Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an extended warranty offer letter from Honda as my one year mfg warranty is coming up.
This is my first Honda and understand they are fairly reliable so not sure if it would be worth it as covers mfg defects in parts not regular wear. But 3 years for US$795 is not too bad if something goes wrong with bike.

I know it can be random on what happens to individual bikes but would be interested in owners thoughts on this? Worth it or not?

· Registered
463 Posts
I'd say no.
It doesn't cover wear items, it doesnt include oil changes, typically electronic failures occur within the first couple of months, no failures? then good to go. Hondas are reliable, the 1100 dct is from the africa twin lineage so no new technology to go wrong there. Maybe if you were a high milage rider 40-50 k miles a year and (or) you need the peace of mind that IF a factory part should break you have an extended warranty. to fix it. $ 795 would probably cover 3 or 4 service calls to your dealer.
But in the end it has to be your decision. Have you had to have any warranty work so far on you motorcycle?

· Registered
157 Posts
I bought the extended warranty with a new 2018 Rebel 500. If I recall, it was good till 2024 and cost what you're quoting above. Sold the bike in 2020 and the extended warranty was transferred to the new owner. The transfer was a sale plus. 18 months of my ownership and 4000 miles - never an issue. Have since purchased a Triumph Bobber with no extended warranty - 2 years and mfg warranty has just expired, 6000 miles, no issues. Probably not worth $800 for 3 years coverage IMO.

· Registered
2021 Rebel 500
632 Posts
I was thinking the same. I have owned three Jeeps and a GMC before that. I purchased an extended warranty every time. In three of the four cases, I had no claim at all. In the one case where I had a claim, the issue was a defective radio. The extended warranty covered the radio completely. The cost of the extended warranty exceeded the cost of the new radio more than twice over. I can honestly say that all four times I lost the bet.

I read over the bike extended warranty. Most of the items covered seldom break except electrical parts, and maybe the cooling system (fan, or radiator). I will put $800 in savings and keep that for repairs.

From what I read, the pricing of extended warranties is calculated by using statistics. They take the average cost of repairs on the make and model (or similar model) over the last five years, and and multiply that number by three. If that is true, then Honda expects the average cost of covered repairs over the next three years to be about $260.

· Registered
450 Posts
There is no extended warranty that is worth it.
If new, there is a warranty to cover the new build problems.
If you take car of the engine, you'll not need any big repairs for years.
If your worried, start a small saving just for repairs. It will grow until you need it.

· Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say no.
It doesn't cover wear items, it doesnt include oil changes, typically electronic failures occur within the first couple of months, no failures? then good to go. Hondas are reliable, the 1100 dct is from the africa twin lineage so no new technology to go wrong there. Maybe if you were a high milage rider 40-50 k miles a year and (or) you need the peace of mind that IF a factory part should break you have an extended warranty. to fix it. $ 795 would probably cover 3 or 4 service calls to your dealer.
But in the end it has to be your decision. Have you had to have any warranty work so far on you motorcycle?
Thanks for input. No warranty work so far and I do most maintenance myself on the bike.

· Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
1,176 Posts
There is no extended warranty that is worth it.
If new, there is a warranty to cover the new build problems.
If you take car of the engine, you'll not need any big repairs for years.
If your worried, start a small saving just for repairs. It will grow until you need it.
+1

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Shop around...I'm looking at a Honda 48 month Protection Plan for $495 for my CMX 1100 DCT. I've got another request for pricing in at another Honda dealer that has discounted plans. Will see what the best deal is out there and then decide to buy or not.

Reactions: industrialfish

· Registered
450 Posts
Funny - Just yesterday I got in the mail a very, very important looking letter.
It was for my 2010 Focus. The one that is 12 years old. The one with 125,000 miles on it.
The letter said my warranty had expired and they could give me an extended warranty !!!!
I'll pass!!

· Registered
2022 Rebel 1100, 2019 Rebel 500, 2017 Ducati Diavel, 1974 Husqvarna 250WR
59 Posts
So far no need for the Honda extended warrantee. So on my 2019 Rebel 500's first oil change I drove it over to my Ducati dealer and picked up my Diavel. The local Honda dealer has never worked on the Rebel. I think most of you would be very circumspect to have this Honda dealer put a wrench on your bike. Not only do they sell Hondas they also sell Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki and four different brands of electric bikes, scooter, ATV ,trail bikes. The service manager has way to much going on there. The service department is like a three ring circus that needs a couple of more ring masters. The service manager has to look up any technical question on the Rebel.

On the opposite end my Ducati dealer has excellent service. Maybe because they only service two brands? My comfort level is right on for them servicing the Rebel and Diavel. However I did get the extended warrantee with the Honda. I suppose I will have to go back to the Honda dealer if anything goes wrong under warrantee. Honda's are pretty much bullet proof. Looking back this extended warrantee was a waste of money. I should have gotten the extended warrantee for the Diavel. Hind sight is 20-20:

· Registered
1,170 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Hondas have more problems than most people know. The lighter they make them and the more electronics they use are usually the reasons for failure. I've seen plastic cooling fan mounts break, servos fail, automatic transmissions stuck in gear. And these are all current models. Honda used to be the most reliable but not anymore.

· Registered
359 Posts
All warranties are quite simple. They make the company money. This is due to them not representing a negative loss leading cost to the provider. i.e. more folk have one and don’t need it rather than those that claim.
If you can afford the cost of the warranty, but may struggle with larger one off costs for repair, it may represent piece of mind to the individual. It is never ‘value for money’ unless your the unlucky individual with a large repair that would be covered. These are the exception rather than the rule.
As previous poster eloquently put its like an insurance.

· Registered
2022 Rebel 1100, 2019 Rebel 500, 2017 Ducati Diavel, 1974 Husqvarna 250WR
59 Posts
I got this not long ago and have been restoring it over the winter. Just recently got it roadworthy even with the original tires from '72. These are what Hondas reputation for relibility was built on. Not much reason for a warranty on something you can't fix yourself.

That Honda Trail 90 looks like it just rolled off the assembly line a few minutes ago! Nice job on the restro. This brings back memories of being a kid and riding through the woods. There was a kid who had a trail 90 at the time. It seemed like it just kept on running with almost no issues.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Just got an extended warranty offer letter from Honda as my one year mfg warranty is coming up.
This is my first Honda and understand they are fairly reliable so not sure if it would be worth it as covers mfg defects in parts not regular wear. But 3 years for US$795 is not too bad if something goes wrong with bike.

I know it can be random on what happens to individual bikes but would be interested in owners thoughts on this? Worth it or not?
3 years for $795 USD is outrageous....as stated earlier shop around...I found a 4 year plan from Honda for $495 USD.

Did you read what Bozo said?...read post 15 above.

I have never bought extended warranties for any vehicle or product before but am considering buying a 4 or 5 year plan from Honda for my 1100 DCT especially with the discounted pricing. One trip to the dealer for diagnoses and repair of the DCT transmission alone could cost a fortune. $125 USD a year seems like cheap insurance to me. I put approximately 10,000 miles on my 1100 in 7 months with equal mileage anticipated in the following riding seasons.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts