Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone has used this solorack from Hepco & Becker:

https://www.hepco-shop.de/solorack-ohne-rueckenpolster-schwarz-16201.html?___store=english&___from_store=german

Need something that will hold a Kriega DryBag (US20 size).

Cheers,
sombaht
Baht,

I have the MC Enterprises rack and it works quite well for carrying any kind of soft bag or package and it is somewhat less expensive than the Hepco & Becker rack.

MC Enterprises USA
Scroll to the bottom of the second page of the fender racks for the 2017/18 Rebel rack.

Kenny G

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kenny I saw that one already, but I need something that is flat as I will have a laptop in the pack with me. Its a pity really because I really like the way the rack follows the lines of the rear fender, looks class! :)

Cheers,
sombaht

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got their C-Bow carrier system for the saddlebags and was thinking of maybe getting this one as well. As far as quality and support goes they're great. Quick reply to all my inquiries, even got back to me after I accidentily ordered two sets of support mounts and refunded me even before they send my stuff. Quick delivery too.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi Kenny I saw that one already, but I need something that is flat as I will have a laptop in the pack with me. Its a pity really because I really like the way the rack follows the lines of the rear fender, looks class! :)

Cheers,
sombaht
The curvature of the MC Rack does not lend itself to flat cargo.

I have been trying to figure out how to make a flat floor to fit over the curved rack to haul flat objects, but I haven't come up with anything that works yet.

You cannot go wrong with the Hepco & Becker Products as they have world class quality.

Kenny G

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one of these and it works well.

Build wise its very solid and the bracketry is very good if a little fiddly to install. They use the same brackets for the rack whether you have the backrest or not and it bolts to the fender as well as to the two seat bolts.
I think cost wise its too much for what is basically powder coated bent / welded tube but there are very few options on the market and it is definitely solid.

I have a 25l rucksack with straps running to hook points where the fender bolts used to be. It can definitely hold something bigger and heavier than my rucksack but strangely it comes with a recommended load of 5kg. This seems crazy as the fender itself is obviously capable of taking body weight. I'm not sure how the weight limit would be enforced or be a danger as I'd probably break the fender before I could bend the rack.

I went for it so that I could take the seat off, still carry luggage but not worry about scratching the paint, it also still leaves me the option of going for their C-bow side bags.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually just installed that rack on my bike a few days ago to hold a Kriega US-20. Installation was straight forward and build quality seems good. Here are a few pictures of the rack and the US-20 mounted to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two24Seven,
Looks nice, I was worried whether or not it would be long enough to hold the DryBag. but it looks perfect from those pics. Thanks for posting up, appreciate it! :)

Cheers,
sombaht

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dispo/Two24Seven,
Did either of you have difficulty in fitting the solorack? I managed to mount the bracket to the rear of the seat no problem and connected the "top" part of the rack to the two holes on the bracket. However the bottom part of the rack, with the single hole is completely out of line withe the hole its to bolt into on the fender. Its a good 8-10mm out of alignment, there's no way it can be forced. I'm surprised it doesn't line up, because the quality of the materials is very good, it seems a bit shoddy that the measurements are off? :(

Cheers,
sombaht

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had some trouble yes although not by that much.

I cant remember what I did in the end, I think I had all of the bolts quite loose and did the two under the seat last, once I had them all started I was able to tighten them up properly.
I didn't have to modify the rack but I thought at the time that I might end up having to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had some trouble yes although not by that much.

I cant remember what I did in the end, I think I had all of the bolts quite loose and did the two under the seat last, once I had them all started I was able to tighten them up properly.
I didn't have to modify the rack but I thought at the time that I might end up having to.
Will try that approach tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
sombaht

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
When I installed the MC Enterprises fender rack it was a snap to get together, Probably less than 4 minutes.

Kenny G

·
Registered
145 Posts
For what it is worth - I have the curved rack from MC, and also carry a laptop on occasion. I wrap my laptop in a towel, put it in my pack, and secure my pack with a cargo net. My bag stays firmly in place. Never had an issue.

-CG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it installed earlier today. Tightening the seat bolts last definitely helps, as it gives the bracket wee more wiggle room. One mod done, so many more to go!

Thanks for the help earlier, much appreciated. :)

Cheers,
sombaht

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey RebelRider,
I do have the Kriega US20, but I haven't tried mounting it to the rear fender. I usually have a pretty full bag on my commute to work, laptop, change of clothes, lunch, few other bits and pieces. I felt the curve of the rear fender wouldn't really help keep the bag secure, especially when there is a flat laptop in that bag. A rack offers a much more stable base for a US20 size bag. Hope this helps,

Cheers,
sombaht

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey RebelRider,
I do have the Kriega US20, but I haven't tried mounting it to the rear fender. I usually have a pretty full bag on my commute to work, laptop, change of clothes, lunch, few other bits and pieces. I felt the curve of the rear fender wouldn't really help keep the bag secure, especially when there is a flat laptop in that bag. A rack offers a much more stable base for a US20 size bag. Hope this helps,

Cheers,
sombaht
Thank you. I can definitely see the issue with having a laptop in there without a rack.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts