Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sat on a Rebel 1100 at my dealers this weekend. It is a pretty nice bike. The bike was sold so I couldn't take it for a ride. I have heard good things about the DCT. I'd be more likely to buy an 1100 if:

1) It came with a tall rider option; either a thicker seat or a raised seat, and a forward control set.
2) Had a 4 gallon gas tank (in yellow).

What kind of things would you like to see?

·
Registered
119 Posts
A bigger tank would definitely be nice. On the other hand, I’m ready for a butt break after two hours at best no matter what I’m riding. Forward controls would be nice, but I’m ok with the mid-mount setup.

So I’d buy one if … oh wait, I already bought one. 😁 Right now I can’t think of a whole lot I need or even want to change, other than the accessories I’ve already ordered getting here.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 300 ABS
19 Posts
I'm the horrible wife that says, "If you want it, go buy it!"

That being said, if it fits you and you feel like it's the best thing for you, go for it. Otherwise, take the time to check out multiple bikes and find what is right. Do homework on specs. You can always change seats and paint, but not the tank size or foot position.

There is a perfect bike for everyone, you just have to find it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That being said, if it fits you and you feel like it's the best thing for you, go for it. Otherwise, take the time to check out multiple bikes and find what is right.
TinyRider thanks for the reply. Good advice above. The biggest problem with my 2017 Rebel is fit. You can change the foot position around but you need a kit. I used a forward control set and moved the pedals forward about 6 inches. A much improved seating position for me. Going to start to reupholster the seat to raise the seating position this weekend. For my next bike I'll pay much better attention to ergonomics. Oh, you can also move the pedals back with a rear control set but those usually used on sport bikes to get the rider in a more aerodynamic position.

·
Registered
348 Posts
A bigger tank would definitely be nice. On the other hand, I’m ready for a butt break after two hours at best no matter what I’m riding. Forward controls would be nice, but I’m ok with the mid-mount setup.

So I’d buy one if … oh wait, I already bought one. 😁 Right now I can’t think of a whole lot I need or even want to change, other than the accessories I’ve already ordered getting here.
I want a bigger tank on my 500. I want to take a break where I want to and not necessarily at a gas station. I've gone 2 1/2 hours on my 500 with no ill effects other than the disdain for the gas stop late in the ride.lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lee ...

First, are you really going to quibble about 0.4 gallons, which on the Rebel 1100 would give you about 18 or 19 miles more range?

I'm pretty sure forward controls will be coming in the after market, after the bike is out there. Practically speaking it's barely if even 2 months old in the US and Canadian market with very limited availability. In the meantime you can certainly find an auto upholsterer who will raise that stock seat an inch or an inch and a half.

I rode the DCT under unrelenting pressure from the dealer ("You can't know you won't like it unless you try it!")

Not for me. I like to do my ownshifting on a curve. If I lived in or commuted to or through a city with heavy traffic, the DCT would make some sense.

And, BTW, I just love shifting my new 1100. It has the most positive shift clicking and smoothest clutch I've ever riden.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I sat on a Rebel 1100 at my dealers this weekend. It is a pretty nice bike. The bike was sold so I couldn't take it for a ride. I have heard good things about the DCT. I'd be more likely to buy an 1100 if:

1) It came with a tall rider option; either a thicker seat or a raised seat, and a forward control set.
2) Had a 4 gallon gas tank (in yellow).

What kind of things would you like to see?
on a side note-i'm surprised they even let you sit on it if it's sold. most dealers i've been to have signs up or vehicles 'roped off' once sold, so theres no chance any damage or drops could occur-say from first time riders who aren't prepared for the weight shift

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm surprised they even let you sit on it if it's sold
I asked first and I was surprised too when he said okay. The salesman said they'd have a great year if they could get more stock.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT and 2012 Yamaha FZ8
12 Posts
I'd like to know why they did a 7/8 step down in the control section of the bars, when it seems like the 500 has 1 inch? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been looking for bars and that's what I've concluded.

I fit decent on the bike, but I can't wait until someone makes forward controls. Corbin's new seat apparently sits higher and farther back than stock, and I've got some risers on the way. Thinking about making some foot peg lowering blocks, too.

I guess the only thing left, is a bigger gas tank. Oh, and an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't "turn up", and sits a little lower than stock for bigger saddlebags.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
450 Posts
I asked first and I was surprised too when he said okay. The salesman said they'd have a great year if they could get more stock.
If I found out that a salesperson let someone sit on MY bike just to try and bait someone, my inner Karen is coming out that day for sure....

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd like to know why they did a 7/8 step down in the control section of the bars, when it seems like the 500 has 1 inch? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been looking for bars and that's what I've concluded.

I fit decent on the bike, but I can't wait until someone makes forward controls. Corbin's new seat apparently sits higher and farther back than stock, and I've got some risers on the way. Thinking about making some foot peg lowering blocks, too.

I guess the only thing left, is a bigger gas tank. Oh, and an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't "turn up", and sits a little lower than stock for bigger saddlebags.
Probably so they can use the same controls, switches and housings from the Africa Twin, which for some reason has a similar setup, except I think the AF bar starts at 1 1/8” and tapers down to 7/8” at the grips. They did the same thing with the CTX1300, which used the drive train from the ST1300, I’m guessing so they could reuse the ST’s controls as well. Saving costs wherever and however possible, I’d guess - cheaper to make tapered bars than to re-engineer switches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Corbin's new seat apparently sits higher and farther back than stock, and I've got some risers on the way.
You've pretty much nailed my 'wish list,' but I'm wondering how a Corbin seat sitting further back would fit with the second OEM seat I've ordered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately it appears the Corbin saddle requires the bolt from the rear fender ... no more easy access to the storage bin or helmet hooks.

And, yes, it is apparently incompatible with the OEM rear seat. Makes me wonder if the OEM rear seat also interferes with access to the storage bin?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT and 2012 Yamaha FZ8
12 Posts
You've pretty much nailed my 'wish list,' but I'm wondering how a Corbin seat sitting further back would fit with the second OEM seat I've ordered.
Both corbin seats that are available use the rear bolt normally used to mount the passenger seat, you'd have to see it. It takes up the space of both the rider and passenger seat.

Unfortunately it appears the Corbin saddle requires the bolt from the rear fender ... no more easy access to the storage bin or helmet hooks.

And, yes, it is apparently incompatible with the OEM rear seat. Makes me wonder if the OEM rear seat also interferes with access to the storage bin?
I thought about that too, I'll probably end up keeping emergency repair stuff as a last resort in there, and keep a tool roll on the front forks or in the saddlebags I'm planning on mounting and keep an allen wrench to take the seat off. On the plus side though, it looks really comfy for the passenger if you get the "gunfighter and lady". My plan is to put a roll bag behind the gun & lady seat.

As for the oem passenger seat interfering with the storage under the seat, from what I found looking at the bike, it looks like it should bolt in two spots, one under the seat bar, and one in the rear of the fender. Still easy access, not in the way of the rider seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the plus side though, it looks really comfy for the passenger if you get the "gunfighter and lady". My plan is to put a roll bag behind the gun & lady seat.
It does look comfortable, but I think I'll just get a custom seat with about a 2" rise using the the frame of the stock seat.

Thanks for the scoop on the OEM passenger seat. I'd actually have been surprised that it interfered with the single seat function.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know. The bike has good specs and preformance, and the price point is great, but it's really lacking in the looks department. That wierd looking tank, ugly glossy paint job. As far as looks the 300 and 500 just look way better.

See that? That's a cool looking motorcycle...but it's about 2x the price of a Rebel 1100, weighs 40-50% more, has an engine displacement of over 1700ccs so about 70% larger engine than the 1100, but only makes about 90hp and tops out at around 100mph just like the Rebel 1100.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know. The bike has good specs and preformance, and the price point is great, but it's really lacking in the looks department.
Try a test ride sometime and see how things look when riding. Sure, looks are nice, but for me it's all about function when you're on top of a bike. I've reviewed everything I could on the Scout and Harley 1200, the Rebel's closest competition. Other than rolling at deadly levels over any speed limit, I can't find a single other thing either of those do nearly as well as the 1100 ... unless it's 'look better.'

If you want multi-purpose bike that can carve canyons, sit comfortably in the freeway fast lane and get packed to tour, what other reasonably priced and reliable option is there?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts