Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This has been a nightmare job and I’m hoping to get some advice so I can get my bike back on the road.

Right from the get go, I struggled for about 2 hours to remove the stock grips from the Rebel 1100. I have blisters all over my fingers from pulling in the rubber grips so much. I managed to get the left grip off but ended up just cutting off the right grip.

I’m now trying to install the left grip and it is just completely stuck half way on the bar. I have put white grease as directed and it’s just jammed up in there. I haven’t even bothered trying the right grip at the moment.

Is there a trick to doing this? Anything I can do to push it all the way? I have tried pushing it as hard as I can but will tip the bike if I push any harder. I can’t believe it even suggests to add glue at the end - there is no way in hell these grips are coming off. Please someone save my sanity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have two techniques I've used to install heated grips (Oxford and Koso models):

First thing you can try is to plug in the grips so you can turn them on then crank them up as hot as they go. The thermal expansion should loosen the left one up just enough to slide it on. Make sure to twist it as you push but of course you'll have to then unplug the wire first so it doesn't coil around the handlebar.

Second is to beat it into submission which you can try at your own risk of possibly damaging them although I think the odds of that are low. Take a little scrap piece of 2x4 or similarly sized wood, hold it up against the end up the grip, then beat the damn thing on with a hammer. I had to do that with the set of Apollo grips I had. They survived being installed that way on two different bikes.

Also as a general tip for installing or removing rubber grips like the stock ones, if you have an air compressor, get one of those small rubber nipple tips or a tip that inflates basketballs, crank the PSI all of the way up, then slip the tip under the edge of the grip. Releasing the air will lift up enough of the grip to reduce its friction allowing you to slide it off or on pretty easily.

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
116 Posts
I had the same problem. Here is the post I added to another post who seemed to get his heated grips with no problem.

Warning for OEM heat grip installers:
I just installed the Honda heat grips on the bike. The paper instructions are fairly useless so FatheadPatt's posting on this page definitely helped.
Mostly easy to install but ran into a major problem people should be aware of.

When it came time to put on the left grip, it slid on 1/2 way and wouldn't move or turn any more (no adhesive was applied at this point). I tried hand twisting, pliers with grip wrapped in towels but no movement what so ever. I don't know if the grip was out of spec or my handlebars but nothing I could do in my garage would move this grip.
I ended up taking to my motorcycle dealer and they had to apply lot of lube and special pliers to twist the grip on. Even they ran into the issue of the plastic end piece with temp button popping off during the install.
Also a minor install issue note. I couldn't figure out where/how the cable bracket goes (this is the one where you remove the handlebar nut). So didn't use this and just zip tied it.

But grips works fine now and look forward to using it as cooler weather rolls in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, looks like I’ll need to take it to the dealer. Absolutely ridiculous that OEM grips would fit like this. I totally get wanting a snug fit but there is a plastic piece that wraps around the bar so there’s no excuse for why this is out of spec like this. I used white grease as was detailed in the instructions and have since used up an entire can of WD-40, tried heating them on max. She won’t budge one bit from that center point.

I did try tapping with a rubber mallet and unfortunately chipped a bit of the inner plastic, didn’t move at all either - luckily the heater still seems to work fine.

I have an appointment booked at the dealer next week - pretty pissed off.

I would strongly recommend anyone looking in to the OEM heated grips for the Rebel 1100 to let the dealer figure out install. Not worth the headache.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All right guys, thought I would report back. I could only get an appointment at the dealer next week which means missing out on a few potential rides (riding season is nearly over here).

I refused to be defeated by these cursed grips and I thought screw it, I grabbed a big 2x4 and a rubber mallet, doused the inside of the grip and the remaining half of the handlebar with WD-40 and just hammered the sh*t out of it. It took some VERY hard hits and frequent WD-40 sprays but I managed to get it on fully. The indicator/button is not really at the angle I want but there is no way to twist the grip so I’m fine with it.

Unfortunately the little plastic casing for the button slightly broke, but I used the super glue I bought for the install to keep it shut - seems fine. Did not put any glue on the grip itself. The right grip was very easy to put on, as it was just a swap of the grip and plastic that attached to the throttle body.

Happy it’s over with - would never tackle this again!

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
116 Posts
Sorry to hear of the work and congrats on getting it done. I also tried to whack it with a rubber mallet but still wouldn't budge.
On the indicator button, I also had to super glue it together as it popped off when the dealer whacked the handle on. There is a little screw in the plastic...that helps align it.
I used mine for the first time this weekend through the mountains/fog and it was great...hope you will enjoy it as ell.

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT
116 Posts
Did Honda make them specifically for the Rebel 1100? Sounds like trying to get a 7/8" grip onto a 1" bar
Yup it is the part straight from Honda's site for the Rebel 1100. Right grip went on fine and easy with no problem. The left one is a total defect in engineering/design as nothing including dish detergent, lube (didn't try the hand sanitizer) worked.
Even the dealer who I finally put on the grip said this thing is a mess for fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts