Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I always buy factory extended warranties. I'm just that unlucky.
I even buy the $7 warranty on a $100 camera from Walmart because if it's gonna break, it's mine that's gonna do it.

I buy Toyota trucks which are usually crazy reliable for everyone, but I always get the one built on Monday morning after the Superbowl by hungover orangutans.
I bought the 10 year Platinum Toyota coverage on my new Tacoma for $2000 (you can negotiate pricing on extended warranties at most dealers on new cars/trucks) and it saved me $7200 in repairs last week. The truck was three weeks out of it's 3-36 coverage so it would have been all on me. $200 year for that peace of mind is worth it.

Since my Honda is a DCT bike and it's covered in electronics and solenoids, etc I will buy the Honda Extended Warranty near to when my factory 1 year coverage is over.
I just watched the DCT fail on a guy on YT, I don't need that hassle of paying a shop to replace that transmission when I'm out of warranty, or replacing ABS sensors, engine control computers, etc.

If this was an old school mechanical Honda motorcycle without all those gadgets I'd prob risk it.

· Registered
14 Posts
I always buy factory extended warranties. I'm just that unlucky.
I even buy the $7 warranty on a $100 camera from Walmart because if it's gonna break, it's mine that's gonna do it.

I buy Toyota trucks which are usually crazy reliable for everyone, but I always get the one built on Monday morning after the Superbowl by hungover orangutans.
I bought the 10 year Platinum Toyota coverage on my new Tacoma for $2000 (you can negotiate pricing on extended warranties at most dealers on new cars/trucks) and it saved me $7200 in repairs last week. The truck was three weeks out of it's 3-36 coverage so it would have been all on me. $200 year for that peace of mind is worth it.

Since my Honda is a DCT bike and it's covered in electronics and solenoids, etc I will buy the Honda Extended Warranty near to when my factory 1 year coverage is over.
I just watched the DCT fail on a guy on YT, I don't need that hassle of paying a shop to replace that transmission when I'm out of warranty, or replacing ABS sensors, engine control computers, etc.

If this was an old school mechanical Honda motorcycle without all those gadgets I'd prob risk it.
What went wrong on the Tacoma?I bought one a year ago.I think it was smart getting the extended warranty on the Rebel 1100.They are having a their share of problems.

· Registered
11 Posts
Both front Fox Racing strut assemblies shot at 19,000 miles of light use.
Body mounts worn through as well. (Front body mounts wearing through are a common noise issue with the Tacomas)
Full software update needed on the TRD Pro JBL sound/nav system.

The strut issue seems to be a thing on the TRD Pro 4Runners and Tacomas but Toyota has only issued a TSB fix for the 4Runners (full replacement of the struts). The Tacomas are fixed on a case by case situation if you get a good dealer.

Whole front end rattled and clanked like a clapped out Chevy Cavalier with 200,000 miles on it over any bump.

Mechanic at first claimed 'normal noise for off road shocks' because he couldn't find the issue driving it in the parking lot.

I had to contact Fox Racing who said there should be zero noise from their assemblies, then took that to the service manager with a copy of the TSB on the 4Runners as a comparison of a known issue who was very cool with me and filed the warranty claim to get it all covered and replaced.

· Registered
31 Posts
I never buy extended warranties from dealers, they are almost never the manufacturer backing them and people always have problem with denials and all of that. I also don't like being pressured into that right in the moment, I hate it, I always decline. I knew this one was being offered direct from Honda, but I am sure they have a markup on it when the dealer offers it.

I declined the warranty when I bought the bike, I waited for the letter from Honda and picked up the +4 year with roadside. My reasons:

1. I wasn't sure I would like the bike, so I declined when I bought it. Over the first summer, I fell in love and will be keeping this bike for well beyond the factory warranty.
  2. This is a complex machine to me (I have the DCT) and was a relatively new model (2nd year as a 2022), while I feel it will be reliable, some backup never hurts. While likely not many things will go wrong, they CAN.
  3. I intend to keep the machine for that term.
  4. Unlimited miles - I put 4,000 miles on the first summer, and will likely double that this coming year, if not more. Stretch that out for years, and it is decent backup to what we don't yet know may give out on these bikes.
  5. Should I choose to sell it, it transfers and people like that stuff. The longer I have it, the more miles will be on it, while maybe this isn't the case, I feel like having this warranty from Honda on the bike will increase the chances of being able to sell it with higher miles.
  6. I'm older and can afford it.
  7. I will be going on trips spanning multiple weeks and long distance, something WILL break, if I always stayed within an hour or so of home, I would probably not have done it. Maybe whatever breaks is somehow not covered, but there are many items that are covered that if they break, it more than makes up for it.
  8. I could and it made me feel better about going across the USA on long trips.
  9. My insurance has 24/7 roadside, but having a second outlet never hurts since those are not always 100%, and having that coverage from the company familiar with the machine (or whatever dealer they sub out to wherever I am) is a bonus vs. some random tow truck.
  10. Again being older, while I absolutely have the facility and faculty to repair this on my own, I simply don't want to. My time is worth more than that these days. I handle basic maintenance myself but replacing a piston is beyond what I feel like dealing with (yes, unlikely).
To any on the fence, this warranty is at least factory backed and not some random warranty place. I don't think you get scammed if you decide to go with it but that is for YOU to decide, it is a personal preference and if it makes you feel better/more secure, go for it.

If this was 'Bike Warranty Plus' out of China, that is a totally different conversation.

· Registered
2022 Rebel 1100, 2019 Rebel 500, 2017 Ducati Diavel, 1974 Husqvarna 250WR
59 Posts
I never buy extended warranties from dealers, they are almost never the manufacturer backing them and people always have problem with denials and all of that. I also don't like being pressured into that right in the moment, I hate it, I always decline. I knew this one was being offered direct from Honda, but I am sure they have a markup on it when the dealer offers it.

I declined the warranty when I bought the bike, I waited for the letter from Honda and picked up the +4 year with roadside. My reasons:

1. I wasn't sure I would like the bike, so I declined when I bought it. Over the first summer, I fell in love and will be keeping this bike for well beyond the factory warranty.
  2. This is a complex machine to me (I have the DCT) and was a relatively new model (2nd year as a 2022), while I feel it will be reliable, some backup never hurts. While likely not many things will go wrong, they CAN.
  3. I intend to keep the machine for that term.
  4. Unlimited miles - I put 4,000 miles on the first summer, and will likely double that this coming year, if not more. Stretch that out for years, and it is decent backup to what we don't yet know may give out on these bikes.
  5. Should I choose to sell it, it transfers and people like that stuff. The longer I have it, the more miles will be on it, while maybe this isn't the case, I feel like having this warranty from Honda on the bike will increase the chances of being able to sell it with higher miles.
  6. I'm older and can afford it.
  7. I will be going on trips spanning multiple weeks and long distance, something WILL break, if I always stayed within an hour or so of home, I would probably not have done it. Maybe whatever breaks is somehow not covered, but there are many items that are covered that if they break, it more than makes up for it.
  8. I could and it made me feel better about going across the USA on long trips.
  9. My insurance has 24/7 roadside, but having a second outlet never hurts since those are not always 100%, and having that coverage from the company familiar with the machine (or whatever dealer they sub out to wherever I am) is a bonus vs. some random tow truck.
  10. Again being older, while I absolutely have the facility and faculty to repair this on my own, I simply don't want to. My time is worth more than that these days. I handle basic maintenance myself but replacing a piston is beyond what I feel like dealing with (yes, unlikely).
To any on the fence, this warranty is at least factory backed and not some random warranty place. I don't think you get scammed if you decide to go with it but that is for YOU to decide, it is a personal preference and if it makes you feel better/more secure, go for it.

If this was 'Bike Warranty Plus' out of China, that is a totally different conversation.

· Registered
2022 Rebel 1100, 2019 Rebel 500, 2017 Ducati Diavel, 1974 Husqvarna 250WR
59 Posts
Hi SirFunPants,
I did the same thing for the exact reason you did. Time is something that can't be bought. As we get older I realize many things that I use to spend time on is now not worth it today. Also less stress is better so enjoy the ride!

· Registered
11 Posts
"I never buy extended warranties from dealers, they are almost never the manufacturer backing them "

Weird, I've never had a dealer try to sell me a warranty on a new vehicle that wasn't from the manufacturer.
And I buy a good amount of new vehicles.

Every Honda dealer I've been to sells the Honda factory extended warranty, and usually you can negotiate the prices. You can't negotiate with the letter Honda mails you.

· Registered
417 Posts
I knew this one was being offered direct from Honda, but I am sure they have a markup on it when the dealer offers it.
Actually, it's just the opposite. You can negotiate a lower price thru your dealer and get it for much less. Mine was almost half the price for the same factory warranty. The dealership made a little money on the deal that they wouldn't have otherwise if I had paid the full price to the manufacturer directly. Wait until Honda sends an offer in the mail and take it with you to help with negotiating a lower price.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
I knew this one was being offered direct from Honda, but I am sure they have a markup on it when the dealer offers it.

You probably paid the full MSRP price of $870 for the 4 year with roadside assistance Honda Extended Warranty from that offer that was mailed to you....that is the price listed on the Honda site.

You could have saved approximately 38% buying the same exact policy from a Honda dealer selling at discount like the dealer mentioned in this thread.

I bought the factory 4 year Honda Extended Warranty without roadside assistant that listed at $770 for $495 from that dealer I mentioned in this thread...they had the best pricing in the country at the time I bought the policy.

BTW you can buy the Factory Honda Extended Warranty from any Honda dealer of your choice and you can bring your bike for warranty repair to any Honda dealer....doesn't have to be the dealer you bought the bike from or the dealer you bought the extended warranty from.

· Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone bought a warranty from that Cycle Parts dealer at their discounted price in this thread and actually had to use it? Was your claim approved and paid in full?

Has anyone called HondaCare to confirm it's a real factory HondaCare warranty and will be covered at all Honda cycle dealers?

I'm a bit skeptic, being the age of scammers and because that business has a F rating on BBB and a 1 out of 5 score on other seller review sites.

Thanks

· Registered
31 Posts
Actually, it's just the opposite. You can negotiate a lower price thru your dealer and get it for much less. Mine was almost half the price for the same factory warranty. The dealership made a little money on the deal that they wouldn't have otherwise if I had paid the full price to the manufacturer directly. Wait until Honda sends an offer in the mail and take it with you to help with negotiating a lower price.
I did not know that, thanks for the heads up! Usually when a dealer wants to haggle on something, I feel it is a bit scammy, so I tend to decline them, maybe I'm dumb for that but it is what it is.

· Registered
31 Posts
You probably paid the full MSRP price of $870 for the 4 year with roadside assistance Honda Extended Warranty from that offer that was mailed to you....that is the price listed on the Honda site.

You could have saved approximately 38% buying the same exact policy from a Honda dealer selling at discount like the dealer mentioned in this thread.

I bought the factory 4 year Honda Extended Warranty without roadside assistant that listed at $770 for $495 from that dealer I mentioned in this thread...they had the best pricing in the country at the time I bought the policy.

BTW you can buy the Factory Honda Extended Warranty from any Honda dealer of your choice and you can bring your bike for warranty repair to any Honda dealer....doesn't have to be the dealer you bought the bike from or the dealer you bought the extended warranty from.
I know I can take it to any dealer, if it came across like I was suggesting otherwise, then I didn't mean it that way.

Yes, I did pay $870, I don't remember what they were trying to get me to pay at the time I bought it, but if you got a deal, that is great. At the time I was sitting in the room with the dude I didn't feel comfortable agreeing to his particular pitch of the warranty, and I wasn't sure I would keep the bike so I decided to wait. Seems that cost me $370, so be it, I feel better taking the time to decide for myself a few months after. I'm clearly indecisive on many things but I absolutely hate when dealers pull out the warranty sheets and ultimate coverages.

The fact you can negotiate the warranty with the dealer at the time is also something I hate but am glad I know now. Like, if you are not great at the haggle you pay more, that is just stupid. I was there to pay for the bike, that is all I wanted to do, I'm happy (even if I overpaid) to take time and decide on the warranty for myself. Maybe that is stupid but I feel better about it.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts