Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title asks, how much oil does your engine use between oil changes. I change my oil more than most people and notice that I put in 2.9 to 3 quarts and get out 2.6 or 2.7 quarts.

Also do you top off between changes?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Gary,

I don't think you get every last drop of oil out of the engine during an oil change.

I follow the manual for oil changes, 8000 miles or annually, and I used about 3 ounces of oil between the 600 mile oil change and the annual oil change that I did at about 6500 miles.

Kenny G

·
Registered
278 Posts
I measure what comes out as well. I only did the 600 mile change so far so I can’t tell you. I can tell you I added 3 quarts not the required 2.9. It’s just too much of a pain to measure out that little bit. I also noticed that 3 still stayed in between the marks on the sight glass. I also short my 1800 by that amount. It requires 4.1 it gets 4.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not every drop comes out AND the filter holds a bunch.

Why do you measure the amount coming out? Nothing better to do - maybe ride?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing better to do - maybe ride?
Not sure what that comment is all about But I’ll answer it anyway. When I put the old oil into the empty quart bottles I noticed that the last quart wasn’t completely full And yes that includes the oil drained from the old filter.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not every drop comes out AND the filter holds a bunch.

Why do you measure the amount coming out? Nothing better to do - maybe ride?
I’m not sure if you are serious but I’ll assume the best of intentions and answer anyway. Why would you not measure it. Think about it. If 3 quarts go in with the filter and 2 come out with the filter drained I would say your engine has a problem wouldn’t you. It also gives me a visual when I pour it from the drain pan into the bottle. I look for “Star dust” little metal particles. If present I would want to investigate why. It takes about a minute to perform these tasks and gives me confidence that all is okay inside my motor.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I’m not sure if you are serious but I’ll assume the best of intentions and answer anyway. Why would you not measure it. Think about it. If 3 quarts go in with the filter and 2 come out with the filter drained I would say your engine has a problem wouldn’t you. It also gives me a visual when I pour it from the drain pan into the bottle. I look for “Star dust” little metal particles. If present I would want to investigate why. It takes about a minute to perform these tasks and gives me confidence that all is okay inside my motor.
You can also get those same answers by occasionally checking the oil level indicator and using a magnetic drain plug.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if you don't do your own oil changes you wouldn't know. The dealer just empties the oil into a can.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Like the title asks, how much oil does your engine use between oil changes. I change my oil more than most people and notice that I put in 2.9 to 3 quarts and get out 2.6 or 2.7 quarts.

Also do you top off between changes?
I do not need to add oil between oil changes. After 3K miles the oil level is down ~ 25% of the space between the marks. Typical engine speed is 4-6K rpm.

Reactions: longbeachgary
1 - 11 of 11 Posts