Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to check if anyone else has these four hoses sort of hanging out of the bottom of their bike close to the kickstand. I've added a couple of pics for reference.

I googled this and I'm hearing a mix between drainage hoses and breather hoses. Wanted to see if anyone had a more firm answer.

Also would love to hear if anyone had a safe but elegant way to manage these hoses? I kinda hate how they mess with the aesthetics of the bike.

Hope this is the right spot for this thread.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
they are both drainage and breather hoses. I don't know which one is which but they're fine being there, nothing to worry about. If you really need to know which one is which, should be in the manual someplace. I used to know when i first bought my bike back in Feb which one was which but I since forgot.

·
Registered
399 Posts
First off there should only be three hoses: 1) Hose with cap is the crankcase breather. If you live in a rainy climate of have dropped the bike on it's side, inspect and drain as needed. 2) Larger diameter hose should be the radiator overflow line. 3) Smaller line should be the gas tank overflow/vent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are both drainage and breather hoses. I don't know which one is which but they're fine being there, nothing to worry about. If you really need to know which one is which, should be in the manual someplace. I used to know when i first bought my bike back in Feb which one was which but I since forgot.
Perfect, thanks for confirming!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off there should only be three hoses: 1) Hose with cap is the crankcase breather. If you live in a rainy climate of have dropped the bike on it's side, inspect and drain as needed. 2) Larger diameter hose should be the radiator overflow line. 3) Smaller line should be the gas tank overflow/vent.
Not sure why but I have 4 showme. From your descriptions this is what I'm seeing as far as I can tell:

1 of the hose with cap (crankcase breather)
2 of the large diameter hoses (radiator overflow line)
1 of the smaller line (gas tank overflow/vent)

She's riding fine so I'm good but glad to know what is what.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
No, some have only 3, but the CM model (as it's called in the service manual) has 4 actually.
They are:
- Fuel tank breather tube
- Fuel tank drain hose
- Radiator reserve tank overflow hose
- Crankcase breather drain tube.

Other models who only have 3 hoses, doesn't have the Fuel tank breather hose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, some have only 3, but the CM model (as it's called in the service manual) has 4 actually.
They are:
- Fuel tank breather tube
- Fuel tank drain hose
- Radiator reserve tank overflow hose
- Crankcase breather drain tube.

Other models who only have 3 hoses, doesn't have the Fuel tank breather hose.
Perfect! Thanks for the clarification Lyoko!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
im getting some dripping from the crankcase hose. couple of drops on my driveway... normal? Happend twice so far...

Disregard - found my answer in another thread... parked in the sun

·
Registered
7 Posts
Perfect! Thanks for the clarification Lyoko!!
Just a comment about the importance of the location of those hoses. I took a different Honda into my Honda Dealer to do some work that involved removing the panel that covers the front sprocket. That's where those hoses exit. When he put it back together he didn't get them in the right place and pinched one of them closed. I rode around several days with no problem but when I went for a longer ride and stopped to fill the tank I could only add a small amount. The tank had collapsed during the longer ride due to not being able to relieve the vacuum. Their location is indicated in the service manual but that area is congested on some bikes. Sadly the dealer had to pay for a new tank. So lesson learned; Don't mess with those hoses unless you know exactly where they belong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts