Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi, guys.

First time poster here. I spent two hours in my local dealer today. The sales guy couldn’t have been nicer. I was looking for it in black, and they didnt have it, so they knocked $100 off a gray model. I got down to $7,100 for a 2020 500 with ABS, out the door. As a final offer, I asked for 7 with no other concessions (first service, chain lube, etc). The sales manager came out and kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Long story short, I walked over 100 bucks. After I left the dealer, I called around and everyone said they couldn’t come close on that price. Did I make a mistake by walking?
hard to say, it's your call. ultimately if you're not happy or feel like they're not willing to help you, then take your money and leave. that's how you vote, with your wallet. on the other hand it doesn't seem they were gouging you since the bike lists for 6500 plus 380 listed as freight/destination charge. you can always call back and see if they reconsidered if you don't find a different deal elsewhere.
Personal note-I tend to buy new vehicles a year later when they're a leftover model, you can usually get them at a decent marked down price cuz the dealers need to move them out for new inventory. See if you can find a 2019 new , unless you're really not happy with the color or something

·
Registered
135 Posts
Holypotatoes,

Thank you for your reply. The reason I’m second guessing walking away at this point is because, immediately after leaving the dealership today, I called and emailed around to other dealers. Every response I got was essentially, “you should’ve taken that deal.” Worst case, the bike is still in the box and not on the floor, so it will probably still be there tomorrow.
I get it. But on the other hand the fact that the person there was rubbing you the wrong way strong enough to make you call off the deal over $100 says something. You may be better off spending a little more at a dealer who isn't going to treat you like crap. I do maintain the having it shipped to you method. Even if there's someone listing it for $6,499, you can try and find a place that will give it to you for that price and not tack on the other fees. Especially with Covid going on right now. A lot of businesses have been losing money hand over fist. They may be willing to compromise elsewhere. So if you get it for base price of 6499 and then calculate your shipping cost on U-Ship you may still break out around your 7k mark if not less. I was just looking at a bike on the eastern side of MI looking to ship to MN, and it would be about $200. Not bad. Or if you have a friend with a truck, look at one of your neighboring states for their prices and consider driving there to pick it up. I did that with my Rebel. Only cost me $90 in diesel at the time (now it'd be half that) and a Saturday, but saved me a couple thousand bucks.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
75 Posts
Holypotatoes,

Thank you for your reply. The reason I’m second guessing walking away at this point is because, immediately after leaving the dealership today, I called and emailed around to other dealers. Every response I got was essentially, “you should’ve taken that deal.” Worst case, the bike is still in the box and not on the floor, so it will probably still be there tomorrow.
They are just trying to hold on to the normal margins on a new bike. For reference, I bought a brand new 2019 500 in Feb where the dealer was advertising $1100 off MSRP. I walked out with it at $1300 off. It was still in the crate and they were trying to unload them since the new 2020's were coming. Granted they had new features but I got the bike for less than used models were going for.
There is room for them to play, it's just that they are used to holding the line in a normal economy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi, guys.

First time poster here. I spent two hours in my local dealer today. The sales guy couldn’t have been nicer. I was looking for it in black, and they didnt have it, so they knocked $100 off a gray model. I got down to $7,100 for a 2020 500 with ABS, out the door. As a final offer, I asked for 7 with no other concessions (first service, chain lube, etc). The sales manager came out and kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Long story short, I walked over 100 bucks. After I left the dealer, I called around and everyone said they couldn’t come close on that price. Did I make a mistake by walking?
I don't think it was a mistake - is shows you're not going to take any BS. You may have not made a purchase over $100 but they lost a sale for the same reason. If it were me, I'd call the salesperson and see if he is willing to salvage the deal. In all likelihood, he wants to get paid.

Reactions: ACsurge

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really appreciate everyone’s responses. I ended up calling the dealer back today and went through with my original deal ($7,100 out the door, 2020 500 ABS). I didn’t even ask if they’d come down the extra $100. The bike was still boxed and they sent me a photo of it after it was built. As silly as it may sound, it’s kind of nice knowing you’ve got a brand new bike that hasn’t been sat on by “tire kickers.” At any rate, as I mentioned previously, I spoke to other dealers last night after walking on the original deal, and was fortunate enough to speak with a sales rep at another dealership who was very candid and told me they couldn’t let the same bike go for any less than $7,450, so I feel like I got a great deal. I’m going to finalize and take delivery tomorrow. My only question now is... what exhaust do I get to replace the factory one?

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Hope to see you out there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bought my bike, ' 20 Rebel 500 ABS at the Toronto MC show in Feb.
$8487 on the road (13% tax)
Got free lessons at a reputable riding school, value at $530
Free Honda licensed sweatshirt, ~$80
Free back pack Honda branded Ogio backpack ~100

Told them that I needed to have them store it until end of April. Now with COVID, unable to retrieve it. No one around to release it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bought my bike, ' 20 Rebel 500 ABS at the Toronto MC show in Feb.
$8487 on the road (13% tax)
Got free lessons at a reputable riding school, value at $530
Free Honda licensed sweatshirt, ~$80
Free back pack Honda branded Ogio backpack ~100

Told them that I needed to have them store it until end of April. Now with COVID, unable to retrieve it. No one around to release it.
Oh man, that sucks.

