Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS in blue
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 4100 miles on my bike so far, since I bought it Dec2020.
Hw long do the stock Dunlops last? I'm doing mixed freeway and weekend semi twisted rides, and I'm wondering when I'll need to get fresh shoes on.

·
Registered
703 Posts
what my Rebel 500 with OEM Dunlop tires look like at 7,438 miles

rear tire with new tire for comparison
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

front tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Light

see page 63 and 64 in your owners manual...inspect for damage and tread depth and replace as necessary
Font Material property Parallel Document Pattern

Reactions: billnoroville

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS in blue
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha! looks like I have a good ways to go on this rubber, then. I still have the little slits in the main treads for wet grip.

Definitely an incentive to keep the weight down---longer tire life.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wore my stock tires out at 3,800 miles. twisty roads and a twisty wrist will eat those cheapie's up.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
mine weren't worn out, but i changed them at 8k miles, because i was tired of the "performance", after riding another bike with different tires

·
Registered
749 Posts
A tire story: Sometime in the early 70's, I talked to a rider while participating in the Sunday Morning ride up around Mill Valley. He had a 750 Kawasaki two stroke triple (often called the Widow Maker). I had a 500 2 stroke triple. He told me he gets 200-250 miles out of the rear tire. I thought he was full of BS. After the ride I headed to Sears Point raceway to watch the motorcycle road races with other rider friends. On the way there, The rider on the 750 passed me at about 80mph and he was only using the rear tire as the front was off the ground for at least the next 1/2 mile where the there was a bend. Later that day, when the stock open class was started I say the rider sitting at the starting line. I never knew where he finished that day. But now I know why his tire mileage was so bad.

What I get; usually get 6-7000 miles on a rear tire. My 1100 now has 5000 miles on it and looks pretty good so maybe 8k or so. Most riders wear out the center before they wear out the edges. Those wear strips mean something important so pay attention.

Also tires get hard when they get old. I will not ride on tires 7 years old since mounted on my bikes even if they don't show cracks and have been on my bikes that are always garaged.

Most tires are warrantied 5 years. In today's shortages and supply problems you could easily buy a new tire that is already more than a year old (look for the date code after the DOT info). First 2 digits is week and 2nd 2 digits is the year. 4819=48th week of 2019. If you get a 1 year old tire just document it because most makes will stand behind their tire from date of installation or at least date of sale invoice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
how long is a string? one thing to remember about tires, they are like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it disappears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts