Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I think, we all are more or less educated/ experienced riders on our rebels. I am fairly experienced over all my riding years, but I have to learn and train a lot more to be able to go trough unexpected traffic situations.

In the end of august I go to a short training class to learn more with others and with a motorcycle-instructor.
In the meantime I have read an very interesting book of Bernt Spiegel "the upper half of the motorcycle" and just now I have found this website
https://www.patreon.com/MCrider

I´ve seen a lot of videos on youtube from Kevin Morris "MCrider" and he shows every biker a lot of hints for better biking.
What do you say about stuff like training methodically to improve biking techniques and enhance the knowledge of biking in general?:wink2:

·
Registered
712 Posts
There were 2 guys in my Motorcycle Safety Course who said they take that class at the beginning of every riding season, just to brush up on the basics after not riding all winter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bernt Spiegel, the german motorcycle trainer and also Kevin "MCrider" Morris (I had him linked above) said both: "we maybe have riding experience for decades, but we are not immune against to making the same faults for decades."
In my opinion, this is a good philosophy, for riding, also for other life situations.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I try to take the Advanced class every 3 years, but, they seem to have stopped offering it in Tucson. They finally accepted trail braking the last time I took it (2014). I too ride year around.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There were 2 guys in my Motorcycle Safety Course who said they take that class at the beginning of every riding season, just to brush up on the basics after not riding all winter.
I hope they do not live in Cali. That's $250 every season.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me too... if weather permits.
It could be so in these times of climate changing.
Normally I stop riding from Nov. to April because of temperature, snow, sleet and gravel on all main roads because the municipal services are throwing gravel and chemicals like salt on the road to prevent vehicles from sliding on them. This is no fun for bikers and the Rebel is no dirt bike...:smile2:
But maybe I become also an all-year- biker now, because we have no more snow, no gravel and lowest winter temps about + 2-4 degrees C.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Subthread to trainings: counter steering

Have any of you deliberately tried counter steering?
Most bike trainers say, we do it unconsciously all the time when the bike goes over 15 mph. Under this speed, cornering is as with a car or with a slow bicycle.
It´s physically necessary because every 2 wheeled vehicle needs it to lean in the cornering direction above a certain speed.
I have trained it a little:
for cornering to the left, you push the left handlebar a bit to the left (so the front wheel goes a bit to the right, but the leaning goes to the left. And so you are steering very quick to the left. For the right direction the same, vice versa.
There are lot of youtubers doing and explaining it. For example:

Learning it the hard way:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I try to ride twisties once a week and take some classes for navigating turns. Here are some pics from my most recent class!

Being an everyday rider I keep extra safe by practicing curves and taking it easy at intersections.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts