Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Late last night I emailed Viking to put my order on hold until I could talk to them in the morning as I was concerned about the dimensions listed didn't appear to match the pictured bag on the Rebel 1100. After talking to customer service about it this morning I canceled my order.

I went ahead and ordered the hard bags in the link below (which are in stock) from Viking Bags. I have the ballistic nylon bags and mounts from Honda on order too. I'll try them both out and sell off cheap the ones I like least.

VikingBags Lamellar Raven Medium Lockable Shock cutout Painted Motorcycle Hard Saddlebags For Honda Rebel 1100 CMX1100

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed the mount plates on the Honda ballistic nylon bags (below) should be able to be taken off and put on the Viking hard bags and hook right up to the brackets I have coming from Honda for the 1100. Won't have to use the Viking mount kit and with the Honda setup the Viking hard bags will be quickly removable. Since the Honda plates and brackets are not lockable I figured out a way I can make the bags non-removeable with a pin that will block the release lever and can only be removed from inside the Viking bags which are lockable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like that idea. Just checked out the Viking more, didn't realize you have to drill through your fender...that's out for me!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like that idea. Just checked out the Viking more, didn't realize you have to drill through your fender...that's out for me!
Please point me to where you found that you had to drill a hole through the fender. I read the the installation text and watched the installation video and did not find any mention of drilling the fender. The universal mount that Viking provides attaches to the 2 factory bolt holes already on the side of the fender/side rail....see picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just noticed the mount plates on the Honda ballistic nylon bags (below) should be able to be taken off and put on the Viking hard bags and hook right up to the brackets I have coming from Honda for the 1100. Won't have to use the Viking mount kit and with the Honda setup the Viking hard bags will be quickly removable. Since the Honda plates and brackets are not lockable I figured out a way I can make the bags non-removeable with a pin that will block the release lever and can only be removed from inside the Viking bags which are lockable.

That would be an excellent solution! My concern with fixed bags, like the Viking bags, is whether or not they hinder access to the chain guard and lubrication. I had to drill holes in my Givi bags for my CTX700, but they are high enough to clear the chain area. The annoying thing with those is that you must use the key to open and close! The Shad bags on my Vulcan S (which I traded for the Rebel) were a snap to remove and didn't require a key like the Givi if you want to leave unlocked.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any idea when the supports are coming? This sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts

A possible issue - the backs of the Viking bags are not 100% flat given the recesses to accommodate the shocks. So, would the Honda plates be able to fit correctly? Keep us posted once you get the Honda brackets. Hopefully that will be some time in 2021. LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
Please point me to where you found that you had to drill a hole through the fender. I read the the installation text and watched the installation video and did not find any mention of drilling the fender. The universal mount that Viking provides attaches to the 2 factory bolt holes already on the side of the fender/side rail....see picture.
Point well taken.... Maybe I shouldn't have beers going through the Viking instructions. I just skimmed through the stuff and they have a part about making sure everything is lined up I thought mentioning the holes you made and that you need a drill to complete the install. Either way, you're probably right...and you could use the pre-existing holes no matter what!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Late last night I emailed Viking to put my order on hold until I could talk to them in the morning as I was concerned about the dimensions listed didn't appear to match the pictured bag on the Rebel 1100. After talking to customer service about it this morning I canceled my order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Late last night I emailed Viking to put my order on hold until I could talk to them in the morning as I was concerned about the dimensions listed didn't appear to match the pictured bag on the Rebel 1100. After talking to customer service about it this morning I canceled my order.
The dimensions online sure make it seem like they are way too big. is that what you determined also?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dimensions online sure make it seem like they are way too big. is that what you determined also?
Yes. If they come up with a hard bag sized like it shows on the Rebel 1100 picture on their website I would reorder.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
15 Posts
Yes. If they come up with a hard bag sized like it shows on the Rebel 1100 picture on their website I would reorder.
I ordered side bags from Shad for my Rebel 500. I suspect they will fit a Rebel 300 as well, but I'd certainly call them about the 1100. They have some variations on this in terms of reflectors, etc. These are 23 liters each, but I believe they also have a 36 liter version but thought that would be too big for the Rebel. Both sizes use the same mounting system (3P) and they are locking and quick release (they have videos demonstrating that). They also told me that no drilling was necessary. Haven't received them yet, but will try to post some info and pictures when I get them installed.

Just thought I'd mention it in case they have an 1100 option and the Viking doesn't work out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I ordered side bags from Shad for my Rebel 500. I suspect they will fit a Rebel 300 as well, but I'd certainly call them about the 1100. They have some variations on this in terms of reflectors, etc. These are 23 liters each, but I believe they also have a 36 liter version but thought that would be too big for the Rebel. Both sizes use the same mounting system (3P) and they are locking and quick release (they have videos demonstrating that). They also told me that no drilling was necessary. Haven't received them yet, but will try to post some info and pictures when I get them installed.

Just thought I'd mention it in case they have an 1100 option and the Viking doesn't work out.

I had looked at the Shad and Givi hard bags too but are too large for my liking. What caught my eye about the Viking hard bag was the size of them depicted on their website mounted on the Rebel 1100...but found out the actual dimensions were even larger than the Shad's and Givi's...graphics department evidently had a wrong picture of the bags...so I cancelled the order. I'd buy the Viking bags in a heartbeat if they were the size as in the picture. For the time being I will mount the Honda factory ballistic nylon bags...I ordered two of the right side smaller bags 10 liter size to mount on both sides vs having the 14 liter bag they list for the left side. Having two different sized bags just doesn't look right to me. The bags are in but I'm still waiting on the 1100 mounting brackets.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I emailed customer no-service at Shad asking if there any development plans for the 3P mounting system to fit the Rebel 1100. I was told 'not aware of any plans and would post on the web if that becomes available'. That brief vague answer suggests to me she probably never even checked with Shad's development team.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I had the Shad 23L bags on my Kawasaki Vulcan S which is similar in style and size to the Rebels. I felt the bags looked proportional to the bike, but I agree that the 36L bags would look too large. The quick release works great and is very handy to remove the left bag for chain maintenance, for example. Also, a key is not required to open and close the bags if one choses (vs the Givi which requires the key). So, I think you will enjoy the Shad bags.

·
Registered
38 Posts
EDIT: Late last night I emailed Viking to put my order on hold until I could talk to them in the morning as I was concerned about the dimensions listed didn't appear to match the pictured bag on the Rebel 1100. After talking to customer service about it this morning I canceled my order.

I went ahead and ordered the hard bags in the link below (which are in stock) from Viking Bags. I have the ballistic nylon bags and mounts from Honda on order too. I'll try them both out and sell off cheap the ones I like least.

VikingBags Lamellar Raven Medium Lockable Shock cutout Painted Motorcycle Hard Saddlebags For Honda Rebel 1100 CMX1100
I ordered the VikingBags Lamellar Raven Medium Shock cutout Honda Rebel 1100 CMX1100 Leather Wrapped Motorcycle Hard Saddlebags.
Delivered today... They do not fit the 1100... Too big
Bummer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the VikingBags Lamellar Raven Medium Shock cutout Honda Rebel 1100 CMX1100 Leather Wrapped Motorcycle Hard Saddlebags.
Bummer
Thanks for the info, I’ll be cancelling my order as I had ordered the same as you. I did see someone in the forum mount Viking bags that were 11.5” high. I may switch my order to this VikingBags Battlecry Medium Shock Cutout Honda Rebel 1100 CMX1100 Leather Motorcycle Saddlebags

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bummer
I'm glad I got my order cancelled before they got them shipped out to me. The bags you ordered are the same dimensions as the ones I ordered. The picture they have of either bag mounted on the 1100 shows a much smaller sized bag and that was what got me to order....nice and sleek looking. But when I looked at the dimensions they had listed I went out and measured on my bike and there is no way I wanted them...so quickly cancelled the order.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm glad I got my order cancelled before they got them shipped out to me. The bags you ordered are the same dimensions as the ones I ordered. The picture they have of either bag mounted on the 1100 shows a much smaller sized bag and that was what got me to order....nice and sleek looking. But when I looked at the dimensions they had listed I went out and measured on my bike and there is no way I wanted them...so quickly cancelled the order.
Up to now I'd been happy with Viking. This would've been my second set of bags I bought from them. Now? I'm not too happy - they are expecting ME to pay return shipping, even though it was THEIR false advertising that prompted me to order them in the first place. It's bad enough I'm losing the $29 initial shipping fee... I just sent them an angry email. We'll see what they say...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts