it's easy to glance down and see the number, rather than assume i need to shift again only to find out the lever won't move anymore.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've traveled all over the USA on motorcycles for years, I've never needed a gadget to tell me what gear I was in. I still use paper maps too, the battery's never go bad on them.
but doesn't the wind blow the paper all over the place when you read it while riding down the road? that doesn't really happen to my gps :wink2:
also no worries about batteries, it's hard wired.
I like having maps in my truck for that reason, just never ventured so far on a bike that I needed a map.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I think it's mostly useful on the highway, or hilly areas, if you're constantly shifting up/down like passing traffic etc. i might get sidetracked and forget if I'm in top gear or not. so it's easy to glance down and see the number, rather than assume i need to shift again only to find out the lever won't move anymore.
If you ride in Texas in 35 MPH headwinds you cannot hear a damned thing and a Gear Indicator tells you what is happening.
Try riding into Dallas without a GPS or LA with a paper map on the tank.
I agree with you Odin these tools are needed and useful.

Kenny G

·
Registered
161 Posts
Clear map pocket on the tank bag, old school easy. My last good trip was 3600 miles in 7 days. Never be afraid to go past the last lamp post in town!

ALWAYS be afraid to ride past the last lamppost in town because that's where the squatches are waiting :surprise:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts