Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an odd one. I've owned any number of mountain bikes, waverunners, etc. I picked up an old 90s Rebel 250 to wrench on and learn to ride, and after a few weeks of riding decided to move up.

So then I bought a pristine Rebel 300 to ride on.. and if I ride more than 10-15 mins, my lower back absolutely kills me the next day. I'm in pain for 2-3 days after every ride.

I can't explain this. When I am on the bike, nothing feels particularly wrong with my riding position to me. I'm not uncomfortable, and while the rebel 250 felt small (I'm 5'11) the 300 technically feels like I fit better - only complaint would be that my legs feel a bit cramped/pushed up.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas? I hate to say it but short of some brilliant suggestions I'll probably have to sell the 300.

·
Registered
939 Posts
could very easily be the seat. that's probably the first thing most people complain about. perhaps its the way it compresses certain areas in the lower back.
i'm no Doctor so cant get technical ya know?
but there should be any number of minor things you could try before you think about the final straw of Selling it Off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It takes a while for your body to get into "riding condition" give it a little more time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would find some suitable foam and get rid of the seat's 'scoop' shape, as an experiment. I am more comfortable on a flat seat (as mine is now). However, it could be that the bike's seat/handlebars/footpegs positions do not suit your frame. Just my pen'orth (I am no expert either!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
How about the bars. Are they in a good natural position or are you reaching and have your neck and spine in an un natural position?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How about the bars. Are they in a good natural position or are you reaching and have your neck and spine in an un natural position?
That's the odd thing - I don't FEEL like I'm doing anything unnatural when I'm sitting on the bike.

I'm not looking at it now - how much adjustment, realistically, is available to me on any of these things?

My fear is that if I throw $300-500 at a seat and it doesn't dramatically change anything I've just thrown that $ out the window and then I'll have a used rebel and a used seat for sale.

For laughs I took the waverunner out on a 45 min ride last night - and don't feel a bit worse for the wear. 45 mins on the bike and I would be waking up feeling like I lost a bar fight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts