Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
14 Posts
Up to now I'd been happy with Viking. This would've been my second set of bags I bought from them. Now? I'm not too happy - they are expecting ME to pay return shipping, even though it was THEIR false advertising that prompted me to order them in the first place. It's bad enough I'm losing the $29 initial shipping fee... I just sent them an angry email. We'll see what they say...
Ouch! I hope they can see reason.
The pictures they show of the Rebel 1100 with their bags are clearly not accurate. I looked at the sizes for the Raven Medium and Raven Large saddlebags and neither match the pictures shown.
I was surprised that there was not as much of a difference in size between the medium and large:
Medium: 21.75'' x 6.25" x 11.75'' (1525 Cubic Inches total)
Large: 23.5" x 7" x 12.5" (1952 Cubic Inches total)
Their pictures seem to show a small size bag that doesn't exist on their site.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ouch! I hope they can see reason.
The pictures they show of the Rebel 1100 with their bags are clearly not accurate. I looked at the sizes for the Raven Medium and Raven Large saddlebags and neither match the pictures shown.
I was surprised that there was not as much of a difference in size between the medium and large:
Medium: 21.75'' x 6.25" x 11.75'' (1525 Cubic Inches total)
Large: 23.5" x 7" x 12.5" (1952 Cubic Inches total)
Their pictures seem to show a small size bag that doesn't exist on their site.
I just wish I'd read the posts in this forum from @rws and others before I'd made the purchase - would've saved me time (and money apparently).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Up to now I'd been happy with Viking. This would've been my second set of bags I bought from them. Now? I'm not too happy - they are expecting ME to pay return shipping, even though it was THEIR false advertising that prompted me to order them in the first place. It's bad enough I'm losing the $29 initial shipping fee... I just sent them an angry email. We'll see what they say...
I sent them a message on their Facebook page this morning to see about the possibility of a smaller hard bag for the 1100 which would also look good on the 300/500....

Reactions: dwf229

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a nice little online chat with Viking. After explaining the "issue" and providing pics with the right side bag sitting on the exhaust they finally decided to pay for the bags to be returned. Not sure if they are going to pay me back the $25.99 they charged to ship them to me but at this point I'm calling it a win. Or at least not as much of a loss... lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I heard back from Viking Bags...they said "most of our current bags do not fit the Rebel 1100 very good and we are looking to come up with a solution". I will be anxiously waiting to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would try disputing the charge on your credit card and state your case. Pretty sure that would work in your favor.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I heard back from Viking Bags...they said "most of our current bags do not fit the Rebel 1100 very good and we are looking to come up with a solution". I will be anxiously waiting to see what they come up with.
More info: They have now removed bags listed for the Rebel 1100 from their site until they come up with a solution.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
14 Posts
More info: They have now removed bags listed for the Rebel 1100 from their site until they come up with a solution.
The bags that were removed for the Rebel 1100 are shown as available for the Rebel 500. If they don't fit the 1100, they won't fit the 500 or 300. :(

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
15 Posts
I had the Shad 23L bags on my Kawasaki Vulcan S which is similar in style and size to the Rebels. I felt the bags looked proportional to the bike, but I agree that the 36L bags would look too large. The quick release works great and is very handy to remove the left bag for chain maintenance, for example. Also, a key is not required to open and close the bags if one choses (vs the Givi which requires the key). So, I think you will enjoy the Shad bags.
I received the Shad bags and I do very much like them, but when I started to install them I discovered that their 3P mounting system requires that you have the rear seat package installed - specifically the foot peg support on the left side of the bike. I don't have a rear seat nor do I want one and Honda does not sell that support except as part of the rear seat package (which is like $140). Shad does not mention this on their site, while they do specifically state that all required hardware is included. When I contacted Shad they initially took the position that the information about the requirements (left side foot peg) is on the product page and I should have known (it is NOT on the product page). We're still going back and forth. I thought it might be something they weren't aware of, but I saw a note on a forum where someone had the same issue in 2019. I'll give an update when a resolution is reached.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I received the Shad bags and I do very much like them, but when I started to install them I discovered that their 3P mounting system requires that you have the rear seat package installed - specifically the foot peg support on the left side of the bike. I don't have a rear seat nor do I want one and Honda does not sell that support except as part of the rear seat package (which is like $140). Shad does not mention this on their site, while they do specifically state that all required hardware is included. When I contacted Shad they initially took the position that the information about the requirements (left side foot peg) is on the product page and I should have known (it is NOT on the product page). We're still going back and forth. I thought it might be something they weren't aware of, but I saw a note on a forum where someone had the same issue in 2019. I'll give an update when a resolution is reached.
check this link for a left side foot peg support.... $69
Black Rear Foot Pegs Footrests Passenger For Honda Rebel CMX 300 500 2017-2018 | eBay

