Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
What color do you expect to get & how big a bump are you expecting in insurance rates?
I'm certain the entire forum will be looking forward to a full report after delivery & break in.
Congrats !

·
Registered
4 Posts
What color do you expect to get & how big a bump are you expecting in insurance rates?
I'm certain the entire forum will be looking forward to a full report after delivery & break in.
Congrats !
Well, I’m hoping for the Bordeaux Red, but if the Black comes in way earlier, we will see. I am thinking that it will bump my insurance a bit, but hopefully nothing dramatic. Once I have it, I will let everyone know. I’m stoked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another writeup at motorcycle.com: 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 First Look – Updated!. They seem to like what they’re hearing so far. Me too ... very, very much so. I just warned the wife I’ll be taking a close look at this in the spring. Hey, the CB650R will be a year old by then. :LOL:

I’ve had mostly heavy cruisers up until the last couple of years. This Rebel 1100 I’m thinking will be a much better fit for my riding style than the CB, while being a little less intense than what I’d been riding previously. At least that’s what I’m gonna be telling myself for the next few months. A visit in person and an honest test drive will be the final deciding factors.

@Thats1nacho, congrats on the coming purchase!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Traded in my vs800 for the 500 Rebel, miss the "grunt" of a bigger bike but in 2018 there
wasn't much to choose from that didn't weight 600 - 700 lbs. Not getting any younger, but
an 1100 under 500 lbs. definitely worth considering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Traded in my vs800 for the 500 Rebel, miss the "grunt" of a bigger bike but in 2018 there
wasn't much to choose from that didn't weight 600 - 700 lbs. Not getting any younger, but
an 1100 under 500 lbs. definitely worth considering.
Yeah, I’m no spring chicken myself (just turned 63). I outright sold a Valkyrie 1800 a few years ago because, as awesome of a machine as it was, it really had become a bit too much bike for me. A few months later I still had the itch, but didn’t want to jump back into anything too serious, so I grabbed a Monkey. Fun, but just nowhere near enough bike for anything over 40 mph. Traded that this past spring for a CB650R. The looks floored me immediately, but I’m finding it really is more of a sport-ish screamer than I want or need. It’s a fantastic machine, but just doesn’t fit my riding style. That’s what brought me here, looking at the Rebel 500. But I’m afraid, as you kind of alluded, that it’s not going to be quite enough bike for the times I do want a little more grunt ... just not the kind of hair-standing-up-on-your-neck grunt like the CB has.

Two of my favorite bikes I’ve owned were the 1995 Shadow 1100 (my first brand new bike) and 2005 VTX 1800C. I still wish I had the VTX - it’s the last bike that I put some serious time and money customizing to exactly what I wanted, even though today it would fall in the more-bike-than-I-need category. The Shadow, though, struck that near perfect balance of comfort and decent enough power that would probably suit me perfectly today. This Rebel 1100, at least on paper, looks to check all those old boxes. The only question now is if I stay the traditional manual shift path, or take the plunge kicking and screaming into the present with the DCT.

So I’m kinda curious now, of the folks here considering one, which gearbox are y’all leaning towards?

·
Registered
44 Posts
12 years ago I found a cb650 c & used that as my return to back on 2 wheels (cage only for
over 30 years). Excellent bike but hard to get parts for. Followed that with a 2007 VS800,
a reliable & stunning looking bike that would go no more than 180 km's between fills.
Retired & moved to the middle of nowhere and needed more range, hence the very frugal Rebel.
Gearbox ; only city use .. likely DCT Mostly highway ; 6 speed with cruise control.
My 500 reminds me of the first bike I owned, a 1971 cb350 purchased in 1973 .
Cost $1.00 to fill up & rode it all week.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
75 Posts
Pretty excited to see a Rebel 1100 in person. Really love my 500 so probably not gonna upgrade. It is a nice bike but the tank is still too small to justify the upgrade. Besides anyone buying it newly released is going to have to wait months for aftermarket parts assuming the parts from the 2017-2020 don't fit and I'm gonna assume they won't because the bike is definitely bigger. Id tell anyone to wait 6 months if they wanted to add some upgrades.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The more i see that color the more it's growing on me, and I usually prefer the look of black or darker paint colors.
Definitely the color I’ll be going after. If at all possible, I’ll be axing the dealer to add passenger seat, low backrest and rear rack at delivery time. And that’s about all I think I’ll be doing to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So my question is, will this forum cover the 1100 when it’s out? It’s so similar but has a totally different frame and a bunch of other differences. Then again it would still be a 3rd gen “rebel” technically. Any input?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Leaning towards a DTC... and trying to justify trading my 500..

500 is more then enough for my driving style.

We shall see once it come in

·
Registered
627 Posts
Leaning towards a DTC... and trying to justify trading my 500..

500 is more then enough for my driving style.

We shall see once it come in
Trouble is, it would be such a great ride!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I’m reading every article I can find about riding any and every Honda available with DCT to try to get an idea of whether that’s the way I want to go or not, at least the best idea I can get without actually riding one myself. So far, everything I’m seeing has me leaning more and more towards a DCT.

If anybody else is on the fence about it, I strongly suggest doing a search on ‘riding a Honda motorcycle with DCT’. I’ve yet to find anything negative; the closest I can see is a few writers who enjoyed riding with it, but still preferred fully manual with a clutch. For me, I’m thinking it will be totally worth the extra few $$$ as every new bike gets closer and closer to being my last.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A shop in Quebec posted the msrp on their website, $13594 (manual), $14594 (DCT)...priced a bit higher than i thought.
That's NOT the official MSRP even with the exchange rate it's way high. The DCT is supposed to be $9,999, 12,907 Canadian.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts