Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on SR555 a few times but not for the last 25 years or so. I did a search for Ohio motorcycling roads and the 555 came up each time.

Motorcycleroads.com rates it 4.5 out 5

In 2020 Car and Driver magazine published a list of the dozen best driving (and riding!) roads in America. First on their list: Ohio State Route 555, also known as the Triple Nickel.

I've ridden a few of the 12 listed:

California SR 190 in Death Valley
N. Carolina's US 129, Tail of the Dragon
Parts of Route 101 in California
Top of the World Highway – Alaska

Before today I would have called B.S.... I remember it being a great motorcycle road, but in OHIO?
Then... IT WAS sometime ago and I was riding with 8 or 10 others all seeing who could scrape their pegs the most. I WAS distracted, focusing on not screwing up.
Today I rode it again, solo this time and it is 62 miles of riding bliss. The road is in good to great condition and today very little traffic. I may have seen 12 cars coming the opposite direction (North) and no vehicles traveling South. I would say it's a “must do” for anyone interested in this sort of thing.

It's not an “easy” road. It's full of very off-camber turns. You'll be carving a 35mph curve only to find it tighten into a 15 mph one. There are rises that you can't see over until you are on top of them. And I was grateful that there wasn't much gravel scrubbed out in the turns.

I left Columbus at 9:AM. Rode to Zanesville and picked up SR555 off of SR60. Went South to the Ohio River and traveled US50 to Athens. After lunch and gas I took SR32 to Jackson. I then picked up US35 to Chillicothe and SR104 home. 287 miles. 6 ½ hrs including lunch and fuel. 71.1mpg.

I think I'll try to ride the Triple Nickel at least once a year.

One last word. Don't Do This on the Weekend!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been on SR555 a few times but not for the last 25 years or so. I did a search for Ohio motorcycling roads and the 555 came up each time.

Motorcycleroads.com rates it 4.5 out 5

In 2020 Car and Driver magazine published a list of the dozen best driving (and riding!) roads in America. First on their list: Ohio State Route 555, also known as the Triple Nickel.

I've ridden a few of the 12 listed:

California SR 190 in Death Valley
N. Carolina's US 129, Tail of the Dragon
Parts of Route 101 in California
Top of the World Highway – Alaska

Before today I would have called B.S.... I remember it being a great motorcycle road, but in OHIO?
Then... IT WAS sometime ago and I was riding with 8 or 10 others all seeing who could scrape their pegs the most. I WAS distracted, focusing on not screwing up.
Today I rode it again, solo this time and it is 62 miles of riding bliss. The road is in good to great condition and today very little traffic. I may have seen 12 cars coming the opposite direction (North) and no vehicles traveling South. I would say it's a “must do” for anyone interested in this sort of thing.

It's not an “easy” road. It's full of very off-camber turns. You'll be carving a 35mph curve only to find it tighten into a 15 mph one. There are rises that you can't see over until you are on top of them. And I was grateful that there wasn't much gravel scrubbed out in the turns.

I left Columbus at 9:AM. Rode to Zanesville and picked up SR555 off of SR60. Went South to the Ohio River and traveled US50 to Athens. After lunch and gas I took SR32 to Jackson. I then picked up US35 to Chillicothe and SR104 home. 287 miles. 6 ½ hrs including lunch and fuel. 71.1mpg.

I think I'll try to ride the Triple Nickel at least once a year.

One last word. Don't Do This on the Weekend!
Where are you from. I am from Cincinnati- interested in riding the triple nickel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts