Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there's a bike shop pretty close to my house that sells Triumph and Moto Guzzi. I test drove 3 different models today. Pretty fun. The Triumphs were killer.

Those bikes are cool, but costly. I'm interested to know, for those of you who bought this as their first bike, like myself, have you considered upgrading yet? I'm happy with my Rebel, though I haven't done any customization yet. Ever feel like wandering out and riding something else? Anyone getting the itch for more power?

·
Registered
199 Posts
My first choice was actually the Guzzi V7III, but here in Israel, there is only one Guzzi dealership and they didn't have a limited model (A1/L2 compatible) available for a test drive (same with the Vulcan S btw). That plus the extra money compared to the Rebel made me go with the Rebel and I'm very happy with my choice.

That being said, when the time comes to upgrade, I'm probably going to go with a Guzzi V7. There's just something impossibly appealing about that bike as far as I'm concerned :)

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
For me, the Yamaha XSR 900 would be High on my list if I were to upgrade or move on from the Rebel.
I love the the classic style blended with a street naked look.

The one thin I noticed though with Yamaha is the lower quality looking plastics & controls, Honda are better on that score.

Not at all practical for me where I live but wishful thinking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Before any one buys the Moto Guzzi check and see if there are parts available.

In the U.S., with the exception of the West Coast, Guzzi has always had a problem with parts. A friend of mine here in Denton, TX bought a new Guzzi earlier this year and it sat at the dealer for several months waiting on a part for the fuel injection system.

Kenny G

·
Registered
51 Posts
2020 CMX Upgrade

I know that sooner or later the CMX will need a trade in
So it’s gonna be the Harley Davidson Low Rider S
It just looks and feels like a CMX on steroids ��

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Ugh, the need (maybe not need, but seriously want) for more power, more speed, have gotten me thinking that the Rebel just ain't gonna cut it in the long run...
As to what to upgrade to I'm not sure, haven't given it that much thought yet.
Before I came across the Rebel this Januar my thoughts was towards a Racing bike instead. But, although that would have been alot of fun in the general, the everyday riding and such would be too much of a hassle for me. A racing bike ain't a pratical bike in any way, and that's just not gonna work for me.
So most likely it would have to be a sort of cruiser like now, but to get one that's actually fast? That's kinda the hard part, since bigger means heavier, and yeah.. Constant struggle that.
But honestly, I probably shouldn't have anything faster, I'll just kill myself faster... And the strange part about it? It's not about the rush, the adrenaline, or anything like that... I just simply hate going slow. I hate it.
Doesn't matter what I drive either. Don't take me for a total maniac on the road here now thou, I'm mostly sane on the road for the most.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
For me, the Yamaha XSR 900 would be High on my list if I were to upgrade or move on from the Rebel.
I love the the classic style blended with a street naked look.

The one thin I noticed though with Yamaha is the lower quality looking plastics & controls, Honda are better on that score.

Not at all practical for me where I live but wishful thinking.
I've been lusting over the XSR 900 as well. Ducati Scrambler (various models), Yamaha FZ09, and others are bikes I've enjoyed looking at. The Rebel will be my ride throughout 2018, though. After that, things could change.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
I've been lusting over the XSR 900 as well. Ducati Scrambler (various models), Yamaha FZ09, and others are bikes I've enjoyed looking at. The Rebel will be my ride throughout 2018, though. After that, things could change.
That is strange, as the other two bikes you mentioned are the both my other choices.:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Ugh, the need (maybe not need, but seriously want) for more power, more speed, have gotten me thinking that the Rebel just ain't gonna cut it in the long run...
As to what to upgrade to I'm not sure, haven't given it that much thought yet.
Before I came across the Rebel this Januar my thoughts was towards a Racing bike instead. But, although that would have been alot of fun in the general, the everyday riding and such would be too much of a hassle for me. A racing bike ain't a pratical bike in any way, and that's just not gonna work for me.
So most likely it would have to be a sort of cruiser like now, but to get one that's actually fast? That's kinda the hard part, since bigger means heavier, and yeah.. Constant struggle that.
But honestly, I probably shouldn't have anything faster, I'll just kill myself faster... And the strange part about it? It's not about the rush, the adrenaline, or anything like that... I just simply hate going slow. I hate it.
Doesn't matter what I drive either. Don't take me for a total maniac on the road here now thou, I'm mostly sane on the road for the most.
If you cannot slow down because you hate it, don’t ever come here and ride any bike.
I’ll give you two weeks at the most before being carted off to the temple for your farewell.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
If you cannot slow down because you hate it, don’t ever come here and ride any bike.
I’ll give you two weeks at the most before being carted off to the temple for your farewell.
Ahaha, omg no, the slowness itself would wound up killing me..! I would not have been able to handle that, no sir, that would drive me nuts before any speed could kill me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to know I'm not alone. One thing I did notice after the test rides though. A sense of 'ah' relief. Like, it just felt right. Maybe because I was riding bikes I can't afford, but there was a comfort on my bike. It felt right. I still have a lot I want to do to it.

Interesting how common the responses are. Many of the bikes mentioned are ones I'd be after as well.

One day perhaps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts