Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Just picked up the 2nd to last 1100 DCT on the West Coast. Love the ride. Off the bat though I was having a little issue with staying comfortable on the bike at 50+ mph with all the wind hitting my chest. I bought the last in-stock Honda OE Batwing Cowl and Windshield and just finished the install, about to test it.
Install was a major pain in the ass for the bracket, took me a little over 2.5 hours for the whole thing.
Will post again after my test ride, I’m just beat from the terrible install. Can post install also, since the instructions from Honda’s website are straightforward but make it look easy. Got some tips and tricks for others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got back from my test ride, wind against my chest is gone, slight head buffeting but not the end of the world.
There is a slight whistle above 50mph, comes and goes, just need to isolate the sound.
Now for the install: it’s fairly straight forward according to the Honda instructions, the biggest/hardest part is installing the “stay”/bracket that holds everything.
1) The bracket attachs to the front via 4 screws and two rubber inserts that go under the center handle bar and this is where the issues start. You have to remove the two screws (using a 3/16 hex wrench or a t40 torx/star) securing the headlight assembly to the fork. There are two spacers that you have to insert in these holes and then secure with the provided longer screws.

As you can see, the right side is far easier than the left cause there’s nothing blocking you. Do NOT secure the top screws first. You have to secure the bracket first using the two rubber inserts, then getting the bottom part of the bracket over the new spacers for the headlight assembly was an exercise in futility.
For the left side, you have to remove this bracket with a single 8mm bolt holding all the wiring in place, once you remove that bracket you can move the wire looms out of the way.

Insert the spacers and then drop the new screws in to keep them aligned but not yet tightened.
Up top you remove the two hex screws securing the screen to the handlebar. Those two screws will be replaced with two 8mm bolts. Make sure those things are aligned or you’ll strip the bolts EASILY. Good luck waiting for replacements.

2) The cowl is secured by 6 small screws to the main bracket. If you do not tighten these correctly, you will experience an annoying rattle.
3) If you have a short/thin T40 torx head, this process will be much shorter, cause you can easily remove the bolts and reattach to the bar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Lightsauce,

were you able to fix that head buffeting? Just got my OEM Windshield and experiencing the same thing.
It was installed by the dealer. Also, same whistling sound at 60+ mph, but not sure if it's coming from the windshield or the helmet yet.

The Windshield looks awesome and has a premium feel to it. but was not expecting that buffeting...

Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Switched helmets from a Shoei Neotec II to a Shoei J Cruise II and the buffeting is mostly gone.

As for the whistle, I was able to get rid of it. You have to make sure the windscreen itself is pushed up as far as it’ll possibly go, cause part of the cowl was touching the windscreen and creating a small tunnel where the whistling was coming from. I’ll snap a photo for you later where it was coming from.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I solved the whistling a month ago and posted it on some FB Rebel 1100 group.
Updated my Rebel 1100 post (in my signature) with the details.

Air passes thru the scoop and hits the metal bracket, so you need to slightly change the airflow with a small piece on top and soften where the air hits the metal mounting bracket.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Buffeting is the number 1 complaint I have with windshields. 3 hours of buffeting on a long ride will get to you.

If I had the Honda setup I would add a variable wing often sold to eliminate the buffeting. I used one on a VFR 750 once with success. They can clip on to the top of the windshield in most cases. Not a clean/nice as factory but what are your choices after installing. Maybe if everyone who bought one and found it had buffeting contacted Honda maybe they would make one taller. Wishful thinking on my part.

I wish Honda offered a taller windshield for their cowl. Maybe another company will eventually offer one.

Anyway, great post and pictures and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Madstad windscreen I bought for my NC750X DCT was the best windscreen I’ve ever owned. Fully adjustable, custom made, and the quality was top notch. Completely eliminated buffeting and made my NC750X the ultimate commuter bike. I’m sad I had to sell mine, it was comfortable and inexpensive. Just checked and Madstad hasn’t made one for the CMX1100 yet, but I’d imagine they would eventually.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The Madstad windscreen I bought for my NC750X DCT was the best windscreen I’ve ever owned. Fully adjustable, custom made, and the quality was top notch. Completely eliminated buffeting and made my NC750X the ultimate commuter bike. I’m sad I had to sell mine, it was comfortable and inexpensive. Just checked and Madstad hasn’t made one for the CMX1100 yet, but I’d imagine they would eventually.
View attachment 35276
I emailed Madstad. They need someone in Florida to take their 1100 in so they can design the mounting brackets. I posted that on this forum but apparently there are no 1100 owners close by that want the greatest windshield they can get for free (probably would get one free by helping Madstad out).

I had an FZ-09 with one of their windshields. Was great. fully adjustable. I traded that bike with windshield on the 1100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any more tips for getting the bracket installed? I can't for the life of me get the spacers and bracket to line up without pulling the little arms with the plungers out at the top. I can get the headlight up onto the bridge with the bracket on top of the spacers, but then they don't line up, it's like the angle of the headlight is wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any more tips for getting the bracket installed? I can't for the life of me get the spacers and bracket to line up without pulling the little arms with the plungers out at the top. I can get the headlight up onto the bridge with the bracket on top of the spacers, but then they don't line up, it's like the angle of the headlight is wrong.
I fitted the little arms in the plunger all the way first, then went to work on the spacers down below. What I ended up doing was using a large flathead screwdriver to give enough leverage to get the hole from the bracket on top of the spacer. Then dropped the screw in to make sure it wouldn’t move off the spacer until I was ready to tighten it in.
Get the spacer in, then wedge the flathead between the spacer and the bracket and push up. Hope I’m making sense. That was the worst part of the install, especially the left/clutch side. Do that one first, the other side is far easier once you get the left one in.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100dct
35 Posts
Greetings all,

Just picked up the 2nd to last 1100 DCT on the West Coast. Love the ride. Off the bat though I was having a little issue with staying comfortable on the bike at 50+ mph with all the wind hitting my chest. I bought the last in-stock Honda OE Batwing Cowl and Windshield and just finished the install, about to test it.
Install was a major pain in the ass for the bracket, took me a little over 2.5 hours for the whole thing.
Will post again after my test ride, I’m just beat from the terrible install. Can post install also, since the instructions from Honda’s website are straightforward but make it look easy. Got some tips and tricks for others.

View attachment 35202
View attachment 35203
View attachment 35204
View attachment 35205
View attachment 35206
View attachment 35207
How tall r u? I'5'4". Wondering if this would work for me.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
22 Posts
We got the T-Rex adjustable windshield with the Large windshield and it has worked perfectly. We can adjust the height and angle to keep the air off our helmets. We can also lower it and tilt it in if we are riding slow and want air blowing on our chest. It is my wife's bike, mine is a goldwing, but I enjoy riding her little, light, bike for some kicks. Both are DCT and she bought hers since she loved the ease with which the Goldwing can be handled.

·
Registered
675 Posts
We got the T-Rex adjustable windshield with the Large windshield and it has worked perfectly. We can adjust the height and angle to keep the air off our helmets. We can also lower it and tilt it in if we are riding slow and want air blowing on our chest. It is my wife's bike, mine is a goldwing, but I enjoy riding her little, light, bike for some kicks. Both are DCT and she bought hers since she loved the ease with which the Goldwing can be handled.
I just checked t rex for windscreen for the 1100 dct , no such luck, you still got a part number ? looking to get one before next love bug season if the bike doesn't sell

·
Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
22 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts