·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12 Posts
A very tempting upgrade, but I just got my new R500 in August! Oh well never get the first iteration, wait until all the bugs are sorted out in the next one (ok so I’m trying to make myself feel better about not getting the 1100 in the first place!)

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 ABS
30 Posts
A very tempting upgrade, but I just got my new R500 in August! Oh well never get the first iteration, wait until all the bugs are sorted out in the next one (ok so I’m trying to make myself feel better about not getting the 1100 in the first place!)
That's what I'm going to keep telling myself as well...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like some real competition for the Indian Scout & Sportster 1200. Cruise control & multiple
riding modes should create quite the beast. Small fuel tank will limit range but that seems to be
normal for this class of machine. Honda suggests 20 km's per litre or approx. 47 mpg u.s.
My 500 averages 30 kml. or approx. 70 mpg (u.s.) with relatively civilized highway riding.

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 ABS
30 Posts
Looks like some real competition for the Indian Scout & Sportster 1200. Cruise control & multiple
riding modes should create quite the beast. Small fuel tank will limit range but that seems to be
normal for this class of machine. Honda suggests 20 km's per litre or approx. 47 mpg u.s.
My 500 averages 30 kml. or approx. 70 mpg (u.s.) with relatively civilized highway riding.
Where did you see the gas mileage estimates for the 1100? Fuel capacity on the 500 is 2.9 gallons * advertised 67mpg = 198 mile range. Fuel capacity on the 1100 is 3.6 gallons * 47 mpg (if that is indeed what they are advertising) = 169 mile range. If that turns out to be the case that would be pretty disappointing. I was hoping the 1100 would end up having a longer range than the 500.

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 ABS
30 Posts
Info. was "liberated" from the new article on visordown.com
Got it. Interesting. I wonder how accurate that will turn out to be. Though it looks like real world Africa Twin consumption is about that (upper 40s mpg). My real world consumption on my 500 is about 52 mpg which gives me a range of about 150 miles per tank. So I figure the 1100 has maybe roughly a 20 mile range advantage...certainly not much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my rebel 500. Was not satisfied with the sound of it so I bought a Vance and Hines slip on. Now with the new reveal, I do plan on eventually upgrading but from one of the videos, the new 1100 still sounds like a sowing machine, so I'm hoping that my slip on will fit the new 1100 when I do eventually upgrade.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got it. Interesting. I wonder how accurate that will turn out to be. Though it looks like real world Africa Twin consumption is about that (upper 40s mpg). My real world consumption on my 500 is about 52 mpg which gives me a range of about 150 miles per tank. So I figure the 1100 has maybe roughly a 20 mile range advantage...certainly not much.
An 1100 cc "cruiser" is more about ego than practicality. Western Europe & North America mostly
use these machines as toys. The real #'s are in the small cc bikes most of the rest of the world use as family workhorses.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What are they thinking with that exhaust? :cautious: Our 300/500 exhausts are already bulky and ugly and now they've just doubled its width and called it a day. Makes no sense. As much as I love my Rebel, there's nothing about this one that makes me want to go out and buy it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The exhaust was likely to conform to Euro 5 spec's. A 500 lb. cruiser with nearly 90 hp would
still be a blast to ride. Corrected my hideous muffler with a Radiant Cycle GP Shorty

·
Registered
275 Posts
What are they thinking with that exhaust? :cautious: Our 300/500 exhausts are already bulky and ugly and now they've just doubled its width and called it a day. Makes no sense. As much as I love my Rebel, there's nothing about this one that makes me want to go out and buy it.
It looks taller not thicker.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wait wait wait! What have they done to the fork tubes? The stanchions are black but those are not boots!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wait wait wait! What have they done to the fork tubes? The stanchions are black but those are not boots!!!
titanium oxide finish

·
Registered
139 Posts
It looks taller not thicker.
Fine I should have used "height" instead of width. You understood what I meant. It's bad enough that when you try to get on/off the 500 you accidentally clunk your foot into it. Now having it bigger will make that worse. I just don't understand why they couldn't have gone with a cleaner look instead of the giant can.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts