Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Welcome from Long Beach California. Being the father of 4 daughters and grandfather to 7 granddaughters, I love your style. (That is if you're a girl - if not I have 2 grandsons so I still love your style.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is sort of sad that you guys really thought I was serious.

I did it as a joke because I am thoroughly sick of grown adult women being treated as if they were 8 yo girls.

When I bought my boots they were available with pink bits on them. Needless to say I bought the black/white ones even though the pink ones (same model and brand) were on sale (probably because there aren't very many 8 yo girls riding motor bikes).
I managed to buy a light grey jacket without pink bits on them only to find out later that is has "venus" written on the back. What the ****? Do you have "cupid" written on your jacket?
And I can't even remove it as it's not stitched on but some sort of rubbery print that won't come off without destroying the fabric.

Male gear does not come in powder blue with little trucks on it does it?

When mentioned that I have a motorbike I get asked if I have a licence, when I wanted to buy gloves the salesperson (female!) asked me if I was riding or a passenger... (well, at least she assumed that it was possible that I ride myself :smile2:).
As if that mattered if I ever scrape down the road on my palms and knees (again) anyway.
I was putting some ratchet and socket set out the driveway with a "free" sign on it (cos I bought a new one the day before) and my neighbour asked me why *insert husbands name* was putting them out.
Uuuuhhhmm hello? It's me doing that. My husband is neither in sight nor has he anything to do with that socket set except for that we both use it.

Sorry for the rant but it's these almost daily things men never have to put up with that make women fell angry and tired and wonder if we still live in the 50s.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

I did it as a joke because I am thoroughly sick of grown adult women being treated as if they were 8 yo girls.

When I bought my boots they were available with pink bits on them. Needless to say I bought the black/white ones even though the pink ones (same model and brand) were on sale (probably because there aren't very many 8 yo girls riding motor bikes).
I managed to buy a light grey jacket without pink bits on them only to find out later that is has "venus" written on the back. What the ****? Do you have "cupid" written on your jacket?
And I can't even remove it as it's not stitched on but some sort of rubbery print that won't come off without destroying the fabric.

When mentioned that I have a motorbike I get asked if I have a licence, when I wanted to buy gloves the salesperson (female!) asked me if I was riding or a passenger... (well, at least she assumed that it was possible that I ride myself :smile2:).
As if that mattered if I ever scrape down the road on my palms and knees (again) anyway.
I was putting some ratchet and socket set out the driveway with a "free" sign on it (cos I bought a new one the day before) and my neighbour asked me why *insert husbands name* was putting them out.
Uuuuhhhmm hello? It's me doing that. My husband is neither in sight nor has he anything to do with that socket set except for that we both use it.

Sorry for the rant but it's these almost daily things men never have to put up with that make women fell angry and tired and wonder if we still live in the 50s.
Hondora,

See if there is a Litas group anywhere near you, I know we have Litas in Oklahoma and Texas. The Litas ride with the group I belong to and there is no grief for them at anytime ever.

Kenny G

·
Registered
715 Posts

Sorry if I offended you. I must have been confused by the unicorn avatar......

·
Registered
21 Posts

Unbelieveable isn't it. It's been stupidly and unnecessarily difficult for me to find nice gear that doesn't single me out as Barbie biker. I've had to compromise with some swirly patterns on jacket and gloves, but at least they're not pink or lilac.:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Well before I get beheaded here, let me just say that I like it when people are original, and stands out from the crowd! :p
Hence why I was supportive of how your bike looked like!
With that being said, I can absolutely understand what you're on about here. My mother is a total handywoman. She does literally everything by herself, practically built her own house even. And I've seen it again and again with her, she get's the same behavior from people when buying things that isn't "typically woman things"
The things she wishes for to her birthday are always new tools and such :)

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Not to make a big deal out of this, but this keeps ticking a little at the back of my head.
Because why would you actually be sad over this? Yes I get what you mean from your rant of the issue at hand here for you.
But here you display multiple pictures of what genuinely seems to be your bike and how you've "pimped" it.
And people greet you with a warm welcome and acceptance towards how you have expressed yourself through your bike. And you find it sad..?
I find it heart warming, because we are all different. At least we should all be, because man it would be a boring world if everyone of us was the exact same.
A lot of things and mods done to the Rebel bikes doesn't suit me, there is a lot of it that I personally don't like. But it's not my bike now, is it? No. But people are free to choose as they wish, and I'll respect each one of them, because that's how they want it.
So don't be offended that people thought it was your bike, you posted the pictures, you presented it to us like that.
On the other side again, you might have females out there that wishes that _everything_ came in total pink, but instead they only get tiny bits that are pink.
A coin always have two sides to it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fletch:
OH NOOOOOO!!!!!! I completely forgot to ask him if he will allow me to ride a motorbike :crying:
I really hope he says "yes". Maybe I make him a cake and ask him really nice.

Kenny:
The litas.....did you have a look at their webpage? It seems it's for lingerie models calling each other babe ( https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=babe&page=4 ), riding Harleys. To me it looks more like a male Fantasie of what a female bike club should be.
Anyway, there isn't a chapter where I live.

Miffik:
I think I saw your picture. Can you use a fine black permanent marker to black out the swirls?
I also managed to find unisex gloves without the mandatory flowers/swirls embroidered.
It pays to have a look at the mens section for gear because that is where they were hiding the unisex gloves.

Gary:
Do you call all adult women "girl"? Would you like to be referred to as a "boy"?
Escapes me what the unicorn has to do with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts