Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
62 years old here, two weeks to 63. Been going through bikes faster than old socks the last few years, trying to decide what I want to ride, and for a few spells, if I even want to ride. Right now I’m on a 6-month-old Honda CB650R. Loved the retro-ish looks from the moment I saw it, but the ride is very sport-like, really more sporty than I’m comfortable on, and to be honest, a whole lot more performance than I’ll ever need or use. Yeah, that ‘little’ 650 fairly screams. But, like so many others that have come and gone, it’s a great bike, but it’s just not screaming to me to ride it.

Before that it was a Monkey that lasted for 1 year, after about a 3-month period that I thought I was done riding. Before that a Valkyrie 1800 for a couple of years, before that a CTX1300 that I totaled. And a long, long list of more before-thats. Anyway, it’s been just about one season with the CB and I’m already looking for the next thing ... that’s never a good sign.

I don’t ride a whole lot any more. At my peak, I probably put about 4-5000 miles a year on a bike. The last 8-10 years it’s been more like 1000-1200 miles a year. So I don’t live to ride, but still don’t think I’m quite ready to hang it up. Gone are the days that I had to have big and powerful. Now I just want comfortable, affordable, and can keep up with highway traffic for the times I need to. I don’t do bike nights any more, I hate the crowd that group rides bring, I don’t even have a regular riding buddy any more. So my riding is pretty much solo, and 1-2 hours a pop is about all my butt cheeks can handle these days.

I’m a very average size guy, 5’9”, 180 lbs. I’ve been watching the bike news lately and seeing that it looks like Honda could be coming out with a Rebel 1100, which looks like it would be a very right-sized machine, but I’m guessing that’s going to miss the ‘affordable’ checkbox. For the amount I ride, I just cannot justify paying more than $7-$8k on a bike any more. The Rebel 500 is looking more and more like a closer look might be in order. And my first step in taking that closer look is typically joining a forum like this before deciding whether to pull the trigger. Again. Should be an easy sell to the missus, since it’s less than the CB, if I decide to do the stupid and trade in a 1-year-old bike in the spring. Or worse, trade it now - my local dealer happens to have a black Rebel 500 in stock.

So here I am again, looking for somebody to talk me off the ledge. Or not.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It’s real fun on this side of the ledge though! I’m probably “too big” for this bike but I love it, and I have the 300 at that. The 500 checks all the boxes you listed, the only question is, does it call to you? At the very least take one for a spin.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Never considered or gave a second glance to any bike with this type of styling, but it was the only new bike we could find that my petite wife could flat foot and was also comfortable with its weight. She asked me to run it and get the first service done, so after putting 600 miles on it in a couple of days I returned it to the dealer and was so impressed by how much fun this bike was ordered one for myself whilst hers was being serviced and picked mine up later that week.
I still have no real love for the styling but that's more than offset by how much enjoyment I get out of it and it'll be the last bike to leave the garage.

Definitely worth a test ride if only to dismiss it from your short list.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
59 Posts
Danny - I'm on the 650forum as well and would not recommend going down to a Rebel for any of the reasons you mentioned. I own the 2019 CBR650R and Rebel 500 and would not get a Rebel again unless you're absolutely in love with the look. It's a very budget minded option in terms of parts, ride, etc. Not bad, but everything was made to a price point and Honda is selling above that point on the looks. If you're looking for a comfortable and reasonably priced cruiser I would look towards the Vulcan 650 or Bolt. Both are in the same range, and offer a lot more bike for the $$.

Bottom line - get off the ledge!! Keep the CB650 as it's much nicer than either option I mentioned above. Only get the Rebel if you love the look and can live with what I consider to be subpar everything for the price. Don't get me wrong I still love it, but would I walk into a dealer and buy it again after 5,000 miles - absolutely not at anywhere near the Honda asking price!

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have an MT-07 as well as the 500. I enjoy riding them both - alternating rides. Both bikes are budget, but that does not stop them being fun. I like the comparatively low weight of both. I bought both used so price not so critical. My aged opinions are 17 years ahead of you BTW, Danny.

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500
17 Posts
I've had my Rebel 500 for about 5 months now and have put about 6,000 miles on it. Almost all of them being empty back roads where the bike can hum along at speeds I take up to about 70MPH (it has more in it than that, but I have no need to ride any faster than that). My commute is a little over 40 miles each direction, and with infrequent stops, turns and three rail road crossings it takes my just under an hour for the trip It is an absolute pleasure to ride this bike on the smooth roads, but the bumpy sections rattle my spine. My other bike is a CRF 250 Rally and it's amazing how much better that bike feels on the rough spots.

I plan on keeping both bikes forever because of how good they are in their own way, and I'm very glad that I have both bikes. The 500 engine is just so much more smooth and powerful than the 250, but the suspension on the 250 is itself awesome (on the road - for off road I'm thinking of upgrading to a better bike, then I'll have three in the stable)

So I can neither talk you back from nor over the ledge. The Rebel's suspension concerns are legitimate. I'm 6' and 240 lbs. But for its price and performance it's a suspension upgrade and/or seat upgrade from being the perfect bike for me.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
64 Posts
If Honda releases a Rebel 1100, hope they release a engine conversation kit so I can bump up this little 500 engine.

If you want it, go for it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Similar story here. It's my second come back to riding, just 5 years ago I was riding HD Heritage Softail. Now I'm 58, keeping balance at low speeds, coming to a stop became somewhat of a problem. Rented Rebel 500 last week and loved it, felt at home right away; bought it the same day. Put about 300 mi in the last few days - it's so easy to ride and maneuver, so light. I'm 6' 230 lbs, but I feel OK size-wise. Sure, no comparison with bigger faster 1.8 liter engines as far as torque, but still perfectly fine to ride in north GA mountains. My advice - rent it for a day, you might be surprised. And it's a lot of fun!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't buy new or from a dealer, that is assuming you know what you are doing. There are plenty of low mileage top rate bikes that have been bought by older people and just not used.
The 500 is a fun bike and as a 66 year old it is enough for me. I find it a willing friend that just loves to tootle along the back roads. On a motorway it's the slow lane for me and my only real gripe is that it's so light that sidewind is a bit challenging. Stay young and get the wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an older gentleman myself, I HIGHLY encourage replacing the seat. It will make your rides much more enjoyable. Other than that I have left it stock.

There are a lot of good used 2017 ones around. But the 2020 has better suspension. I first road an older 300 (2017), and then a new 500 (2020). So not quite an apples to apples comparison. The 500 feels better both from a power standpoint, but also from the ride itself. It’s a fun bike, but not a coast to coast cruiser for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts