Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Rebel 500. I think the bikes is far from perfect but the test ride was so much fun I had to have one. Loved the riding position and the engine feel and sound. Not totally hooked on the look though. That tiny tank looks a bit weedy and the capacity is too low. That needs improving. The tiny front mudguard is practically useless. I've been out in the rain a few times and the spray off the wheel is caking my rad and my riding trousers are saturated below the knee within 3 minutes if the roads a slightly wet. So a new front mudguard and a bigger tank are top of my list of new bits. Anyway I'm trying to get as many miles on the clock as I can but the September weather here in the uk is trying its hardest to stop me.
Interested to hear how everyone else is finding the bike. What do you like and what would you like to see improved/changed?

Dan

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Babe,

Welcome to The Forum.

Ride Safe....I remember the wet streets and wet roads in London when I picked up my new Norton Commando during autumn of 1973.....

Kenny G

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome to forum

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You're always welcome to visit Israel, rent a bike and enjoy a proper winter with very little rain.

I think what I like most about the bike are the following:

* Unintimidating - feels great for a first bike (my case), engine, breaks, gear all behave predictably and provide confidence while riding
* Great for both in and out of city. Light and small enough to handle in city traffic. Strong and balanced enough to ride on the highway / dual carriageway etc.
* Great torque in low gears - excellent for rides in the city or busy roads
* Love the way it looks - It has character which is not something I can say for the Vulcan S for example. I also enjoy the attention I get in traffic lights :)
* It's a Honda - parts are reasonable, it should be reliable and easy / not too pricy to maintain.

Things I'd improve:

* Stock seat is crap, although as I gather, most stock seats are, and the Rebel's is actually pretty good comparing to other bikes. Easy fix at a local upholstery
* Gearbox is a bit fiddly at times, and annoys the **** out of me, especially in lower gears.
* First gear is too short - This is, as I understand, due to tradeoffs made by Honda in torque vs. speed
* No center jack - seriously, how hard can it be to have one as an OEM part
* Fuel tank is a bit on the small side - Another couple of liters there wouldn't go amiss

All in all I have to say, I love my Rebel and am looking forward to a long and happy relationship with her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello from Wales. I managed to get my 600 milehttp://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10505&thumb=1s for the first service in before the weather gets worse. 600 miles of wet riding.I'm the short one at the back.

i would like dog levers on both sides. More affordable after market parts. I need a windshield. Probably need a bigger bike for long long journeys. Great around town, brilliant at filtering and slow riding. Enjoying it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Wales has a lot of rain yes.
I’ve always been lucky when I’ve visited that region, love camping there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello from Wales. I managed to get my 600 milehttp://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10505&thumb=1s for the first service in before the weather gets worse. 600 miles of wet riding.I'm the short one at the back.

i would like dog levers on both sides. More affordable after market parts. I need a windshield. Probably need a bigger bike for long long journeys. Great around town, brilliant at filtering and slow riding. Enjoying it.
Sunny Wales...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just bought a Rebel 500. I think the bikes is far from perfect but the test ride was so much fun I had to have one. Loved the riding position and the engine feel and sound. Not totally hooked on the look though. That tiny tank looks a bit weedy and the capacity is too low. That needs improving. The tiny front mudguard is practically useless. I've been out in the rain a few times and the spray off the wheel is caking my rad and my riding trousers are saturated below the knee within 3 minutes if the roads a slightly wet. So a new front mudguard and a bigger tank are top of my list of new bits. Anyway I'm trying to get as many miles on the clock as I can but the September weather here in the uk is trying its hardest to stop me.
Interested to hear how everyone else is finding the bike. What do you like and what would you like to see improved/changed?

Dan
Welcome to the forum!

Ride safely

1 - 10 of 10 Posts