Reactions: ACsurge

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received an out-the-door quote of just over $7600 for a 2020 500 ABS in Southern California. Is it reasonable to ask for lower? I think any lower and I’d be asking below msrp for the bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I received an out-the-door quote of just over $7600 for a 2020 500 ABS in Southern California. Is it reasonable to ask for lower? I think any lower and I’d be asking below msrp for the bike.
I paid $ 7339 for everything in October 2018 for a new Rebel 500, non ABS, from a dealer in Irvine. Of course they are out of business now. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 2020 cmx 500S (with ABS, required by law in the UK) which was delivered + road tax for one year with a full tank of gas + 2 year breakdown and 2 year warranty TOTAL COST WAS £5799 which is about 7150 US $

Was pleased with this deal! 👍👍👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
Picked up on Friday. First day of them getting back to work.

Now just have to get proper licensing. All offices still closed.
Looks awesome buddy. I'm in Toronto too and hopefully going to order this exact bike. Finally the Drive Test centres are open so I can get the M1. Not sure when Service ON will open ... good luck.

Have you ridden yet?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Rebel 300 (ABS)
33 Posts
Maybe we need this thread on this forum, so new buyers can know what to expect. I'm buying mine tomorrow, after tax, license, etc and adding an additional 3 yr warranty I'll be at $7194.40 for my 500 ABS. My local credit union hooked me up with 2.49% on the financing. So with that rate, ill finance the whole thing and use my money for add ons!
I am preeeetttty sure I got ripped off with mine, but I sort of don't care THAT much... We have a Harley and needed a sissy bar, so we went back to the dealership we got it at to get the hardware we'd need. They just so happened to have a used 300 there and I was STOKED... It was a 2018 300 with ABS with only 680 miles. They had it listed at $4,991.00. I talked to a friend who (we didnt know it was ABS at the time) said to try and wiggle them down to $3k.... I couldn't get them to bring it down that far, but they went down to $4,000 because they said that they'd be able to sell it at auction for that much. I kept saying for them to at least drop to $3,500 but nope. I wanted it pretty badly, so I stupidly went ahead and did it... I was more upset that they charged me a $499 "prep fee" on top of the $4k despite them "not being able to do anything to it", even an oil change.

So, after all of that rant... I got out at nearly $4,700 or so.. I love, love love the bike so I don't FULLY regret it, but I bet I could have gotten a 2020 300 ABS for close to that cost. :|

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks awesome buddy. I'm in Toronto too and hopefully going to order this exact bike. Finally the Drive Test centres are open so I can get the M1. Not sure when Service ON will open ... good luck.

Have you ridden yet?
Yup. Put 55km over the last week.

I had a spill during my M2 lessons which hurt my confidence. So have built up dinner but have ventured more the 60km/hr.

Drive by the Drive Test centre as now I have to update my license with the M2. Line up way too f-ing long. Good luck on getting in. I'll wait as my current M1 should be good until further notice.

Have you booked your lessons? And if so with who?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, 55km that's awesome. I look forward to being able to do that. I was excited to hear/see that the Drive Test centres open this week, then I saw the lineups on CP24 and cried a little inside. I might go early one morning next week and just take the wait...gotta get the ball rolling. But I HATE standing in line 😫 lol

I've actually just booked my M2 lessons/course this evening. I was looking at Learning Curves, and saw that their booking opened today, so booked the weekend of Aug 22-23, the first available. Have you heard of them? Was your M2 a good experience?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For a 2020 Rebel 300 ABS Matte Blue I just got quoted $6757 out of Bakersfield, Ca. With a sticker price of $4799. I’m kinda disappointed because I really want the bike but not for that much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, 55km that's awesome. I look forward to being able to do that. I was excited to hear/see that the Drive Test centres open this week, then I saw the lineups on CP24 and cried a little inside. I might go early one morning next week and just take the wait...gotta get the ball rolling. But I HATE standing in line lol

I've actually just booked my M2 lessons/course this evening. I was looking at Learning Curves, and saw that their booking opened today, so booked the weekend of Aug 22-23, the first available. Have you heard of them? Was your M2 a good experience?
I'm now over 600km.

I had to go to Drive Test to get my M2 permit. Went in the afternoon. I think about 3ish. No line up. Although there was only 1 person behind the counter so I still had to wait for about 6 min. Got to the desk. They did there thing and was out in under 15 min.

Newmarket location.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm now over 600km.

I had to go to Drive Test to get my M2 permit. Went in the afternoon. I think about 3ish. No line up. Although there was only 1 person behind the counter so I still had to wait for about 6 min. Got to the desk. They did there thing and was out in under 15 min.

Newmarket location.

Thanks for the tip!

I got my M1 couple of weeks ago (arrived at 6:45am, finished the test around 9:30am!!!) at the one in Etobicoke. Got the weekend course booked for August 22-23. Then I might take your advice and mosy on up to Newmarket. Happy riding brother. Has anything surprised you during the first 600, good or bad?

·
Registered
in progress
26 Posts
Bought my first ever bike 3 weeks ago for my 69th birthday present to myself.
Paid just on 7000$ (in Thai Baht) including helmet lock, dual USB charger, engine guard and rear carrier, 12 month's roadside recovery and 12 month guarantee and 12 month Full insurance ..... and a full tank!
Love her to bits....

221 - 240 of 252 Posts