Shad does state foot peg support is required

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
15 Posts
check this link for a left side foot peg support.... $69
Black Rear Foot Pegs Footrests Passenger For Honda Rebel CMX 300 500 2017-2018 | eBay

Shad does state foot peg support is required
I appreciate the eBay link. However, just so you know, Shad has apparently added that note about about passenger footpeg since I started talking to them. I thought they might do that, so I saved a copy of the page a few days ago. Take a look at the snippet below - no note about the footpeg. And I promise I didn't doctor this - I can provide the copy of the page I saved. Also, I bought from this page (Honda CMX Rebel 500 SH23 Side Cases Package). They still haven't added the footpeg note to that page yet - be interesting to see if they do (I've saved a copy of it as well).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
if that's true sounds like they're trying to avoid refunding your money, or sending you the added footpeg hardware (which i'm guessing they won't do)
good luck. I do like the simplicity of their design compared to what i have. might switch eventually (i already have the rear seat and pegs installed)

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
15 Posts
if that's true sounds like they're trying to avoid refunding your money, or sending you the added footpeg hardware (which i'm guessing they won't do)
good luck. I do like the simplicity of their design compared to what i have. might switch eventually (i already have the rear seat and pegs installed)
They've said they'll give me an RMA - just no refund for shipping and I pay the return shipping. On the "package" product page it specifically states that all necessary mounting hardware is included. I kinda feel like they should have already had the footpeg note they added so that I could have made an informed decision. I'd like to believe it was an "honest" oversight. We'll see. I agree with you - their design is the "cleanest" I've seen.

On a different note, I see you have a 2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan. How do you like it? What kinds of rides do you use it for? I assume you've seen Itchy Boots on YouTube and her travels on a Himalayan. I find the Himalayan very appealing and it might well be my second bike, but I've been told I can only have one bike (at least until we have a bigger garage).

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
They've said they'll give me an RMA - just no refund for shipping and I pay the return shipping. On the "package" product page it specifically states that all necessary mounting hardware is included. I kinda feel like they should have already had the footpeg note they added so that I could have made an informed decision. I'd like to believe it was an "honest" oversight. We'll see. I agree with you - their design is the "cleanest" I've seen.

On a different note, I see you have a 2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan. How do you like it? What kinds of rides do you use it for? I assume you've seen Itchy Boots on YouTube and her travels on a Himalayan. I find the Himalayan very appealing and it might well be my second bike, but I've been told I can only have one bike (at least until we have a bigger garage).
easily could be oversight on their part. they seem to be a reputable company from what i've seen and not some fly-by-night operation.
I've only had the Himalayan for a month, but it's awesome. Just put on panniers this weekend, have to upload a pic to my previous thread soon. yes i've seen itchy boots as well as karmakaze moto and some others. honestly where i live i don't have the opportunity to really use it offroad but thats fine with me that wasn't my first instinct. However in the near future i plan on moving back to the desert so could easily do some riding in the dirt once i get back there :)
just bought it because i loved the looks, and i like having something that I don't see everywhere (hence my prev KTM)

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
15 Posts
easily could be oversight on their part. they seem to be a reputable company from what i've seen and not some fly-by-night operation.
I've only had the Himalayan for a month, but it's awesome. Just put on panniers this weekend, have to upload a pic to my previous thread soon. yes i've seen itchy boots as well as karmakaze moto and some others. honestly where i live i don't have the opportunity to really use it offroad but thats fine with me that wasn't my first instinct. However in the near future i plan on moving back to the desert so could easily do some riding in the dirt once i get back there :)
just bought it because i loved the looks, and i like having something that I don't see everywhere (hence my prev KTM)
I too hope it's an oversight, they do make some good stuff. As I said, I too really like the look of the Himalayan and it's certainly not something you see on the road every day. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it off-road soon.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
15 Posts
I too hope it's an oversight, they do make some good stuff. As I said, I too really like the look of the Himalayan and it's certainly not something you see on the road every day. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it off-road soon.
Just wanted to give you an update. Shad has updated their website to reflect the need for the rear footpegs (which wasn't there previously). I believe Shad is produced in Spain and, in Europe, the rears seat is standard on Rebels - so it appears to have been an honest oversight. They issued a partial refund to offset the cost of the rear peg stuff and, as I said, they've updated their website to reflect the need for the rear footpegs. I felt they were fair about it and I am well-satisfied with their customer service.

When I get the rear footpeg support, I'll install the bags and post pictures.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts