Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modification ... story of my life.
I a NEW bike owner / rider, and had a difficult time finding a bike that will "sort of fit" me. Decided on a 300.
Mods making, shorter back shocks, handlebar risers (on the way) and adjustable levers for clutch and brake. With all this, I still CANT touch the ground (flat foot) which is what I need to feel comfortable. (I forgot to mention Im an OLDER petite woman, with a hip problem, so I need to touch the ground).

I need help with selecting a new seat. The original seat is too tall & wide. I sit close to tank, and its uncomfortable. I've come across TWO options - CORBIN ($$$) and STEADY GARAGE REGELIOS ($$). I dont mind.paying the money. I need to make sure its a great seat and will help "lower" me on the bike. Oh, heres the kicker - I live in Hawaii (shipping $$$). My other concern is returning the seat if it doesnt work. HELP PLEASE!!! Any other options I should consider? Short of finding an upholseter to custom make a seat?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have also had a Corbin seat, and in my experience the seat ended up being about 1" lower and my seating position was 1 " closer to the tank. i notice this based on measurements, where the seat sits on the frame, and the fact my knees had more of a bend than on the stock seat.
this could help you, in addition to being a little closer to the bars so could improve your reach.
and the comfort is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock POS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have also had a Corbin seat, and in my experience the seat ended up being about 1" lower and my seating position was 1 " closer to the tank. i notice this based on measurements, where the seat sits on the frame, and the fact my knees had more of a bend than on the stock seat.
this could help you, in addition to being a little closer to the bars so could improve your reach.
and the comfort is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock POS
Mahalo!!! I appreciate the advice! 🙌

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
715 Posts
Your local upholsterer is another option. A search on here will reveal other similar topics to help you. One is about 'Lowering'. Here:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Your local upholsterer is another option. A search on here will reveal other similar topics to help you. One is about 'Lowering'. Here:
I had a great plan for the 1100. I ordered an extra seat and was going to take it to a local motorcycle seat maker. Seat came in and I contacted the company and they answered that they are not taking in any upholstery jobs right now. On to plan B but there is no plan B.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I had a great plan for the 1100. I ordered an extra seat and was going to take it to a local motorcycle seat maker. Seat came in and I contacted the company and they answered that they are not taking in any upholstery jobs right now. On to plan B but there is no plan B.
surely in CA there are any number of upholstery shops that could help you Gary? I have 3 within 15 mins of my house so was able to talk/compare all 3 and decide from there. they weren't specifically motorcycle places but all had prev done bike seats, and had pix and examples to look at

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 300 ABS
19 Posts
After seeing your post, I e-mailed Steady Garage:

Looking at new seats for a 2021 Honda Rebel 300. Just wondering what the size of the Rogelios Slim Seats are (with and without gel) compared to the OEM seats.

Response:
Thanks for your email. The Slim version is much smaller than the OEM seat. It's about 1/2" lower and it's been narrow down to slim it out. The gel or no gel would not change the seat size as the gel padding sits inside of the foam. I'm about 5'5" and the slim seat is what I run on my Rebel 500. It's comfortable and allows me to be positioned lower. Also. some slim seat has more photos than the other, please browse through the product pages of the other seats to see if you would see the seat-mounted onto the Rebel.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

I'm about to order mine with the gel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome! Thank you for sharing. You got a better response than I did. Woman mentioned she was 5'5" and it helped her. Um, I told her I was 4'9" and specifically asked for dimensions so I can compare to OG seat. Got no dimensions, and not really much help.
Please let me know how you like it, with the gel. Im still on the fence about a new seat.

Ride on sister!!! 🙌

·
Registered
5 Posts
Modification ... story of my life.
I a NEW bike owner / rider, and had a difficult time finding a bike that will "sort of fit" me. Decided on a 300.
Mods making, shorter back shocks, handlebar risers (on the way) and adjustable levers for clutch and brake. With all this, I still CANT touch the ground (flat foot) which is what I need to feel comfortable. (I forgot to mention Im an OLDER petite woman, with a hip problem, so I need to touch the ground).

I need help with selecting a new seat. The original seat is too tall & wide. I sit close to tank, and its uncomfortable. I've come across TWO options - CORBIN ($$$) and STEADY GARAGE REGELIOS ($$). I dont mind.paying the money. I need to make sure its a great seat and will help "lower" me on the bike. Oh, heres the kicker - I live in Hawaii (shipping $$$). My other concern is returning the seat if it doesnt work. HELP PLEASE!!! Any other options I should consider? Short of finding an upholseter to custom make a seat?
I'm new to the Rebel (500) for similar reasons, 89 years old. The bike is a perfect fit for my shrinking frame, but the seat is horrible. I have used several aftermarket seats on other bikes, but Corbin was the king...for me. The Corbin can be built to be slightly lower on special order, but at about $460 plus shipping, it's pricey. Perhaps you could have someone local modify the seat pan, narrowing it for easier reach to the ground, and padding it to your specs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Say what?! 89 years young!!! DANG - I'm utterly amazed at your grit!
Mahalo for sharing your experience with your Corbin seat. Once I figure out if I can handle riding, I'll decide on my seat situation. Truly my options are: custom made locally, seat from Steady Garage (waiting on feedback from TnyRdr), or Corbin. I hope they get back to me soon with estimated shipping costs to Hawaii.
I putter on my bike on the weekend. Just a few quick laps around the neighborhood at the moment since I'm still "green". That whopping 20-30 mins just drain me mentally, emotionally, and physically. I am scheduled to take a motorcycle class at the end of May. IF I pass, that will help me with getting my license from the DMV. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you've fitted shorter rear shocks then lower the front end to help compensate for the change in geometry by raising the fork tubes through the clamps by 15mm - no more than this as the threaded section of the tube will no longer be completely compressed by the fork clamp. The seat height will sit slightly lower after moving the forks. Just watch the side stand when parking

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
715 Posts
The sidestand might need reducing in length with a lowering of the bike, although not by as much as you might think. I had to reduce mine by 3mm associated with a lowering of about 25-30mm. I ground the foot thinner.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 300 ABS
19 Posts
I just installed the Regelios Slim seat. It does sit lower. I took these pics with the seat propped up to sit even, but I didn't realize until install that beneath the OEM seat are 2 clips that make it about an inch taller and the tools fit under. So it is lower than what the first pic shows. I was too impatient to mess with the tools and put them under the new seat.

IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2152.JPG

It is slimmer in the front also. Not sure if I'm crazy, but it seems like there is more gap where the gas tank is. My thighs are actually able to touch the plastic bits on the frame now.
IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2156.JPG

Not sure if I can flat foot yet. I wasn't wearing my bike shoes and my garage floor is uneven dirt. Rain is supposed to stop tonight, so tomorrow I'm going to be doing some practice stuff and can update this post. Totally a more comfy sit. Plus, I'm really digging the stitch pattern.
IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2157.JPG

UPDATE: The seat is more comfy IMO. Now I'm not right on the tank either. My feet aren't flat yet, but closer (always close but too far). I have a bad knee and bruised it while walking the clutch in 1st because I'm using muscles I assume the normal sized people don't use.

FWIW, I have a 26" inseam. If your legs are longer it may work. But for the price and where you live, I'm hesitant to say to get the seat for lowering purposes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts