Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had this Rebel 500 from new.
Today I noticed that I can sound my horn by pressing it against the fuel tank when I swerve the steering bar left. (While maneuvering the bike in the garage)

It's irritating because you hit the horn button easily during parking maneuvering.

Actually there's a slight dent on the tank done by the horn switch pressing or slamming on the tank.

Anyone else have this fault?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just discovered this today. When you steer to the right (all the way) nothing touches the fuel tank. This happens when steering to maximum to the left.
The bar could have been rotated by it's previous owner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to my untrained eyes everything looks ok.
Gotta go down to the garage and check.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have 1 1/4 inches between the tank and the horn button when turned all the way left. I'd say the previous owner dropped your bike, bent the bars and dented the tank.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Stock handlebars.
Those don't look stock at all, look like they are rolled forward compared to the forks.
Mine are back as far as I can get them ( almost touching the tank ) but I still want them back a touch for comfort.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have not had this Rebel 500 from new.
Today I noticed that I can sound my horn by pressing it against the fuel tank when I swerve the steering bar left. (While maneuvering the bike in the garage)

It's irritating because you hit the horn button easily during parking maneuvering.

Actually there's a slight dent on the tank done by the horn switch pressing or slamming on the tank.

Anyone else have this fault?
Ya know we can guess all day long about your problem, a couple pictures would help get you an answer. If you have stock bars loosen the four allen heads on the bar clamp and roll them forward a bit, make sure they are centered in the clamp (use a ruler...not your eyeball).

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wonder if they really are "factory" built. Do they not arrive on a pallet as a kit of parts for dealer consrruction? If so, each bike could be different? Mine has a 1" gap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder if they really are "factory" built. Do they not arrive on a pallet as a kit of parts for dealer consrruction? If so, each bike could be different? Mine has a 1" gap.

see R80rt post about handlebar punch mark...

if flunkies in the back room used that mark to assemble handlebars to the bike they would all gap out on tank clearance exactly the same...but we all know some assemblers are not the sharpest knife in the drawer and just slap stuff together...hence yours has a 1" gap others may have vary

getting back to the op...if his is hitting on one side and not the other the bar is not centered (side to side in the clamps) or is bent

by the way the assembly punch mark does not mean you can not adjust your handlebars fore and aft to your liking...it's only an aid for initial assembly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya know we can guess all day long about your problem, a couple pictures would help get you an answer. If you have stock bars loosen the four allen heads on the bar clamp and roll them forward a bit, make sure they are centered in the clamp (use a ruler...not your eyeball).

Here are some pics I took... I bought this red colour style as is from previous owner. I removed a red Motozaaa windscreen and the pillion seat.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts